NAD & Monitor Audio Combo Rocks

Username: Scouser

LiverpoolUK

Post Number: 1
Just set up my new system, thanks to the advice of all the threads on this website.
System: NAD 521 BEE, NAD 352, Monitor Audio Bronze 2, QED Qunex 2, Chord Carnival Silver Biwire.
Utterly, utterly stunned by the quality of this system.
Wrong speaker cable connection at first, (Didnt realise the orange stripes correspond to the + on the chord cable, assumed that the 2 closest to each other were the same polarity)
Realised my mistake 20 mins later, but hey, the bass was immense on that setup! I wondered if i had caused any damage to my system?!
Eagerly breaking in, listening to soothing vocals, trip trop and jazz for the recommended 60 hrs before all hell breaks loose with my drum and bass collection.
There is so much focus, soundstage and clarity without being boomy. (Previously had a aiwa mini hifi system which is nothing but boomy bass and ear splittling treble and nothing else)
Back to my cd collection

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1214
Sounds great Scouser. I've sure enjoyed my NAD gear or as ya'll like to say kit. I really like the sound of Monitor Audio speakers. They have a very coherent high end that makes sense to my ears musically. Enjoy.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3431
Getting the speaker cable polarity wrong does no harm at all to the system, Scouser1. The effect is only on the listener, which is you lose some bass and imaging because of phase cancellation. You get a much better stereo image if the polarity is right. Looks like a nice set-up you have there!

Anonymous

I just got a JL audio 300/4 AMP and 2 10" JL AUDIO W7 Subwoofers and i have never hooked and thing up before and i was wondering if some one could give me a good detail of how to hook it up because i got the wire to the battery and then i dont know where the wire that starts at the battery ends in what hole in the amp and what is the ground hole for and the remote hole please help me and send me a step by step instructuions on how to connect everything

Username: Raffy

Wisconsin dells, Wisconsin Usa

Post Number: 1
Hey i was just wondering if there is anyway to hook up a system to a stock deck with no audio ports

Username: Raffy

Wisconsin dells, Wisconsin Usa

Post Number: 4
Can Anyone tell me how to hook a amp to a deck in a car as detailed as possible i am new to this stuff thanks

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1216
Go to the car audio forum Rafal.

Kiwi Pete
Unregistered guest
Scouser, your new system sounds very similar to mine. I have yesterday just unpacked new MA GR20's (in piano finish gloss black at the same price as veneer!)and NAD C162 pre-amp with 2x C272 power amps (to bi-amp the MA's). I pick up my Chord Carnival silver bi-wire tomorrow and am anticipating audio nirvana sometime tomorrow evening!! Can not wait!! Still using my trusty Meridian 508 CD because anything as good is just too expensive. I wanted power and finesse and I think I've achieved it within a reasonable budget. I listened to the MA's through my old Denon amp and H/K DVD player last might and even through that compromised system they were simply beautiful. Apart from pure silver Kimber cable from the CD, I too have invested in the QED Qunex 2 for all other links and PCV-1 Component cable for video connections. Nice tidy cords at a reasonable price (well, thats what I tell my wife). Hope you enjoy yours as much as I expect to with mine!

Username: Scouser

LiverpoolUK

Post Number: 2
Hey Kiwi Pete, looks like you're banging on the doors of sweet high end audiophile ecstasy with that MONSTER of a kit that you've just laid yer hands on!!
Please let us know how it sounds, (It will surely be a WARM, INVOLVING, DYNAMIC nirvana sound with XXX clarity & focus that will keep you rooted to the sofa for days...)
Don't forget the orange bits correspond to the + on the quality Chord CS BW!
Maybe get sound proof and churn that dial! ENJOY!

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 413
Kiwi, I have a simular kit to yours and expect audio nirvana! I was going to spend a lot more before buying this and wonder why most people think they have to!?

Kiwi Pete
Unregistered guest
I finally got the whole thing set up on the weekend. MA GR20s and the NAD pre and power amps. Listening to...anything(!) showed some serious control of the top end. Heard guitar detail in some old Split Enz cd's that I didn't know existed. Just beautiful. The low end is striking and detailed, the bass kick of a drum beat sounds like the drummers foot is next to your ear! But after a while the bass seemed a bit too strident in many recordings, a bit overwhelming. I understand the C272 amps are quite forthright in the bass department and I think I will need to do some placement fiddling or maybe even resort to the foam port bungs that come with the speakers to control that (and here was I worried that I wouldn't get enough bass from the GR20s!!) My living room couldn't be worse acoustically either so that doesn't help. I Had the dial on the preamp at ten o'clock and could only read my wife's lips as she yelled at me to turn it down!! Too scared to wind it up further at present (for fear of the speakers - not the wife) but theres some serious power there. Does anyone know if you have to be careful with the loud pedal when the speakers are new? Probably safe to, just in case.
The only thing that bugs me about the NAD is that the preamp volume control doesn't have a light on it to indicate where the volume is at, just a grey raised marker which is impossible to distinguish in the gloom in which my gear sits. A minor quibble. Overall, I love it and I'm happy.

Username: Bmo

Tehachapi, Calif USA

Post Number: 3
I just purchased the MA RS 8's and RS LCR to replace those cute Bose cubes. What a difference !!! Comparred them while shopping to some Klisph and Energy's.Had wife there to help choose.Took along the CD Shpongled.Heard little things not even noticeable on the Klisph and Energy's.Was a unanamous choice for Monitor Audio.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us