Problem with Marantz cd5400

Username: Eugene

Post Number: 1
I have problem with my new Marantz CD5400. Sometimes playback is stops during CD playback for a short time without any reason. The CD is absolutely new and not scratched.
Whats going on? Any idea?

Thanks in advance,
Eugene

nout
Unregistered guest
I had this problem with my Marantz cd 5000, but only with one cd.
Took the player back and got a new one.
Never had any problems again.
I think you have a (how'd you call that?) a lemmon?
The cd 5400 (so was the cd 5000) is known for its outstanding error-correction and disk reading.
I'd go back to the shop and demand a new one.

When I got back I took some evidence with me: the cd my player refused to play properly. They played the cd on a display marantz cd 5000 without any problems, then they played it on my cd 5000: Bingo!
I got a new one right away.
Good luck!

Post Number: 2
Thank you for answer!

But in my case the problem is not always repeated. If I start playback again this usually does not occur (at least in the same location). I am sure that it will not happen in the shop. Does your problem occur sometimes, or all the time for specific CD? Does your problem occur in the same location on the CD?

Eugene

nout
Unregistered guest
That's strange, in my case it only happened with just one CD and in the same location on the disc all the time. As already said I took the cd player back and got a new one right away. Never had any problems again.

But if I were you I'd demand a new player anyway, proof or no proof.
You have a warranty for a year or so and if they don't replace your cd player for a new one then at least your player will be sent for repairs.
And if that doesn't help I guess you have to buy a new one or live with it...
Good luck.

Unregistered guest
Hello i'm a french user and i have the same pb with my cd 54000 ... perhaps this problem exists on a range of this product what is your serial number (my is MZ000349005847 )

Thanks
Dave

Unregistered guest
Hello i'm a french user and i have the same pb with my cd 54000 ... perhaps this problem exists on a range of this product ? what is your serial number ? (my is MZ000349005847 )

Thanks
Dave

Post Number: 3
Nout,
Lot of thanks for answer!

Hello Dave!

Ok! It may be good idea. I will check my serial number and I will report next
week. Incidentally, I have read in other message board that it is an "incurable" problem of the all CD players that have Philips CDM/VAM 12 gear! The gear is "overly clever". And this problem happens as a result of static electricity. What do you think about that?

Eugene

nout
Unregistered guest
Looked on the internet: VAM 1201 transport
Both cd 5000 (mine) and cd 5400 use this transport.
??????
I still don't have any problems with it. (and with me many cd 5000 owners)
This transport is infamous for its reliability.
Looked for the cd 5400 on forums here in the Netherlands, not one complaint about drop outs in music or any other horror. In general there is praise for its reliability and ability to read any disc without any problem.
I also think it's a problem with a certain range as mentioned by DaveFrance.
Damn that really sucks! Good luck again.

Post Number: 4
Hello!

Here is my serial number:

MZ000349005819

Eugene

Post Number: 5
Hello,

Dave, nout!

Where are you?

Eugene

Anonymous

Please check the power cable whether it is plugged securedly to the wall outlet. I had the same problem. It was solved once I changed my powerstrip.

Speedsmile
Unregistered guest
I have exactly the same problems. Sometimes I can play up to 6 disc's or so without any problem, but another time I've got it right away with the first disc.
Serial: MZ010415007787
Any other comments about the problem?

nout
Unregistered guest
It seems like a random problem, not anything to do with any range.
Your serial number is completely different than Eugene's and DaveFrance's (which numbers actually do correspond)
?????
I can't help either. What can you do if it would be failure in a particular range? Protest? Form a union?
I'd suggest to bring the player back to the store and demand a new one or at least get it repaired if possible. If not: buy a new one...??

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 190
I am considering purchaseing this cd player or a NAD 521. Can anyone tell me if they have experience with the NAD compared to this player?

Silver Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 191
whoops...I meant the NAD C541

Michael J
Unregistered guest
I have exactly the same problems with my new marantz cd 5400. But in my case it occurs with all the CD's. Serial: MZ020432017985

meigel
Unregistered guest
Hello Eugene Y, DaveFrance, Speedsmile and Michael J.
I have this problem with my marantz cd 5400. It occurs in random way with all my cd.
I've sent it for repairs but the problem remains.
The serial no. is MZ000349011154
Sorry for my english.. ciao from Italy

meigel@libero.it

Silver Member
Username: Varney

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 290
I think it is more likely to be the disc. I mean,you did state this is happening with one disc only. Try cleaning it before going to the long drawn out trouble of troubleshooting/ replacing the player.

