I Need Help Connecting a guitar through the computer

Username: Anarchist41289

Post Number: 1
I want to run my guitar through my computer so i can record tracks, however, I can't get any sound amplification out of the speakers when i play. I bought a 1/4 inch adapter and i plugged it into the microphone jack, i can record but i cant hear it. I tried using my foot pedal, it has pre amp capabilities, but still no sound... Please help!

Thanks...

Username: Carlssounds

Post Number: 2
This might help. I think you need a mixer connected between your guitar and computer. When you say 'can't get no sound' I presume you mean from your sound card not speakers attached to mixer? turn the volume up on your mic input on your sound card but not too high. Have you onboard sound [this is crap]? A good sound card will have excellent analogue to digital conversion [dac]. This may help. I recorded sound from technics tape deck to pc with low specs and onboard sound. The results were horrific even using decent pc software. P>S Does a mixer amplify sound from turntable to sound card so recording can be done on pc?

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 208
a guitar level signal should be pretty close to a mic level signal in volume and impedence. that isn't the problem.

what you should do is go to your soundcard's mixer if you have one.

on my turtle beach card, i have to go to the 1st page to select what source i'm using as a recording input... mic, line, CD etc.

then, i have to go to a second page where each choice has it's own volume controls and mute/unmute buttons.

if your mic input isn't selected, is muted, or doesn't have the volume turned up, you won't hear anything.

if you don't get anywhere with THAT route, go to your control panel to make sure that your sound card is selected as the default.

other than that... the last possible thing that you could do (that i know of) would be to click on your windows mixer. (on my PC, it's on my taskbar and looks like a speaker, but i think i chose for it to be there)

one click on it will give you your master volume and 2 clicks will give you your deeper mixer features (other inputs)

let me know if this solves your problem.

i'd first go to the soundcard's mixer. all it takes is one mute button to MUTE an input.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us