Not enough power

Anonymous

I have a my home speakers hooked up to a receiver but when i turn up the volume the receiver turns off. I was wondering if there is way i can get more power to the speakers without buying a new receiver.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1304
Does the receiver have pre outs.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4604

You probably need different speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Pimpzeus

United States

Post Number: 18
different speakers or a home amplifier

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4613

What's a home amplifier?

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 512
it amplifies the house, duh jan...haha.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 730
lmao!!

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 312
What I think these guys are so politely trying to say is that their may be a mismatch of impedence between the receiver and speakers. Check you gear to make sure this isn't the case.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4617

What I'm saying is; if you want lots of volume, don't blame the amplifier when it can't deliver the amount you want. The amplifier has a limit to its power. Anon should have kbnown that when he bought the amplifier. Now anon wants it to play beyond its limits to get the volume he wants. The amplifer isn't going to do that because it can't. The question "can I get more power?" is a typical response from someone who doesn't understand where to get volume. Buying power to get volume is expensive. Buying volume in more efficient speakers is the best way to get to the end result anon wants.

MORE VOLUME!!!

If the system doesn't play loud enough for you, anon, buying more power isn't likely to be the answer. Look into finding some speakers with a higher sensitivity or efficiency specification. Sensitivity and efficiency are interchangeable in most cases for what you want from your system - more volume.

I've just typed another long answer to someone else who's learning how to put a hifi together. So I'll let another of these fine gentlemen explain how power and efficiency works to get volume. I'm going to get something to eat; but I'm certain someone here can give you the numbers you need to understand what I've suggested. If not, maybe you can figure it out from this:

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Have at it, guys.

Chris, where do I look for the plug ins to amplify my home? Does that really work?

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 681
Problem is, if anon really likes his speakers, he may find it difficult to replace them, especially since efficient speakers often have quite a different presentation to less efficient ones.

Another option is to use an external power amp. If the receiver has pre-outs, then a dedicated power amp could provide the power necessary to do the job.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 284
I don't want to restart an old argument but Jan you would agree then that a manufacturers stated efficiency rating has some credibility to it,as I maintained before and is not a mostly meaningless spec like wattage rating?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4634

Eric - I suggested anon purchase speakers with a higher efficiency specification. I didn't say buy speakers that the manufacturer claims are higher efficiency. I think with your background in electronics, you can see the difference between those two statements. I don't have a clue what anon owns right now, so I am at a disadvantage to do anything more than suggest what I feel is the proper alternative to the stated problem. The goal is volume from what I read. The easiest path to volume is through efficient speakers. Buying power alone to achieve higher volume levels is inefficient, costly and often just plain wrong. Power ratings being as useless as they are, you know.

Specifications are a start. Whether the manufacturer's "stated efficiency rating" is truthful is another question that we've been through once before. Even a die hard volume fanatic would be making a poor choice by purchasing the most efficient speakers if the sound wasn't considered "good enough". Looking at numbers can only get you so much information. On paper efficiency specs are about as useful in determining how loudly the system will play as horsepower is to how quickly a car will run the 1/4 mile. Not very.

As I said in the previous thread, look at the height, depth, width and weight to make certain they will fit where you want them to sit and whether you will have to hire a truck to get them home. Beyond those few numbers, listening is the final and most important test.

Does that answer your question, Eric?

Silver Member

Post Number: 289
Ok Jan I see what you are saying. Anon should consider a more efficient speaker design such as a transmission line,which I have or a ported design over a less efficient design such as an acoustic suspension. Still you and I will have to part as I think anon should consider a more sensitive speaker which the rating in Decibels at 1W/1m @2.83V input will only vary by about 3dcBl depending on the listening room characteristics, irregardless of amplification. Also I apologize if I seemed to "call" you on that one as that was not my intention. I was just curious.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4636

Unfortunately, most transmission line loaded speakers do not have the real benefit of higher efficiency compared to a vented system such as a bass reflex design. The back wave is severely restricted by damping material and the overall efficiency of the system is compromised in my experience of real world use. A good example of on paper not meeting real world.

The three factors you trade with each other in a speaker design are; efficiency, bass extension and size. Change one and you affect the other two. Given a large enough box a bass reflex design can achieve enough efficiency to satisfy all but the most ardent volume seekers. However, for those truly committed to loosing their hearing early in life, a horn loaded enclosure is still hard to beat.

Silver Member

Post Number: 290
Jan: Here are the specs for my front L&R speakers- DCM KX10 series one: enclosure type-modified transmission line, power handling- 10-150W RMS, Nominal impedence-4Ohms, Sensitivity @ 2.83V input/1W/1m-96dcBl. Frequency response- 30Hz-20kHz. driver types- 1 bullet loaded horn tweeter,1-6" polycarbonate mid range, 1- 10" coated paper woofer. I don't know about the effeciency of these speakers but let me tell you they are highly sensitive and will play loud at low volumes. the have almost a "shoutlike" character but they do sound quite good for the little money I paid for them.

Silver Member
Username: Cory

Canada

Post Number: 183
Try checking to see if your speaker wires have shorted any were, It might also triger the reciever protection
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us