Hmm.. decision time on value speakers

Username: Makoman

Post Number: 2
I'm going to buy new front speakers for the family room as my kids like to take off the grills and rip the woofers out. I am looking at true bang for your buck and I don't want to spend alot of cash as I could have a repeat performance.

I have a Denon 1803 with KLH 403 rear surrounds and a DCM-CX center channel. The room is 14x16 with a stairway on half the wall where the front speakers will be. I don't need the rock your house base and the four below should work based on reviews and the one that I heard, but I will consider a sub if needed.

Here are the four I found:

Floorstanding:

Polk R50 -- outpost.com $200 for both to my door for two speakers. Heard and liked them at circuit city without a sub!

Fluance -- AV-F3 $160 for both plus shipping. No clue other than web info!

Bookshelf with stands:

Athena AS-B2.2 -- $150 for both from amazon. Best Buy doesn't have them right now, so my ears haven't heard them.

Cambridge Soundworks Model Six $105 for both plus shipping. Good reviews, but haven't heard them.

Thanks for any input!

Stealth_C
Unregistered guest
I do own a pair of the Model Sixes, and they are indeed very good for the money. You would definately have to spend a whole lot more than $105 to find something that will significantly outperform them. They are also pretty easy to tweak for further improvements in performance (if you're into that kind of thing). If you have any questions about them, feel free to ask.

CSW also does have a fairly liberal return policy if you are not satisfied with them.

Post Number: 3
I'd be interested in learning how to tweak them for further improvements -- do you have a webpage or an old forum link (tried the search function, but it's not that good).

Thanks!

Stealth_C
Unregistered guest
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/720006/an/0/ page/0#720006

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the info! You have convinced me to get them, esp with the return policy.

As to tweaking, seems pretty straight forward. I will try it after a little break-in.

Might go with one of the 12 uF caps listed as opposed to two in parallel. I like easy work!

http://www.madisound.com/chateauroux.html

If it works out, I will probably go with them as centers (and maybe rears?) as well!

Thanks again!

Stealth_C
Unregistered guest
Let us know how they turn out. Be advised that they do need to break in a little before you start really evaluating them (although you seem to be aware of this already). Anyways, enjoy.

Post Number: 6
Ahh... In dealing with the SDAT chatting last night (not buying them), I found some reconditioned Yamaha NS-555 for $149 a pair (yes, two of them, I checked!) They just seem like last year's model on clearance, but rated very high everywhere, although not alot of reviews. I haven't ordered the CSW model six yet, so what do you all think?

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1253
There is a gentleman on this forum who just bought Fluance speakers and is very pleased with them. Perhaps you should start a thread relative to the Fluance speakers and see if he comes out to comment.

Bronze Member
Username: Dodgedifferent2

Sarnia, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 52
i came out to play ....

ya i was the one that bought the Fluance speakers, but i bought the SX-HTB speaker package.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1336
Spud,

you might want to ask around on the avsforum.com and hometheaterforum.com

I can't remember which one it was from, but a few months ago I was posting back and forth with a guy who went Fluance but ended up recommending their SV-6 bookshelf above all their other models which he characterized as "very bright."

Obviously this was just one person's opinion but just so you know...

Bronze Member
Username: Soundideas

Post Number: 12
That's why I like my SDAT speakers, they do not have that very bright top end like others that I have heard. And they do not have that boxy sound!

Post Number: 7
Thanks for the advice!
Charles -- was it worth the investment for the SX-HTB package? I'm leaning toward the SV-6 if I do go with Fluance.

Edster -- I'll do some digging soon on those forums. Thanks for the info!

Thanks again! Tom

Bronze Member

Sarnia, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 53
i heard about alot of people going for the SV-6, but i wanted to have the floorstanders instead of bookshelves.
You will love the wood finish that they use.
I have not heard alot of speakers to compare to, but they are a big improvement to what I had. I am still trying to get the speakers set up the way i like it.

I think it has been worth the purchase so far.

Bronze Member

Sarnia, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 55
Just an update on those Fluance speakers.
I just recently hooked them up through the high level on my subwoofer and the difference is even better. I now notice the mids being used on the towers and also the tweeters. I watched X-men last night and I was blown away. I live in an apartment building and a few of my neighbours were pounding on my door to turn it down. :-):-):-)

Post Number: 9
I just ordered the SV-6 and SV-SC this afternoon. My center channel died Monday, so I found ~$400 total to make all the purchases(Dayton 12", 150 W sub for $140 + shipping).

Thanks to my wife needs to be given now!

Didn't want to double up with the model sixes. Sounds like I will be doing ok with my order! Thanks for all the advice.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1368
Personally I find that my wife really appreciates being thanked via the cunning linguist way. A sore jaw for a great audio system is a fair price to pay! : )

Anyways be sure and report back to us after you've set everything up, and enjoy!

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 418
Now there's an answer!!!!!!

My wife it was a third baby! I think next time I will try Ed's method.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us