The best speakers for my system??

Username: Cody0

Ft. Worth , Tx US

Post Number: 1
I am new to forums first off, so bare with me. I have purchased a new reciever, Yamaha (I am not sure of the exact model but it was around $450) I also have a Bose center speaker.....so my next purchase needs to be the surround sound speakers. Any suggestions?? I have a pair of cerwin vegas right now that I have had for about 6 years, so I need something new!!.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 391
Most people here know what I would recommend so I'll just skip that. To get a good answer you'll need to provide more information.
1. What is your budget?
2. Are you willing to gradually build your system or do you want it all now?
3. Do you want to keep your current speakers or replace them entirely?
4. What percentage of music vs. movies?
5. What type of music do you listen to most?

Ft. Worth , Tx US

Post Number: 3
OK I need to get rid of the cerwin vegas...they have been good to me but they are big and I move quite often. As far as the budget goes I am not opposed to spending a little dough, but I really dont want to go overboard...I can build. I listen to music and movies about equally. I like a wide variety...blues, country, top hits, reggea and hip hop/rap. I like bass but I like to be able to control it also. Hope that helps..??

Bronze Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 87
6. How big is your room and how loud do you like to listen?
7. Do you want floorstanding or bookshelf speakers or wall-mount?
8. Do you have, or are you going to add, a subwoofer?

Ft. Worth , Tx US

Post Number: 4
I want to have a versatile system that I can really blast and I can tone it down to where the sound quality and effect is still the same and as far as the room size goes....Like I said I move around a lot so it varies, but this system will stay in the living room of any place I am staying.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1027
And...

6. What is the size of your room?
7. Do you want a sub-woofer as well in that budget?
8. Do you favour bookshelf or floorstanding speakers?

:-)

Ft. Worth , Tx US

Post Number: 5
Yes I would like a sub-woofer as well and as far as bookshelf or standing....I am not really sure. My room size is going to remain uncertain..I will probably be in apartments for the next year and then be in a house ...Sorry..

Ft. Worth , Tx US

Post Number: 6
I also have a question regarding the bose center piece...It doesnt seem to be putting out the sound I expected and I have adjusted the settings on the reciever...I was thinkin that it could simply be the lack of other speakers??..

Silver Member
Username: Dloweman

Post Number: 125
I would suggest that you look at the paradigm monitor series to go with your yamaha. They match well together. The paradigms are easy to drive and can play very loud but are also a great speaker. I would suggest looking at the mini-monitors for a bookshelf speaker, or the monitor 5's/7's for a floor stander. Also, I would get rid of the bose center channel, as it is very important to match the center channel to the front speakers. This leads to better imaging and overall presentation. Check out the paradigm cc370. This is just a suggestion, there are so many great speakers out there from companies like B&W, Monitor Audio, Klipsch, Polk, Axiom....etc...Have a listen for yourself to see which you like best. Have fun with it too, it is the best part.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1028
Ziggyzoggyoioi,

I swear I wrote my post in parallel to yours without seeing yours first! I had a few threads open earlier in different tabs. That's so... weird! When I saw your post later, I though it was mine. Until I saw mine further down. Eery.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 323
About time you stepped up and looked into an updated system Paul. I just don't like how you are now using a different name to hide behind. You may have everyone else fooled, but not me.

...Yamaha, CV's and Bose, I know I've heard someone here rant and rave about that combo before (forgot to mention the SVS sub though)....

Ft. Worth , Tx US

Post Number: 7
Thanks D-lowe the system you suggested looks really nice but seems a little bigger as well. I cannot find a solid price for these either and I am looking for someting a tad bit lower in price because of my moving around I dont need anything too permenent right now. Any other suggestions ...??..Any help is greatly appreciated

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 324
It's about time you considered an upgrade PAUL. The only issue I have is that you are using a new name to get advice because you know you're going to get $hit on if you told us who you really are...

