NEED NEW AMP TO POWER 20 YEAR OLD KEF 101s

Username: Bdunn36

Post Number: 1
My of NAD 3140 (also 20+ years old) has finally bitten the dust and I need something new to power my old KEF 101s. Anyone got any ideas for a relatively inexpensive amp?

Username: Bdavis_123

Post Number: 2
Use a cuspid 1200 watt amp. They are inexpensive and dont push the old subs too hard.

demon235
Unregistered guest
does anyone know how to put a panasonic A115U model dvd player back to factory settings? someone put a parental lock on it and forgot the password. thanks

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 319
Bryan - There are a lot of amps out there, and the price range is huge. Relatively inexpensive is different for everyone. Is the 3140 a power amp or integrated amp? I think it's an integrated. Are you lookiong for an integrated or strictly power amp?

If you're looking for an integrated, check out NAD, Rotel, Cambridge, and Marantz.

I own a NAD C320BEE integrated amp and can't reccomend it highly enough. Retail is $399, but it can be had for cheaper if you keep your eyes open. The C352 and C372 are also very good, but the are $599 and $799 (I think).

Rotel makes 2 or 3 as well at different price levels. They are generally within $100 of the NAD's at each level.

Cambridge makes a few also. They are generally a few dollars cheaper than the rest, but I think dollar for dollar the others are better.

Marantz makes an integrated - PM7200 for around $550-$600 (?). Some people love it, and some hate, it's a matter of taste.

Arcam makes a very good integrated amp for about $600 - the A65+.

These amps all have different power outputs, features, and most improtantly, sound different. The only way to really know which is best is to listen to them and form an opinion that way. Of all the ones listed (I heard all except the Cambridges) I went with the NAD 320BEE. To me it was the best choice for the money, features, sound quality, and power I needed.

Owning a NAD integrated, you most likely have caught onto the fact that they under-rate their power compared to mass market companies. The same is generally true for the rest of the companies I listed here. Don't be afraid of something that is 50 or so watts unless you are filling a huge room and need ear splitting sound levels. 50 NAD watts will run circles around 100 Sony watts.

Username: Bdavis_123

Post Number: 4
Cuspid amps are great!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us