Using an old amplifier as a preamp

Username: Pmjr

Post Number: 1
When I connect my DVD player to a Panasonic amplifer, the sound is diminished. Is it okay to place route the audio from the DVD through an old 120 watt audio theater, then to the Panasonic amplifer? If not, how can I increase the sound?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4385

Diminished compared to what?

Post Number: 2
Diminished in sound. What I was actually doing was playing karaoke video disks on my DVD. Without investing too much dollars, I took the audio out (red & white) from the DVD and used the auxiliary jacks from a Panasonic home stereo system. The sound is significantly lower.

The Panasonic system is loud enough for a small hall when playing disks. Using the DVD, at maximum volume, it is good only for a small room.
The quality is still good and not distorted, but just lowered in volume.

The old 120 watt audio theater is an old RCA audio theater. I also tried hooking the DVD through that system and it is also weak in sound.

Thus, I thought I could hook it first to that RCA system (120 total watts) and on to the Panasonic which is about 500 total watts.

Wanted to see if this would cause any damage before doing the wiring.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4392

Yes, doing what you suggest will very likely damage both amplifiers. If the level is lowered no matter what amplifier you use, the output of the DVD can be assumed to be lower than the CD and that is reflected in the final output level.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the input. Guess my next option is whether I want to invest in an amplifier.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4394

If the input level is too low for two amplifiers, it will probably be too low for a third amplifier.

Post Number: 4
Again, thanks. I also bought a regular DVD karaoke player and tried it on the amplifiers. It had mike inputs. It too was also low volume so I returned it. I do not know much about audio, but my brother has a separate Karaoke DVD player and he bought a Sony 100 watt per channel amplifier/receiver. The volume is great.

Thus, my next thought was now buying some type of power amplifier to increase the volume or something similar. I did not want to invest at first and thus tried with whatever equipment I already owned.

To supplement the equipment, I bought a karaoke mike adapter for about 20 dollars. The DVD player I am using does not have a mike input. I routed the audio sound through the adapter. Maybe I should have bought a regular mixer.

Will plan on what to do next.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us