Yamaha, CV's, and Bose... where have I heard that combo before?... You left out the SVS sub though, no love for it anymore?...

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 325
Sorry for the double posts, I am experiencing technical difficulties.

Cody - I know you're not Paul. Sorry, I couldn't help it....

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 394
Having a sound system that "really blasts" seems contrary to living in apartments. I would also venture a guess that the room sizes are going to be relatively small. Unless you're looking to get evicted you may want to consider a quality bookshelf system with matching center and surrounds, skip the sub and use bass shakers. Just a thought.

Ft. Worth , Tx US

Post Number: 8
Timn8ter-- For now you are correct about the size of the rooms but I would still like something that can crank it out when I need it or want it to. Any suggestions on the center or surround? Or bass shaker??

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1030
Cody, you should offer to sell your CVs to Paul. He could finally get rid of his Bose surrounds and experience better timbre matching first-hand. What model are they? (I'm not kidding!)

You'll have to get a new center to match your front speakers too. I don't think you'll ever be happy with the Bose center speaker.

Ft. Worth , Tx US

Post Number: 9
For now you're probably right about the size of the room but I still want something that will crank it out when I want it to and as far as the eviction deal....I have been seeing the leasing agent of the apartments for about 4 months now! Got that base covered. ;)

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 436
Paul,Paul.....Paul CV will be real dissapointed to find out your being a traitor! HA. HA.

Ft. Worth , Tx US

Post Number: 10
I am really not sure what brand they are ...they are 12", the ones with the orange around the sub..I bought them in 1996..honestly they have been outstanding speakers for when I was in college and threw all kinds of parties but I just think it is time for some new ones they are not the best for full surround sound..

Bronze Member

Ft. Worth , Tx US

Post Number: 11
excuse me I mean I am not sure which model not brand.....Well Paul I will be on your side ..Seems like a rough crowd for you buddy! lol

Bronze Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 88
Peter.. I thought you were just re-writing mine with a different priority... but eerie is right :-)

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1032
Cody,

Paul likes to yank us around a lot, so we do what we can to repay him when opportunities such as this come by. It's all in fun, really.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1033
ZiggyZoggyOiOiOi,

Nah... I tend to open up the "Speakers" page and open all the unread threads of interest at the same time in different tabs. By the time I get to the last one, it may not be up to date. Like just a minute ago I posted that line to Cody without seeing the post I'm replying to now.

Weird stuff!

Bronze Member

Ft. Worth , Tx US

Post Number: 12
Well it sounds like y'all have a good time together and I am glad to be a part of the fun!

Bronze Member

Ft. Worth , Tx US

Post Number: 13
So lets say I am going to best buy or circuit city or crutchfield to purchase .... which should I go with?? Which speakers...maybe Klipse??

Silver Member

Post Number: 439
Thats gonna depend on you Cody, you have to listen for yourself,we can give you suggestions all day,but what we like you may not like.We all like different speakers some we agree on some we dont.

Bronze Member

Ft. Worth , Tx US

Post Number: 14
Well throw me some suggestions and I will go from there..

Bronze Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 90
The first suggestion would be to avoid the big box stores like the ones you mentioned and try some smaller hi-fi shops... I'm sure there are dozens in the DFW area. There are also several internet-only companies that are well-regarded - Axiom, Ascend, Rocket, Aperion for speakers, HSU and SVS for subs are good starts. The best thing to do is set a budget and start listening... find out what kind of sound you like and don't like. That will help narrow the field down and enable better suggestions.

Bronze Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 81
My suggestion is visit Jan Vigne at work. He'll set you up.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 328
I was thinking the same thing

Bronze Member

Ft. Worth , Tx US

Post Number: 15
Athena Technologies AS-B2 Audition Series 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers with 6.5" Woofers .........what do you guys think? After this I'll simply go to the stores.

Bronze Member

Ft. Worth , Tx US

Post Number: 16
OOh I copied the wrong ones....I will just have to go listen and decide from there.....thanks guys!

