Any Rush (Canadian band) fans out there?

Username: Iknownuttin

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 9
This probably belongs somewhere else but I'm going to try here first.

I'm an old fan of Rush but rarely listen to them any more simply because the recordings are so ... I'll be kind here and say "different" :-( The recording levels are much lower then everything else I have. I have to crank it up and it still sounds like it's coming out of AM radio. It takes several songs before my ears adjusts and I can start to enjoy the music. This means I have to listen to several albums in a row and I can't mix without constantly having to adjust the levels. I haven't listened to Fly by Night (probably the worst offender) since a dogs age because it sounds like it's coming out of a Kleenex box.I've got both Vinyl and CD's but they are all the same yet the Max Webster stuff sounds just fine (same label).

What are other Rush fans doing to get around this annoying problem? More generally, how do you deal the wide variety of recording levels out there? Grin and bear it, praise the Gods who invented the remote?

Anonymous

I can't say I ever really noticed, but I only have their greatest hits albums (Retrospective I and II) on CD.

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 10
The retrospectives are often re-mastered which may explain the difference. That said, has anyone else noticed that recording levels do vary fairly significantly? Is there anything that can be done about it other then adjusting the volume between albums. I could re- record the album at a higher line level but I don't have anything that could do this without adding a lot of crap or dropping the quality ie MP3/MP4.

Username: Ricari

Post Number: 9
May I suggest you get the DVD Rush in Rio or the CD. Although it is live it is brand new. They have over 20 songs from old to new and Neil Pearts drum solo is great. The sound quality is what you would expect. Plus you can listen in 5.1 or stereo. I am sure they will eventually digitally remaster more old stuff.

Bronze Member

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 14
This is what pains me, for a 3 man band their live shows were pretty awsomes. They can project this wall of sound that many even today can only dream of. Saddly, I wince when I hear Getty trying to hit the high notes of yesteryears. He should come up with a new arrangement that either goes down an octave or a new harmony (this isn't blasphemy it's reality). I'm just glad he doesn't resort to digital voice enhancers like so many so called "artist". I can accept its use in a few limited circumstances such as during a tour when the singer has strain their voice in a previous show or fighting off cold/soar throat. Some use it during every show as a crutch.

I hope that when they finally remaster the old albums, that they bump up the line level.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1200
I lost interest in Rush after their "Grace Under Pressure" album, it was all downhill from there.

Kind of like Van Halen after "Diver Down."

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1594
Im a big fan of Rush...

Whoah, he had the EIB Network rocking today!!

HEH

Rush Fan
Unregistered guest
I do own all Rush albums and CD's and sorry to say but not much you can do, they do sound very poorly. One question, do you have a stereo or HT set up? I ask because I do have two separate systems and the sound in stereo is much better for both Vynil and CD's (As you would expect).

Bronze Member

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 17
Currently my stereo is using my HT amp (Onkyo TX-SR701). It does a pretty decent job but not as good as my old NAD which died a few months back. The nice thing of the Onkyo is that it does have discrete amps (80 watts) per channel (total of 7 amps) and it has a bypass for the front pair. I've tried with a HK stand alone and through the Onkyo and I couldn't hear any degradation when it was in bypass mode. I will be putting something there, still looking tho'.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 243
John: I am a big Rush fan, the band, not Limbaugh. I have been listening to them since the early 80's when I was a teenager. I used to have all of their albums on casette but switched to CD in the early 90's. Currently on CD I have Rush(first album self titled), Fly By Night, Caress of Steel,Hemispheres, 2112, and Signals. All of these are "The Rush Remasters" on BMG. I'll have to disagree with you and the Rush fan. These Remasters sound great. There is still that cassette "hiss" present but it has been greatly reduced. Otherwise the cd's sound quite good, recorded at a good volume,clear and dynamic. I cannot say about LP as I have only heard one album on vinyl long ago. I also don't really care for their newer stuff. Grace Under Pressure was their last album that I liked.

Bronze Member

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 22
Hi Eric,

My original Rush albums were a mix of tapes (RUSH; Caress of Steel; Hemispheres;A Farewell to King) and vinyl (2112; Fly by Night; Moving Pictures). I don't listen to the tapes anymore but I do listen to the albums from time to time and that is when I hear the difference. They don't have hiss but if you play a rock album from the same time frame then a Rush album you will hear what I mean. The recording level is much lower and the sound is compressed. My ears get used to it after a couple of songs but it is a problem. I bought the CD's (Moving Pictures; Exit Stage Left and Power Windows (gift), Signal and Grace under pressure have gone AWOL) in the 80's and I am fairly certain that they are on Anthem and weren't remastered. The Moving Pictures CD sounds just like the vinyl. I think I'll get a BMG to see if they make a difference.

Silver Member
Username: W00b

Post Number: 192
There is an article related to this on the internet, its mainly about how rock's cd mastering engineers are getting worse.. but they use rush CD's as fine examples. check them out, sorry this is the 3rd or 4th time i have posted these links on here, but they are very good links, and it will probably not be the last time i post them.. here you go.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10109
http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/8A133F52D0FD71AB86256C2E005DA F1C

the second one is dealing specifically with rush.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1272
I'm not a fan anymore but I've seen them 3 times. Once in Rockford, Illinois with Cheap Trick in the mid seventies on their "All the Worlds a Stage" tour. Then in Pocatello, Idaho and in Portland, Oregon. Can't remember the last 2 tours but one of them was for the second live album.

Anonymous

Does Geddy still rock that fluffy mullet?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us