NAD C320BEE Upgrade Advice

Username: Sycorp

Post Number: 1
my current set up are as follows:
CD Player: NAD C542
Pre Amp Tube:Consonance T99 (2 x Sovtek 6922)
Amp : NAD C320BEE (connect thru Main In)
Speaker: EPOS M12.2 on Sanus system stand
Interconnect :DIY Van Den Hul
Speaker Cable:DIY Tara Labs

My listening room is small around 3.6m x 2m with speaker along the longer side. My music is various but mostly Jazz (instrument & vocal), Classic, Opera, Rock Gospel.

I am quite happy with my system with Hibrid Amp combination but would like to upgrade a notch higher. I would like to refined the imaging, depth and smoothen the High Freq.

I have several possible upgrade in mind:
1. Change the tube on Pre Amp to Phillips/Telefunken or Mullard

2.Change the NAD C320BEE with Power Amp such Rotel RB-1070 but not quite sure whether it match with my EPOS

3.Get Quality HIFI Rack since currently my system sit on usual coffee table

How do you thik guys, any suggestion or input to get the biggest improvement with the lowest cost ?

THX

Silver Member
Username: Valeem

Post Number: 169
If you've noticed an improvement by using a different pre amp then I think it goes without saying that changing to a dedicated amp will give you the improvements you're looking for, afterall the preamp stage in the 320bee is without doubt the best part of that particular NAD. I've compared the amp section with that on my SR4300 receiver and find it's only very slightly better sounding, most people can't tell the difference, and surprisingly no different tonally. Can't help in suggesting a dedicated amp as I've not heard any yet. I would get a demo first of that Rotel as they generally tend to have a reputation for brightness and although you may get what you want in terms of imaging, depth and smoother high frequencies the addition of brightness may bring another problem. My two pence.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 693
Try to hear these :

Classe, anthem, rogue audio,aragon, krell, audio resarch, mark levinson.

The last 3 makes smaller less expensive amps - you can get a used one for about a grand at www.audiogon.com or www.audioweb.com

If you do go with one of the last 3, you will be in for a pleasant surprise ... your ears will thank you.

Since you have a good speaker, it deserves a better amp.

Post Number: 2
Thank You guys, for the input

Valeem, what you have pointed is the problem I am affraid of.

I believe that changing to Rotel amp would improve the sound but I don't want increase in brightness since I prefer more laid back / neutral sound.

James, try to get audition one of those but can you suggest less expensive amp to go with?

THX

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 821
Cayin, rogue audio, jolida, anthem, etc.

You can buy them used at www.audiogon.com
or www.audioweb.com

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1274
If you're buying new. I would look at the NAD C272 power amp. It has a lot more grunt than what you are using. I don't believe the rotel is a good match for the rest of your components. I have a Hafler 9505 power amp that I bought used for $550 that will outperform any mid fi power amp. If you can find a Hafler Transnova 9505 or 9500 used it would be good to consider it. They sound as good as many of the higher end gear like Krell, Bryston, and McCormack. Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Jamesp

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 127
Have you thought about adding a DAC for you C542? Benchmark, Musical Fidelity, and Bel Canto make excellent DACS. A DAC will lower the noise floor, extend the highs and give you more of a 3 dimensional sound. Imaging and soundstage will show definite improvements.

Silver Member
Username: Valeem

Post Number: 170
sonny,

Before you buy a fancy rack I would try some sorbothane under your cd player. I got some recently and have tried it under my CD/DVD players and find it has a positive effect on my setups. In my stereo setup I noticed an immediate improvement in bass weight with some smaller gains in focus, seperation and also a reduction in background noise, it now very quiet especially at medium to high volume. My speakers are quite revealing though so you may or may not notice all the gains as I've no experiance of Epos. Damping and isolation from one cheap and easy tweak and you can use it with some MDF to make your own isolation platforms. I have read sorbothane can benefit tube gear too.

Silver Member
Username: Jamesp

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 129
You are right that tweaks can and will make a difference in sound. Whether good or bad. There are alot of tweaks out there that are quite inexpensive such as your suggestion. For example, vibracones and pods (isolation devices) are stereophile class a recommended components and fairly inexpensive. The PS Audio power port is a hospital grade replacement outlet that is supposed to do wonders with lower noise floor and improving sound and has been highly reviewed. Check their website people are glowing about it and it is only $50. If you think a power cord will make a difference try a Volex 17604 only $12 bucks or so. It is a 14 AWG belden shielded IEC power cord. DIY'ers strongly feel this cord is a significant upgrade to the stock 18AWG unshielded cord that comes with mid level electronics.

Sonny,

The tweaks themselves may hold you over a while until the upgrade bug comes again. Then you can go back to the previous suggestions and get a better amp or DACS.

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 274
If you enjoy the warm sound your system currently gives you but want to increase the dynamics then I would definitely look to swap the C320BEE for a dedicated power amp and I think the Nad C270/C272 would give you the improvement you are looking for whilst still keeping the positives currently at the core of your system. Sure changing your speakers will also make a difference but you have a budget amp, look to move up to the next level of amplification first.

Post Number: 3
Valeem & James P,

I have tried the Vibrapod before and notice only slight changes in sound. I might not explain clearly before that all my equipment are all put on top of coffe table then added with polyfoam and finally each sitting on 18mm MDF board individually.

I have been thinking of changing my pre amp and NAD C320BEE with Integrated hybrid amp or even Integrated Tube Amp but would like to get inputs on which brand match with my Epos speaker.

Any comments and suggestions ?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us