Subwoofer cable help

Bronze Member
Username: Jayosa

Post Number: 38
i bought monster subwoofer cable for $30 canadian...although i like the way they give bass and sound.....i wanna find another cable that works just as good for less money cuz i can still return the monster cable to the store still....i know ive seen the acoustic research but they cost almost as much as monster....i live in canada so if any of u know were to get good 1s for less tell me.....or i was wondering can i just use my old rca red and wite cord and would it sound just as good ....i rather by a subwoofer cable better though

Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 8
Keep the Monster Jay. You're satisfied with it. You won't find another cable for THAT much less, and the cost in time that it will take you to get another, cheaper cable will probably counterbalance the difference anyways.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 715
Good to see you spreading around. I am starting to think I may have misjudged you.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1330
jay,

how's this for an experiment: get a normal ordinary coaxial cable, you know thekind with the needle-like ends. Buy a pair of coaxial-to-RCA F-adapters (about $2 each at Radioshack) and attach them to each end, and use that as your sub cable. Do a blind A/B test (ask a friend or family member to help) with that versus the Monster cable and see if you can hear any difference.

The coax + adapters setup should cost about 1/2 or 1/3 of the Monster cable.

Bronze Member
Username: Jayosa

Post Number: 39
well have u tried that does it work good ....can i buy that in radioshack all those things

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 974
Ed, are we supposed to use 75 Ohms cable for audio?

I've heard of this being used but never heard the rationale for it. I'm curious... I'd do it just for esthetics if it works.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 984
Jan, if you are reading this thread, I'm sure you know the answer to my question above. Please shoot away.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1332
Jay & Peter,

I read about this on another forum a while back and decided to try it...works wonderfully. The person who suggested it said that for a subwoofer's low-frequency signal the coax would actually be preferable to a single RCA cable. I have no idea about the technical whys and hows, just know that it works fine for me---no need to pay double or more for something like a Monster sub cable.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us