Using car speakers(10" subs) on a home theatre system

i would like to know if it is a good idea to connect my 2 10 " subs to my home system. Will they become toasted in a month? I already have 2 pickup truck speakers attachecd to my system and they have worked fine (even after i have pounded them for about a year ) they are composed of a tweeter and 8 inch subs. I am aware that car components have 4 ohms of resistance and home stereos are designed for 8 ohms and i figure that the truck speakers work well because the tweet is 4 and the sub is 4. (please correct me if i am wrong) but i would like to know if it would be a good idea or even workable to hook up my 2 10 in subs 2 this system? sould i get another amp and a set of tweets to be able to run these subs safely? also when i hook up the subs in series with my truck speakers the sound quality is dramatically reduced, is that because the resistance is now 12 ohms? I would be eternally gratefull if somone were to share thier knowledge on this subject.

thanx
Scott
[-DeToX-]

You should connect your speaker (driver)s trough crossover to the amplifiers. You need an expert to have a look your system.

You're right, the impedance of 4 and 8 ohm speakers in series is 12ohms.
You really need another amp - a car audio amp will suffice, but better still get a home hifi amp which can run 8ohm bridged (pretty much anything made by NAD - my Monitor series 2100 power does it fine) and connect the two subs in series into the bridged output.
This should give you a couple of hundred watts into 8 ohms.
You now need to investigate into active/passive crossovers, unless you are fortunate enough to have a 5.1 decoder with a line-level subwoofer output. In this case simply connect this via a single RCA straight to the bridged amp and blow away your next door neighbour with The Matrix or something!!

First of all adding further subs means that you are either adding them in parallel or in series. if in parallel you are further reducing their impedence, putting load on your amp. If you put them in series i believe that is a worse thing that anyone can do. Dont do that. Buying an audio amp would not be able to solve the problem in such a way since the impedence would still be out. I can suggest another alternative to this if you want. write to me.

Although they really sound good if they match the whole set up. Can make a home theatre out of them at one zillionth the original cost. If you are willing to fiddle and are a tweak you might want to know what i suggest

Good Luck

Paul
Car audio speakers will certainly work in the home but as others have said, you must be very careful with impedence. You don't give alot of info on the speakers but be aware that a 4 ohm tweeter and 4 ohm woofer connected to a proper crossover is still only a 4 ohm speaker. They are not in parallel or series. The crossover splits the signal between them and the amp 'sees' only 1 speaker.
It also sounds like you are trying to connect the 10" woofers without a crossover which is a bad idea. You will need a proper sub crossover with a separate amp or you can buy a crossover ment for 2 way home speakers (can be bought from radio shack) and keep the amp you have. Can I assume the subs are in a sealed box?

i HAVE 2 12 INCH SUBS THAT I WANTED TO ADD TO MY HOME STEREO AND I WAS THINKING THAT IF I BUY A CROSSOVER FROM RADIO SHACK WILL IT BE SAFE TO THEN HOOK UP THE 12'S IN A SEALED BOX TO MY HOME SYSTEM?? KEITH SHEEHAN

Anonymous
I have a 12 in my home but it doesnt hit as hard as it would if it was in a car hooked up to an amp, my friend gave me a car amp and said it should work with my home stereo but i havent got it to work yet any suggestions??

Getto system
Ok wait I got a question. Im getto and want some bass in my car but have to wait till next month to get the JL I want. Can I put my home speaker in my car for a day or two and play off like I got some nice subs in there? Will it fry my home speakers or my car amp?

well scott i have to 10 KS hooked up to mine and i have had them for about a year on there so and it sounds great so it should work.

dakarai
can i put home speakers in my car???

