Home Theater Sub Woofer Problem

cobraxc
Unregistered guest
Hi there,

Ok I have bit of a problem, basically I will get my Subwoofer fixed but I'm just working out repair prices first and if anyone here could help me I would much appreciate it.

WHAT IT IS
Audioclub 300W 12" Active Home Theater Subwoofer system

WHAT HAPPENDED
I was trying to determine where to put it in my room, I was playing "bass testers" I downloaded off the internet and at the end of the day the bass started to distort all of a sudden, I turned the volume down right away then turned the power off. I had an idea of what may of happened to the speaker itself (blown voice coil) so I pushed on the cone gently to see if there is any scratchy sound and yes there is big time!

MY PROBLEM
This is a new subwoofer system I only bought a week ago, it is still under warranty but I will have to send it down to Victoria (Australia) which will cost $80 and maybe another $80 to send it back to me and I only paid $200 for it off ebay brand new sent from a home theater shop also in Victoria.

I'm thinking I could just have the speaker fixed locally here in Queensland which might be cheaper, I'm having a speaker techo coming around tomorrow to estimate a possible repair price and he said after hearing my story he might be able to do it cheaper than $80 using new good quality parts.(I would consider this to be a good option)

But I'm thinking there might be a problem with the amplifier built into the enclosure aswell and if thats the case I might void the warranty all together by having the speaker repaired locally and thus not being able to have it fixed for free in Victoria.

Preety much if it is the speaker that needs fixing I will do it locally but if anyone here thinks the amplifier could be damaged aswell from possible clipping maybe, then I may have to consider spending the extra cash to have it fixed.

Right now the unit still powers on and when playing music there is still sound coming from the speaker but it is very distorted and scratchy other than that there seems to be no other problem with it.

Please do not reccomend me selling this system and buying a new one because youv'e never heard of the brand, I am very happy with the performance of this subwoofer but due to lack of brain power I now have to fix it.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 392
It's going to be difficult saying whether or not the amp has failed unless you can put a load on it and get it hot. Many problems are revealed by heat. It's a sad story and part of the challenge of bargain gear. If it breaks it's often cheaper to replace than repair. Chances are it's just the driver and the tech will just drop a replacement unit into it so if it were me, I'd just replace the driver. This is, of course, a long distance opinion bases solely on the information in your post and my previous experiences blowing up drivers.

Bronze Member
Username: Monolgoue

Post Number: 77
Odds are heavily in favor of it just being the driver, but there is no way to know for sure. Two thoughts though -- I don't think the speaker company would fix a blown driver for free. No speaker company that I've ever heard of would cover that under a warranty. Second...if you use someone else to replace the driver, do you plan on using the same driver that is in the sub now? Any other driver will not necessarily work, there is tuning that takes place between the driver, amp, enclosure and port. If you change the driver, you can get markedly different results. That's not great, since this driver doesn't look to be very robust after all.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 393
This is correct, however, I betting it's not going to be too difficult to find a driver very similar to the one you have. One thing that could throw a wrench into it is if the amp has a hard wired boost circuit built in. If that is not factored in it could make for bloated bass response.

cobraxc
Unregistered guest
Well the speaker tech said he could just fix or replace any parts inside the speaker, he said if it is just the voice coil he will measure it up and try to find a new one, there is nothing wrong with the cone or rubber surround or magnet or frame...

Talking to my friend last night he said the same guy fixed his brothers 12" Rockford Fosgate car sub, he replaced the coil and rubber sourround and fixed a tear in the suspension? and also noticed the cone was on a slant to the left an re-balanced it.

I don't really want to put a load into it because it may just make the speaker worse and it would probably take ages to make the amp warm.

Thanks for the responses though, it is just looking like its the speaker itself and not the amp but I'll guess I'll find out when he gets here.

I have blown a car sub before due to lack of current and that went unnoticed for days and the amp is still functioning properly, o'well I'll find out!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 396
If he can *successfully* repair the driver at that price I think you've got a very good solution.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us