V

dennislovescds
Unregistered guest
I too have this problem, but it's seldom, always totally random, never the same CD or the same location. Happens once in every 20 cds or so - one second's silence for no reason at all.

I also can't rewind tracks into the 'dead space' at the beginning of CDs where bands sometimes hide secret tracks - very irritating.

Ian Berry
Unregistered guest
Frankly it's a relief to learn that I am not alone in experiencing this problem with a CD5400. In my case the fault is as follows: Whilst playing, at seemingly random times the output abruptly vanishes, what sounds like the head positioning mechanism can be heard, and then after about 1 second the audio output abruptly returns, and continues playing where it had left off i.e. it does NOT miss out the 1 second or so of music. This loss of output is definitely NOT repeatable by playing the same part of the CD again, and it happens with all types of media (commercial pressings, CD-Rs) that behave correctly on other players. If playing through a whole CD, loss of output will occur about 5 times.

I have (eventually) persuaded the on-line supplier to order a replacement for me, but am still waiting for that. I will be scrutinising the output very thoroughly when it does arrive!

nout
Unregistered guest
It's a shame, because its sound is pretty good.
I don't think it's the transport that's responsible, it's the same transport my Marantz cd 5000 uses: VAM 1201 and I still don't have any problems with it.

nout
Unregistered guest
It's a shame, because its sound is pretty good.
I don't think the cd transport is responsible, it's the same my Marantz cd 5000 uses: VAM 1201 and I still don't have any problems with it.

nout
Unregistered guest
????

Nicklearse
Unregistered guest
Have exactly same problem with my CD5400 here in Australia. Totally random drop out of sound. Also had a transformer pack up and took over 3 months for marantz to get it fixed.

vaskemaskin
Unregistered guest
I am not an expert, but I saw this on a web-page.

May be this is the reason for the problem.

http://www.mamut.com/dynabel/subdet198.htm

Look after Electrocompaniet CD-stablizer

Ian Berry
Unregistered guest
I have now had a replacement CD5400 for some time (see my posting of 17th Feb '05), and this one has behaved perfectly to date. Let's hope Marantz are on top of this problem, to limit any further damage to their good reputation.

Unregistered guest
Hi
I am thinking of buying a Marantz CD5400 but a local dealer put me off with tales of woe regarding reliability and after sales service
Looking at the comments above I am inclined to agree
Any advice would be appreciated

Unregistered guest
Hi.
My CD5400 come back (...for the second time...) from repair service at the end of february 2005;
since then I've used it for about one or two hours a day, and it has worked without problems.
So I think that Marantz has finally solved the problem.

Ciao from Italy
meigel@libero.it

Unregistered guest
dunno if anyone is still readin this forum but i was cosiderin buyin a cd5400. i went to richer sounds and they advised against me buying it as they had had a huge amount of returns. instead i have now purchased a cambridge audio azur 640c which is amazing and only £150 fom ebay with 3 months remaining on the warranty. bargain i thought. anyone thinking of buyin the marantz should seriously consider tryin wot i did.

Username: Farl

DubaiUnited arab ...

Post Number: 5
I'm in Dubai,UAE. I also have exactly the same problem of my new cd5400. I returned it and change a new one, so far so good.

DubaiUnited arab ...

Post Number: 6
After using this player for few days, again the same problem exist. Any suggestion of to solved this problem?
I have a service manual for this CDP. I found out that that the crystal osc. value in the service manual is 16.933 Mhz and in the player is 8.433 Mhz. I think this is the cause of the problem. Is it possible to change the value of the CDP crystal to 16.933? Any suggestion please!!!!

nout
Unregistered guest
Is it possible to change the value of the CDP crystal to 16.933? Any suggestion please!!!!

With a voodoo spell? With an ancient tribal dance around the cd player? Or maybe you have to try to see the Matrix behind it..."there is no cd player"

I'm sorry, I cannot help you and frankly I don't think the crystal is the problem, but what it is I don't know.