Hi i just bought some infinity sperakers with crossovers with them,tpye 692.5a.Now can i hook it up to my car stero without an amp for now until i get one.And what kind of an amp do i need.A 3-way amp?They are 4 ohms and 110W rms and 330W peak.
Thank you,

hey guys SOME TIPS

Using car stereo speakers was the best decision i have made ever for my home theatre. I went that bit extra and bought two 15 inch comp subs and hooked one in my car and the other to my stereo system for the home theatre. It works like a treat!! The bass hits mighty hard.
Firstly, you must construct a ported box for the subs, the bass is then alot more louder for such a big room.
My 15 inch sub was auctually 2 ohms, and i powered it using a hi-fi system. I connect the 15 to the left channel even though the amp is rated at 8 ohms. Just connect it up, and then see how hot the heatsink gets. If it gets too hot too quick unplug to save your amp.
Using Car amps is also an excellent ideas. But you need a big power supply source right. Well the best thing to use is a computer power inverter. It powers amps well, try to get the 250W ones, the bigger ones. Small ones cut out.
Also, the connect the amp, use a resitor from the 12V to the antenna on the amp to turn it on.
Splits also work nice for the mid and treble range. Make a box and use them for just for high end crisp sound.
Other than that, 12inch subs sound better than 15 in a house i rekon. even better though is one 15 and one 12 inch in the corners of the room.
I live in australia perth
bassfreak

dakarai
can i put home subwoofers speakers in my car??/ please help

I just took my 10" subs and my 5 speakers (Infinty Entra Five Point HTS) and my HK AVR-525 A/V receiver and....

..hooked them up to my:

1962 Harley XLCH Sportster, 1200 Stroker.

lol

dakarai
can i put home subwoofers speakers in my car??/ please help

Home subs in the car are a bad idea. Home subs are 120 V. the car is 12 Volt. If you want an integrated sub/amp look into maybe Bazooka or infinity.

Anonymous
Audio drivers are designed with specific applications in mind (unless they're just total crap anyway) and as a result will have different specifications that should be considered. In general, car speakers are for cars, home speakers are for homes, pro speakers are for auditoriums. Granted there are exceptions and those exceptions are certain "crossover" designs that will work well in two different areas. I'd recommend that you learn about Thiel/Small parameters and what those measurements mean then use that knowledge to decide which speaker is going to work best for you.

timn8ter
It's about time. I've been reading through the postings on this forum and you're the first person to mention Thiel/Small parameters. You can't just grab any driver, whether it came out of car or whatever, throw it into some box and expect it to sound good. I don't care how many ports it has. Fs, Qts, Xmax, etc. all has to be calculated in to determine the size of the box not to mention cabin gain or room gain depending on where you put it. Car subs, almost always, cannot keep pace with a well designed home sub because they rely too heavily on cabin gain. They simply aren't designed to be in a large space.

Anonymous
can someone tell me where i can get a power supply to power an amp for my home theater system?

Anonymous
and how to set it up, i have been wondering about this for a long time

timn8ter
What do you mean by "power supply"? Typically a power supply in an amplifier is a combination of a transformer and a circuit comprised of capacitors and resistors. This is the most expensive part of an integrated amplifier. If this is what you mean than you'd probably be better off buying a new amp.

Anonymous
Sorry what I should of said was if I buy a car amp then I would need some sort of power suppy for my room so I could connect the fuses of the amp to it. So what I am looking for is a power supply with 12 volts and at least 20 amprees. I have been told that it is possible to connect a car amp to a home theater system so I could power my 12 inch audiobahn sub so Iam going to give it a try.

timn8ter
I don't encourage people to use car subs as a serious alternative to a good home audio sub but if it's just temporary what you're looking for is a power convertor. However, for the price of a convertor you could probably buy a powered sub that would work better. Check RV supply places like JC Whitney.

Anonymous
thanks and I already have a powered subwoofer I just wanted to give this a try

timn8ter
Are you sure the amp on your sub draws 20 amperes? Seems like a high number.

Anonymous
yeah I didn't think that 20 amprees for a car amp was very high at all.

I want to hook up extra speakers to my hi fi system using a car amp, is this a good idea, and how might i go about wiring the amp to my system

i just hooked up my new 10" rockford fosgate subs and was listening to my tunes for bout 15 mins. but after that i felt my amp. it was very hot. i know that this is not a good sign but i dont know how to fix this problem. so i unhooked the amp for now.PLz help and email me back at kylethompy@hotmail.com

Anonymous
i just purchased a legacy 1000w red series amp, and two 12" pyramid hyperpro subs in a sealed box...is it possible to connect these to my Aiwa stereo in my room? if so, how do i go about doing that?

