Considering Infinity and Ascend

Bronze Member
Username: Occam

Post Number: 27
I have been comparing the Infinity Beta 20 bookshelf speakers to the Ascend 170's. I can listen to the Infinity speakers at Best Buy but I can't audition the Ascends so easily. Although this is most likely purely a highly subjective issue of opinion does anyone have any input?

J.Tull
Unregistered guest
I hate to rain on your parade, but neither of those speakers measures up to what many of the self-appointed audiophile experts here have set up as the gold-standard. Hopefully, someone will post soon about how bright these speakers are, or maybe muddy mid-bass, or possibly a lack of musicality. Frankly, it's your purchase, your money, your opinion - and most importantly, your ears that will make this decision!

Don't let anyone deter you with their soap-box, high horse ramblings about "affordable" speakers. Oh, and I really hope that someone who hasn't even listened to these speakers posts soon to enlighten you regarding all of the negative aspects of these models. I mean, if anyone can just go to their local Best Buy and pick them up, how could they possibly sound good?

Bronze Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 15
Ohh now Jethro, there are some of us who use affordable loudspeakers here. I bought my mains for $120 three years ago. They're still going strong.

Neil, what other loudspeakers have you auditioned? How did the Infinity's compare overall? Have you checked the Ascend board to see if someone is in your area that is willing to let you audition their speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 976
I hate to rain on your parade, but neither of those speakers measures up to what many of the self-appointed audiophile experts here have set up as the gold-standard.

Actually, a lot of self-appointed audiophile experts here like the Ascend quite a bit. There are many long threads about them. You could also try the Alegria Audio Lings, crafted by one of our very own self-appointed audiophile experts!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1333
Neil,

Unless you find the Beta 20s being sold at a clearance (not just "sale") price, I would be very surprised if they could match an Internet-direct speaker's quality-to-dollar ratio by the simple fact that the reseller has to make a profit too.

BTW don't you mean Circuit City? I looked at the BB site and these were not listed. CC has them for $380/pair. The Ascend 170s are $340 shipped and no sales tax, return shipping runs $15-20 UPS...what I'd do in your shoes is buy both and return the one you dislike. $15-20 is a small price to pay for certainty, and also if you end up preferring the Ascends you'll be ahead at least $60 plus have a better speaker. (Very small "if" IMHO of course, heh.)

The only two downsides to the Ascend 170s is their less-than-stunning form factor and the fact that they were designed to be used with a subwoofer, whereas a speaker like the AA Lings should be able to stand on its own without a sub.

Bronze Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 24
Its funny though, if you look at the 170's quasi-anechoic response graph, it has very acceptable bass response with the -6dB point somewhere in the mid 30's. Of course, the 3rd party measurements don't quite duplicate these results. The response is nonetheless flatter than the 340's; although the 170's spectral decay graph isn't quite as good as the 340's.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 348
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue20/alegrialing.htm

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/146884.html

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 273
Hey, I did Tim's head to head and I believe you'd be much happier with the Ascends or Lings over the Infinitys. YES, I did hear them and a couple of their higher priced brothers and I didn't think they sounded as good as either of the above. BUT, it's your ears that count, as they say.

Bronze Member
Username: Occam

Post Number: 28
The Infinity speakers are at CC.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us