DubaiUnited arab ...

Post Number: 7
Looked on the internet: VAM 1201 transport
Both cd 5000 (mine) and cd 5400 use this transport:

Nout,
Marantz Cd5400 uses sony KSS-213CCM transport. I'm sure also that the transport is not the problem, because when I used the transport from my Gemsound CDJ which is the same transport as of this CD5400, The same problem exist but the trantport from the Cd5400 that I used in my CDJ didn't give me this problem. I will tell you when I increased the pitch for just on step higher during playing the cd, you can't encounter this problem. Increasing the pitch means increasing the frequency of the DSP.

nout
Unregistered guest
http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=AMARACD5400

Mechanism : VAM1201 + DSD

Your's is different then?

I will tell you when I increased the pitch for just on step higher during playing the cd, you can't encounter this problem. Increasing the pitch means increasing the frequency of the DSP.
Add Your Message Here

My sincere apologies

Anonymous

I am going to buy the CD 5400 cd player. because I like the appearance very much, but I insist the sound quality and its reliability.

Please comment

Anonymous

I am going to buy the CD 5400 cd player. because I like the appearance very much, but I insist the sound quality and its reliability.

Please comment, thanks.

nout
Unregistered guest
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/102879.html

DubaiUnited arab ...

Post Number: 8
For the sound quality you can't go wrong for the price. In fact when I upgraded the capacitors to black gate and sanyo oscon change the diode for ultrafast soft recovery and change the op-amp to Ad8066. The soung quality improves a lot. But again the problem still there.
Just set the pitch control to +1 then you will be happy with this CDP.

pete2005-malaysia
Unregistered guest
i wouldn't have bought the cd5400 if i've seen the remarks in this forum. i've got mine for 6 months and now it's giving me the same exact problems that you guys have. real bummer because marantz used to have excellent reputation when it comes to cd players. the good old days of cd63se ki signature are now gone since most of the players are made in china. horrendous quality. just hope that when i get my player back from the dealer, the problems will go away. else i'll just sell the damn thing and pay a small fortune to get a denon universal player that's made in japan.

Marantz Guy
Unregistered guest
Serial #s starting with MZXX0449 and higher should be okay (first two #s do not matter)....MZXX0448 and lower there is a chance you will see this issue.

peter2005-malaysia
Unregistered guest
darn...mine's MZ0104150......and it falls under the problematic group that you mentioned. does marantz gets them fixed quickly? any difficulties in warranty claims? does the problem recur after repair? should i sell off this player? some advice would be great. it's such a pity because the sound quality is really good.

nout
Unregistered guest
Send it back and claim a new one, you have at least 1 year warranty.

pete2005-malaysia
Unregistered guest
finally the dealer acknowledged that my cd5400 has a problem. that was after that i insisted they test it for another few more days. initially they didn't find any problems with it. hope they fix it soon. i tried writing an e-mail to marantz's ASIA website but there was no webform or contact information. just a dumb feather animation. even the US website doesn't work. the mail i sent via their web form got bounced back. curious! such a major disappointment for a major brand with past good reputation. completely takes the confidence out of the brand name.

paul/uk
Unregistered guest
I've owned two CD5400 machines and both have suffered from this fault. After the first one misbehaved in this manner I took it back to the shop and obtained a replacement. This too has the same playback problem. I won't be trying for third time lucky and am currently looking elsewhere for something that sounds as good but performs properly!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2023
Have any of you current/past cd5400 owners ever listened to the Marantz 4300? I'm just wondering how the two compare in terms of sound quality.

I recently bought the 4300 and have been real happy with it, but am just curious...

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1690
The CC4300 sounds far better. My friend who owns the local Marantz store won't carry the 5400 because he says he can't justify it.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2024
Art,

I thought I remembered you warning me to stay away from the 5400 a long time ago because of the mechanical issues, didn't remember you saying the 4300 actually sounds better.

...wow, sure am happy to hear that!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1691
The CC4300 is an exceptional piece of budget gear. It bucks the odds in several ways. First by beating anything else in it's price range, and second it's a changer which goes against the common wisdom of a single disc player being better. I'm glad I still have one for the second system.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1421
The CC4300 is an exceptional piece of budget gear.