Anonymous
(cont. from above) if anyone has any information at all, please email me at seeliej@aol.com

hey i have a Radio Shack 4 to 8 ohm converter...but i don't have a clue how 2 hook it up 2 my home theatre system? help please

Jackass
I bought this Sony 12" sub model "SA-WMM40" for just 150 bucks...I was also thinking of hooking up my 4 12" kicker comp vr's in my house but for power converters and all that other nonsense it was just better of buying this Sony 12" sub...it hits hard and delivers deep bass...its very worth the 150 dollars i paid for it and much more..I would reccommend it to anyone...I got mine from Best Buy and got a 4 yr warranty on it for just 20 bucks too...but if you aint got 150 bucks your S.O.L.

Jordan
Hey guys, i was bored one day and decided to take my home theatre 3-way speaker apart.. i took the sub out and decied i wanted to see what it would sound like in my car.. so i took my rear left speaker off, disconnected it and brought in my 3-way home speaker, i set in it the trunk of teh car.. took the wire through the back and connected just to the sub.. i turned the car on and it worked!!, so i wanted my left speaker back, and i noticed that the sub in my home speaker system had 4 prongs on the end, instead of 2 so i got another wire and brought that wire to my left speaker. i only have 2 rear speakers in my car and now a home sub, ahha.. is this ok? that the power going to my sub is then taked from the sub back to the speaker?

Anonymous
can i put a 4ohm subwoofer to an 8 ohm stereo output in my house or will it wreck the sub?

Stogie
Hey for the dude that wanted to use a car amp in your home, try using a car battery charger. Make sure you get the right charger but they put out 12 - 16 volts and that is what your car amp will need. Ive done this before and it worked. Just have a friend or someone that knows how this stuff works help ya out. Oh just make sure the charger is not a trickle charger. This wont give you a big enough continuous flow of current.

I DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE SAID!!! iF YOU WIRE A 4OHM SUB IN SERIES IT IS GOING TO COME OUT TO 8 OHM IMPEDENCE. HERE ARE THE EQUATIONS

4OHM SUB
SERIES= 4+4=8 OHM
PARALELL=4*4/4+4=
16/8=2 OHM
IF YOU HAVE A DVC SUB THAT IS 4 OHM. THAT IS THE EQUATION FOR FIGURING OUT THE OHMS.

Anonymous
Has anyone here hooked up actual car SPEAKERS (not subs) to a home audio system? If so, how did it sound?

Thanks

Anonymous
Can someone PLEASE explain to me how to hook up home(stereo) speakers to my car.I need step-by-step instructions. My speakers dont have any "plugs" or "prongs" just a negative and positive cord.i dont know how to use those with a car system??PLEASE HELP.

D. Jackson
"Has anyone here hooked up actual car SPEAKERS (not subs) to a home audio system..."

I did. See the post by Richard Spring dated 6/17.

G P
Cool... I finally found a forum with the kind of topic I've been thinking about!...

Anyway, I'm considering making a matched set of 5 speakers using 4-ohm car speakers to go with my 8-ohm home receiver but, instead of just adding a resistor to bring the speaker resistance up to 8, I'd kinda like to use two speakers per box, wired up in series.
I almost tried this out yesterday with a pair of $15 speakers from Fry's... but ended up forgetting to buy the speakers.
While I'm not sure what brand I'll use, I do know that I want either 2 or 3 ways in either 6.3/4", 6.1/2", or 6x9" sizes.
So... any input?

Yes you can use home speakers in a car with no problem.

Most car amps are designed to drive a 4 Ohm Load, so basically with 8 Ohm loads (Present in home speakers) the music won't sound as loud (More resistance) but there is no way you can fry your amp, in fact it's less stressing for the amp.

Now, the other way around, car speakers at home...
With very, very few exceptions, home amps/receivers are only able to drive 8 Ohm loads, so if you hook up car speakers, you'll find out that it's going to heat up very quickly. If it's an expensive amp it probably has an overload protection circuit (It shuts down before it burns out), but if it's a "cheap" one the you'll be making a trip to the repair shop...