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 319
Hey, I suggest we all pool our money, buy the CVs from Cody and hold them hostage until Paul pays an exorbitant ransom. :-)

In the meantime Cody, order a pair of Ascend 170s from Ascendaudio.com and ask Tim to either put you on his list for the Lings or talk with Jan Vigne and see if you can't preview the Lings with Jan when he gets them, along side the Ascends and anything else you can find in Fort Worth. Go Horned Toads!!!

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1730
That's all fine and dandy, except that I'm not looking for any new CVs.

HEH

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1040
Timbre matching Paul.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 334
Paul - woulnd't 5 CV's be better than 2?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 395
Well, you guys all know how humble I am which is why I haven't mentioned it yet, but since someone mentioned it, I do have the new center channel available now so a 5,6 or 7 channel system would be pretty good with a nice sub rolled in at 80 Hz or so. Timbre matched an' e'thing.

Silver Member

Post Number: 444
So,Tim are gonna send out a the center as well?

Bronze Member

Ft. Worth , Tx US

Post Number: 17
You say you have a new center available with a nice sub as well?? I think I am going to go with the 170's as before mentioned do you have a compatible sub, Tim?

Bronze Member

Ft. Worth , Tx US

Post Number: 18
I spoke with the people over at acsends and it seems like the 170's would be a great starting point, although I believe I will want a little deeper bass, but there will be plenty of room to add with these...Thanks for the advice

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1044
Cody, Tim makes the speakers. He meant that 5 or 7 of them would sound good with a sub dialed in at 80 Hz.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 397
I guess I wasn't clear, sorry. If you've decided on the Ascends then that's cool. I was suggesting my Ling bookshelf speakers for the main and surrounds with the new matching Rosa center channel. I do have a matching sub now for this system. It's has slightly better measured performance than the Velodyne SPL800 for less $. I'm still working on my high end subwoofer. If you're at all interested you could look at the thread titled "Ascend CBM-170 vs. Alegria Audio Lings".

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1046
Oh, so I had it wrong! Subs huh? Interesting!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 398
On the contrary, you had exactly correct. I've just never said anything about the subs I'm working on.

Username: Butchweiss

Post Number: 1
I have a similar question to the original, and am also new on this board, so please be patient. I have a sony reciever, about 5 years old, which has a 5.1 input, along with 2 pioneer 100 Cd changers and a pair of sony bookshelf speakers, that I would like to turn into rear speakers. I listen primarily to Live music, most of which is Grateful Dead, Phish, Jambands, Jazz, Electronica-Impov etc. IE-hearing every instument clearly is my main concern. My room is somewhat tiny, but I am unsure of exact specifications. I am looking to spend somewhere between $200-$400. Anyone wanna offer up some suggestions?

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1060
Andrew, so the rears are going to be for HT but your question is about new front speakers that will only pull solo stereo duty?

In that price range, I'd guess you should consider Fluance, Athena, Ascend and Ling (with the last two strong contenders).

(You see Timn8ter, you got us including yours in the lists already! ;-)

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1731
are you guys talking about boutique halfpints again???

geeez.........

Bronze Member

Ft. Worth , Tx US

Post Number: 19
Dakulis---A horned Toad fan huh? That is rare these days...Well I have looked at all of the discussions and decided .....drum roll please....I saw that the lings have a little better full range and it looks as though...through my research and looking through y'alls strings....the acsends have a good mid to upper high sec. Since I am one that really enjoys a good base drop, I believe I will go with the acsends only because I can focus those speakers mainly on the high notes and buy a sub to really take it home! I sure appreciate all of y'alls help and when I get into my new house in around 8-10 months I will definately be asking some more questions and may have to retire the ascends to the bedroom and look into a full set of the lings!! ( I do like the sound of the lings Timn8ter ) Thanks again.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1065
Trying to keep your post count up Paul?
Nothing constructive to say? Ever?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us