Need a CDP for NAD C370 & Quad 11L

Starbucks
Unregistered guest
Hello, can someone please help to recommend a suitable CDP for my components as follows:

NAD C370 amp
Quad 11L

I am thinking of Cambridge audio Azur 540C or Marantz CD5400. Which one is more suitable for my set ? Or any other suggestions ?

Thank You

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 343
NAD C542

Bronze Member
Username: Quadstar

Post Number: 17
NAD C542

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 362
NAD C542 again!

Starbucks
Unregistered guest
Hehe :-) thank you so much.

By the way, any reason for the recommendation made? in term of performance? or a better combination for the NAD C370 ?

nout
Unregistered guest
You can have a look at Marantz CD 7300 too:
http://202.186.86.35/audio/story.asp?file=/2005/6/30/audiofile/30marantz
and
http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2003/marantz_cd7300.shtml

Stay away from Marantz cd 5400, not very reliable:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/102879.html

Both NAD C542 and Marantz CD 7300 are excellent cd players.
I do not favour any of them particularly...listen for yourself I'd suggest.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1086
NAD C542!!!!

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 369
NAD C542!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nout
Unregistered guest
Those NAD fanboys :-)

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 370
To answer your question Starbucks.....the 542 will suit your amp very well and it was designed to work together. I never heard the Marantz but it is supposed to be good so maybe if you are interested, try it.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1092
NAD cd players really work well with their amps. Like Rotel gear really shines together.

Starbucks
Unregistered guest
Hi All, really appreciate for the effort in answering those questions. I will consider those suggestions seriously. TQ :-)

Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 3
Eastern Electric Minimax Tube CD Player. Does HDCD.

http://www.morningstaraudio.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=3

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1103
So does the NAD C542.

Post Number: 4
I know it does, I had one.

I was just pointing out that the Minimax also does HDCD.

The C542 is a great little player and it performed very well for me. But it can't compete with the Minimax.

The Minimax is a wonderful player and steps head and shoulders above the C542. But it's also just about double the price. From what I understand, the Minimax will also be available in the black (as well as the standard Silver) finish....shortly.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 373
Never heard of them.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1109
It's probably a good player but at twice the C542's price it ought to be. Lots of good players in the 1k range.

Starbucks
Unregistered guest
Though I would say NAD C542 is not a cheap CDP in the market as compare to cambridge audio Azur 540C. In this case, would expect to see(listen) a difference between the 2? Can I ?

Starbucks
Unregistered guest
Since we are on the way talking about C542. Any suggestion for cables that fit well for NAD amp, such as C370 or C372?

Post Number: 6
You'll hear a huge difference between the Minimax CD Player( $899.00 US) and the C542.

But I have never heard the Cambridge Audio Azur 540C, so I can't comment on that.

Post Number: 8
I used Cobalt Cables with my NAD C542 for the duration of my wonership, with that player. They performed wondefully.

But there are thousands of cable companies. I would choose the cables that best fit your budget. Just my opinion.

Starbucks
Unregistered guest
Thanks NMyTree

By the way, do u all come across or experience to change ur CDP connector socket or change some of the parts in the CDP (modified by professional) to enhance the quality of the CDP ?Heard that it will enhance the quality significantly :-)

nout
Unregistered guest
I don't see the fun in it, tweaking stuff. Before you know you're listening 90% of the time to improvements rather than music...don't let upgradatis catch you! :-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1136
I agree NMy. I wouldn't get Monster or Radio Shack cheapies but you don't have to spend a fortune to get good results. I get mine custom made at a local hifi store for $45 per 1 mtr pair.

Post Number: 9
I've never been into modifying my gear.

One, I'm not knowledgeble in these matters and I'm a spazz with a soldering iron...LOL :D

Two, I agree with "nout". I don't want to get into that whole modifying....and never-ending upgrade thing.

I'm putting together three systems in my house.

The Living Room, which will be for Audio and Home Theater; and also be the largest of my systems.

My home office, which will be strictly two channel and be a bit more modest than the Living Room system.

My bedroom, which will be the smallest of my systems.

I've been listening and searching for gear, so I can match the components I need...to get the sound I love. So that's why I sell some of my old gear and upgrade to the new gear that adds the elements I need, to achieve the sound I want out of my systems.

It took me a couple of years, lots of driving, dozens of auditions, dozens of listening parties, lots of phone conversations and research; but I finally found the gear I need, to put together the systems that play the music....the way I love it.

Now, I'm almost there. Just a few more pieces to complete the systems. After that, no more upgrades for a long time.

Although, I reserve the right to try out some speakers ....every once in a while, in my home office. Only because I think it's fun to collect and try out different speakers. :-)

Starbucks
Unregistered guest
I am seeing modification in another aspect, just like how we change the cable to enhance the sound performance. I dun mind to have modify one or 2 parts in the CDP that will upgrade the CDP to another level( equivalent to those more expensive models) and also save $! :-)

Post Number: 10
Oh I understand your point, Starbucks. But I'm just saying it's not for me, personally. I really don't understand and know anything about the internal components that make up the gear I use.

So I have no idea the how each part would improve or change the sound of a piece of gear. Besides, just because something can change the sound, doesn't necessarily mean the change is an improvement, or the change is an improvement towards the sound I want. The change could possibily take the sound in a completely different direction, than what I want.

Also, from what I understand it's very difficult to find someone who will do Mods on NAD gear. At least this is what I have heard.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us