Well, in Canada it's C$400, which is close to a NAD C521BEE. :-(

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1694
In the U.S. it retails for 249.00 or 299.00 and can be had online for under 150.00.

Peter, my goodness have you bought a player yet or are ya still doin' some research? :-)

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1423
Been busy with real life. Still pending.

The local store that sells Nad doesn't keep CD players in stock; only DVD players. So I can't easily listen to one. There are two places that have Cambridge Audio, so there's that.

My next-door neighbour has an old Rotel RCD-990 (I think) and has promised to let me try it out.

If I buy the used rotel RCD-02, it's in Quebec City anyway and I won't have it until my next trip there.

I've been listening to other opinions on a Quebec forum (in french, sorry) where there is almost an concensus that I won't get much of an upgrade below C$1500 or so. They like expensive gear!

peter2005-malaysia
Unregistered guest
after getting my CD5400 back from the dealer (for repair) for about a month, the darn thing becomes problematic again. this time it's even worse. it just refuses to play any cd. wanted to change to cd7300 (made in japan) but after reading the reviews that it too has problems, i'm giving up hope on marantz. so depressing.

Username: Nick_b

USA

I am thinking about getting the CD 5400 and it will be extensively modded. I would appreciate any comments about the appearance of the unit, the transport (is it noisy as I have read?), the remote control etc. I had a CD 63 a few years ago and was very phappy with it.

peter2005-malaysia
Unregistered guest
avoid cd5400 after what so many people went through. the fact that it's made in china makes it worse. quality is way below par. yes. the transport has a pretty loud whirry sound. can be annoying at times. if you're lucky enough to get a non-problematic one, the sound quality is superb. build quality is good. otherwise, go for other brands. i'm selling mine once i get it back from servicing.

Unregistered guest
We have the same problem with the Denon 615 CD players we use at a community radio station, the only answer we have had is play discs burnt at 8x or less, due to the error correction being high quality. We have tried to find alternative CD players at reasonable cost, but since DVD's are so popular, everyone has discontinued CD players. I agree with the comments that when Denon/Marantz was made in Japan it was much better quality.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 241
I disagree that Chinese made means bad quality. I've seen Chinese made goods that beat those from the western world hands down. There are budget, mid level and hi-end players. One gets what one pays for and sometimes, if one is very fortunate, they will get a decent run from budget gear. That said - even the high end stull can play up. The fact is that cd players are one of the most unreliable components in the audio world. Life's a lucky dip I guess.

peter2005-malaysia
Unregistered guest
In general Chinese-made stuff still has some catching up to do till they're on par with Taiwanese or Japanese-made gear. Take a look at Denon DVD 1920 player. It's so plague with problems that I've decided not to buy one. Budget doesn't equal poor quality. Budget should only mean using less expensive lower end components (less filtering ciruity, lower oversampling rate, lower S/N ratio, DN etc). An analogy for you to think about: Does buying an Intel 3.2GHz processor mean it's less likely to fail than a 2.8GHz processor? In reality they're both the same. They're tested NOT to fail at the rated specs. I'm still using a Made in Japan Denon receiver and Made In UK Mission loudspeakers. They're so hard to come by nowadays and built rock solid (in terms of quality) serving me many years of trouble free entertainment. I'm trying not to discriminate but the fact that I have to pay using my hard-earned cash and live with some of these inferior Chinese made products just made me feel so cheated.

Username: Shakti

Same problem as described above, I bought my Marantz CD5400 few months ago (before I use to play on a Marantz CD62), a month after I sent it to repair and it came back... at the begin sound to be ok but again the same default (half second blank while reading sometimes). Serial Number MZ000316000353.

Username: Shakti

Post Number: 2
I sent a 2nd time the CD player to Marantz Service in Switzerland with a printout of this page and complained again. Finally, they changed the main board (which is slightly different) and upgraded the software (newest 11-26-1, before 04-25-1). To display the version, open the tray and press the TIME button for about 5 seconds.

During some weeks, I really enjoyed listening with the "Original SE" version, it worked like charm, s/n was abobe MZXX0449 and software version is 11-26-1.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us