Dynavector

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 614
Frank this is really mostly for you. Hows your experince with that cartridge???
and anyone else who has had one of these?

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 615
*experience

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 669
Joe

Which Dynavector?

In the shop we use 10x5s on three of our decks. The 10x5 is a great little cartridge, lots of fun, healthy output, beautiful presentation with good timing.

I lived with a 17D2 for about 5 years. That was sublime. Very low oputput and rides really low too, so you need to keep it clean. Midrange and treble to die for. Mine wasn't that hot at timing and lean in the bass. The latest version is much better in both those departments and a real killer in terms of value for money (although you're in another part of the world I believe?).

I lived with a Te Kaitora for 4 years. All the attributes of the 17D2 with extra resolution, better balance, but possibly worse timing than the latest 17D2.

My latest is the Te Kaitora Rua which annihilates the old Te Kaitora in every way. Gorgeous.

I have a little experience with the 20XL, XX-1L and XX2. The 20XL is quite a good cartridge, but generally its price is close enough to the 17D2 to make it a no brainer to go for the 17D2. I'm simply not that taken with the 20XL (or XH).

The XX-1L was a very heavy cartridge which painted pictures in broad brush strokes. Not for it delicacy and finery. It was all about power and drama. Fab fun of course.

The XX2 is a much more refined version of the XX-1L but in some ways a little of that soul has deserted the XX2. Strange that the XX2 is relatively soulless when the Te Kaitora Rua, which is the subsequent design, is so much fun and enjoyment.

I have very little experience of the XV-1. The couple of times I heard it I thought it had fabulous attributes in terms of speed and resolution. Very good cartridge indeed. I have no experience of the XV-1S, but my friends who have heard it extensively say that it far outshines the Te Kaitora Rua and the XV-1.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 645
Do you think I would notice a big difference going from an ortofon om 20 super mm cartridge to the 10x5s, worth the 450 or so for the cartridge with mounting and alignment?

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 672
bump Frank^

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 677
Joe

Sorry, been away.

Big difference over the OM20. Massive. The 10x5 competes against Ortofon's MC25FL (low output moving coil, fantastic speed but a little coarse).

$450 seems a little high to me. Here in the UK, the 10x5 retails for £250 ($400-odd) and we don't charge for mounting and alignment.

As to performance, and value for money, it does depend hugely on what record deck and arm you're using. If it's not much kop, then there's no point in having sucha good cartridge since it won't be able to track the record properly if the deck & arm bearings aren't particularly good. So what are you using?

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 739
Project 1.2, same as mmf2.1

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 688
Joe

I would go with the 10x5 on this deck for now. I've used the 10x5 in higher end decks than this and the 10x5 has shown the improvement every time. You won't be underspeccing the deck with a 10x5.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 638
The Project 1.2 is an entry-level turntable with a so-so arm. The 10x5 is a great bargain cart. The problem isn't that the cart is underspecced for the tt, but the opposite. I don't think you'll get your money's worth from the 10x5 using the Project 1.2 tt imho. I'd get a better tt before getting the 10x5.

BTW the dealer shouldn't charge you extra for mounting a cart if you pay list price for it.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 747
I don't know if either of you own led zep 4 on lp, but I was listening to "when the levee breaks" and during the harmonica solo, it sounds shrill like the recording was bad. Trouble is I cannot figure out whether it's my needle or whether it's just the record. The record is a brand new pressing in 200 gram so I highly doubt that. But then again the needle was not cheap either. Any clue guys?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4643

Have you cleaned the stylus?

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 750
How do I do that Jan?

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 751
Bought some LAST stylus cleaner and brush

Silver Member

Post Number: 639
Joseph-

If you're refering to the Classic reissue of LZ IV, the harmonica on When the Levee Break sounds natural on my copy (although the mix really brings it forward). Does it sound "shrill" during the entire solo or only in parts? Which cart are you using? Cheaper carts tend to distort high treble sounds, e.g., cymbals sound splashy. But there aren't really high notes in the solo, so I'm not sure what you mean by shrill.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 693
There's a 200gm pressing of LZ IV? Who makes that??

The harmonica is not shrill on my latest reissue CD (which is fab).

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Post Number: 640
Frank,

Classic Records has reissued most of the LZ catalog on 200g vinyl, remastered by Bernie Grundman under the supervision of Jimmy Page. If you think the CD reissue of LZIV sounds fab, you should hear the vinyl reissue.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=11482

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 754
There is a high point in the solo about halfway though the song. I will have to time it, but basically, I use the word shrill because it sounds like the level of the sound being recorded exceeded the recording level for a brief moment. Kind of like what you would get with a very cheap tweeter, but considering the Totem Rainmakers are giving me that sound I could rule them out. Hope this makes a little more sense.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 755
I did change the azimuth of the tonearm and it helped a little, I think I was a little high from the back end of the arm.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 699
Cheers TC, much obliged. I'd forgotten Classic did them.

Only problem is getting them past the wife...

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4675

I'm coming in late on this conversation and not that interested in reading all the posts. I just thought I might make a clarification so terminolgy is consistent. Raising and lowering the height of the tonearm's pivot bearing in relation to the semi-fixed height of the headshell is not adjusting azimuth. That action is adjusting the VTA (vertical tracking angle) of the cartridge. Adjusting azimuth refers to adjusting the manner in which the stylus sits in the groove from left side to right side, not front to back. VTA is adjusted by looking at the tonearm across its length and can deviate from parallel to the record surface. Azimuth is adjusted by looking at the tonearm from the front to determine that it does not deviate from being parallel to the record surface. VTA can be adjusted from record to record to accommodate the various thickness of the record on the platter (and sometimes the non-standard cutting angle of the master lathe) and will have an audible effect on the quality of sound. Azimuth is consistent once it has been set for any cartridge/tonearm combination and will predominantly affect channel balance and distortion. VTA is set at a universal standard of 20° and may vary from new to old discs and from record manufacturer to record manufacturer. Azimuth is fixed as always being (90°) perpendicular to the record surface.

Hope I didn't step on a conversation. I just wanted to clear up what appeared to be a miscommunication in terms.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming ...

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4676

Did cleaning the stylus make a noticeable difference in the sound quality?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us