The solution? I think a resistor in series with the speaker. Probably a 4 Ohm 10-15W Resistor, however that's what i'm searching for right now, because i'm going to make a car-speaker based home theater.

If anyone wants to get in touch with me -> lensam69@yahoo.com

*****can someone explain exactly how you link up 2 floorstanding speakers and a 12" 4ohm car sub to a stereo intergrated amp with 2 speaker outputs. which is the best way to hook it all up? in parellel or series? at the mo I just have the sub on the left channel and speakers on the right just plugged straight into the amp.

Anonymous
Can someone please tell me what to do if i want to connect my 12" sub to my home theatre.I already have my sub connected to my amp,but the it sounds poor,it doesnt have that deep kick base.Should i buy a car amp and a transformer to convert 240v to 12v for car amp.

How will you then connect the car amp to the transformer.Please help me.

Can someone please tell me what to do if i want to connect my 12" sub to my home theatre.I already have my sub connected to my amp,but the sound is poor,it doesnt have that deep kick base.Should i buy a car amp and a transformer to convert 240v to 12v for car amp.

How will you then connect the car amp to the transformer.Please help me.

Bart Taylor
Here's my problem. I have two 12" car subs connected to my home stereo and they sound good, but my receiver doesn't have enough watts to make them hit as good as I would like. I also have a 200watt car amplifier that I want to hook up to the speakers in my house. I have a 12v outlet hooked to the amp and the amp hooked up so it could work, but I have no idea what to do with the REMOTE connection for the amp. Please If anyone knows what to do then I would appreciate it.

rick schultz
Auto speakers work in home theaters, BUT, the amp to use is an old amp that you normally plug the tuner and other components into via RCA cords so basically a plain old stereo amplifier only this way you controll volume, bass, treble,filters if equiped all for the auto speakers only, I am using an old Kenwood stereo intergrated amplifier Model KA-7300 and thumps hard and loud without threat to home theater system also have an old AKAI model AM-2200 stereo amplifier for sons theater system. By the way my speakers are 12" subs and 4" mids in auto box ported and behind couch, nice massage from good action movies.

Look up the brand and model of amps i have on internet to get a picture somewhere for an idea of what to look for at maybe garage sales or thrift stores, much cheaper there.

Jerry
Bart, the reason your car subs aren't as loud as you would like is probably because they aren't very sensitive. Most car subs aren't. I run a pair of 10s for my home theater and they work great. But they are more sensitive than most car subs. To hook up the remote on your car amp just run a jumper from the + terminal of the amp over to the remote terminal and it will turn on.

Ok, here is the project i just finished, and i thought you guys might be interested.

(2) 15" JBL Power Series subs in a 5cf ported box
(1) X-Over/EQ/Preamp - AudioControl 3.1
(1) NAD Powervalve Amp. 2x100w RMS, Bridgable and supports 4 or eight ohms (selector switch

so far i used a 11v 1000mw DC power supply i had leftover from an old yamaha keyboard. i just cut off the plug and wired it up to the audiocontrol EQ 3.1 set the x-over point to 70hz plugged the lowpass into the input for the NAD amp and set the gain level to a modest setting. hooked the sub box to the NAD amp and played a CD in my NAD cd player which the outputs were connected to the imputs of the audio control EQ/xover. all i can say is way too much bass.

im going to use this setup built into my wall but instead of using the audio control for xover im going to use the sub output from my new NAD 5.1 home theatre amp/tuner. that way i can control the volume remotely.

i think you can save quite a bit of money if you use good components and build a box that will provide good output. home subs are cheap and for the most part have very whimpy componets. but you dont need as much power since you have less environmental noise (no car engine, or wind noise)
plus you have the gain from the placement of the sub in the room. still i think you can build a great sub if you know a little.

This is a reply to Bart Taylor

im also doing the same as u, using a car amp in the home. and i also wondered about the REMOTE.
so what i did was i added another wire from the 12V to the remote and got POWER. so what you do is connect the + to the 12V and the 12V to the REMOTE and the - to the ground.

and thats what i did

NADEEM CHAMAA
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us