Powering monitors (with a twist)

Username: Jneufnash

Post Number: 1
First post--I hope it is not too long-winded. I would like some comments on a plan that I am formulating. I am just embarking on building a new system, and have to cut corners initially for budgetary reasons. I would like to build a system with the fewest number of parts that I end up throwing away as possible.

First, I will be putting it into a fairly small room (14x13). Second, the majority of my listening will be to music with a lot of detail (classical, chamber music, jazz), BUT, it will serve double duty with HT applications until I get some more money.

I am thinking now that I will build the system around a pair of decent (used) monitors that will, in my dream scenario, become rears in a surround system. I have narrowed it down to Amphion Argon II, Quad 12L, and Revel M20. I am leaning heavily toward the Argon II's based on reviews--I have not been able to audition them yet.

Next (here I cut corners and really need advice), I thought that I would get a stop-gap, sub-$500 surround receiver like a refurb HK AVRx35. I could then, as my budget permitted, hook up additional power amps (used NAD or Rotel?--advice here would be nice, too) in front for music-purposes.

Is there an obvious way to power the good front monitors in an upgradeable way that I am missing? I am worried that I will be disappointed with the performance of the HK and just waste the $300-400 that I will spend on it. Should I go with a low-power HK and immediately put the saved money toward a quality power amp? If I could get the whole shebang in under $1500 (I intend to buy everything used--I realize this pretty much rules out the Revels), I would be elated.

Does any of this make sense? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

jn
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us