Question about what speakers would be good for what im doing...

Username: Cr0sst

Post Number: 1
Hi, i have recently bought a Yamaha HTR-5890, a 980w. receiver. I've been looking at speakers and im considering buying a 7.1 speaker set from JBL's northridge series. I was looking at the EC35 3-Way Dual 5-Inch Center, the E80 3-Way Dual 6-Inch Floorstandings for the front, the E250P 12" Sub, and i was debating between the E30 2-Way 6-Inch Bookshelf and the E10 2-Way 4-Inch bookshelf. I am trying to have a 7.1 and i am going to be listing to SACD's and DVD audio but what im wondering is if i will notice a difference between the e10's and e30's for the surround or if i should use the e30's for the back and e10's for the sides. I was wondering if i should really have 3-way speakers for the surround or if 2-way would be fine. also, i was wondering what does Crossover Frequency mean and whats the difference between a 2000hz and 4000hz. It seems the more i look at speakers the more confused i get, if anyone has any input on what they would recommend i would appreciate it.

Bronze Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 26
Two way will work just fine in surround duty. The crossover frequency, without getting technical, is the point where the woofer stops responding and the tweeter takes over. Eg the woofer takes 2000Hz on down, and the tweeter takes 2000Hz on up. There are lots of little theories about how a crossover should work, but if you can't hear the difference, I wouldn't worry about it. Typically speakers with larger drivers have lower crossover points though (they can't move as fast as smaller drivers).

As for E30 vrs E10 surrounds, you could probably save some money and go with the E10's, although for your purposes the superior bass response of the E30's could be desirable.

Bronze Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 81
Not to mention the better timbre matching by having the same 6" drivers to match the fronts.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1644
Robert,
That setup will work just fine. Just be sure to listen to them before buying so you'll know what you'll be getting.

no suprises...

Anonymous

HI i have a 1995 ford contour and i was trying to replace the front door speakers. I bought 6.5 3way speaks (sony exploid) any way im wondering if they were too big or not i dont know the original size of the front door speakers

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1723
Read the top of this page......does it say "Auto-Forum"????

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 331
Geez,

D.A., Ziggy and Paul all on the same page with great advice.

Robert, not much to add although I did listen to several of the JBLs and, I really have to agree with Paul here, you need to go hear them with your receiver or workout a home audition. Yes, they'll work especially in HT mode but I think you may be able to find something that sounds better if you listen to music as often. Anyway, that's just IMHO.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us