Suggested speakers for Fisher 500C

Username: Anfinj

Post Number: 1
Though I am not very audio-knowledgeable, I did make a great decision in 1965. I bought a Fisher 500C. I recently got it out of the attic and into fine working shape. My original speakers went to college with my son and never returned. Now,I have been out of the audio shopping arena so long, I would like some suggestions from those 500C fans as to which of today's mid-priced speakers would complement this receiver. I enjoy classical, hard rock of all kinds, big band,and vocalists; about everythin but country and rap.
Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4844

The Fisher has enough power to drive most reasonably efficient designs above approx. 87dB. Listen to what you are considering with the Fisher to get an idea of what the combination sounds like. The Fisher is a bit "old school" when it comes to overal balance and you want to make certain what you buy is not competing with the amplifier's '60's sound compared to the (sometimes overly) lean transistor sound of today's HT receivers the speaker might be designed to work with. Find a speaker with top notch midrange and you should have lots of fun and enjoyment from the combination.

Have you had the Fisher gone over to check for bad caps and power supply stability?

Username: Anfinj

Post Number: 2
Jan,
Thanks for advice. Check-up?
Luckily I found Audio & Video Services in Roanoke VA (near me). It has old peeling Fisher Service decals on its door, but still offered great, inexpensive Fisher service. They replaced a #7591 tube, fuse, 2 resistors and 2 caps, plus some ammenities for $64. So, it's in great shape.
Thanks again.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4870

You might want to consider retubing the entire amp. Any idea how many hours are on the stock tubes?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us