WOW! the SDAT SB 639 Ds are stunning,amazing!

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through July 26, 2005Mr. Bias100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 375
Edster,Im just gonna listen to them,If they pay me enough I will do their marketing for them.Hey if they wanna sell themselves shortI like that its fine with me,Ill make sure I have plenty speakers to play with.Just got the Odyssey Epiphonys Thursday,these may stay in my system a long time!I might sell the 639s to my dad,they just to big for my room,it feels good to have good monitor again.To top it off its the best pair I ever had,that Klaus Blung he is on to something special here.

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
The sdat sb-e639's sound better when you biamp them. They really open up with a bigger soundstage. A must try for anybody with this speaker!

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 261
Paul, you paid about $200.00 too much for your watch. $350.00 for a Seiiko w/o sapphire crystal...bad buy!

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 744
lol ben!

Username: Mr_bias

Post Number: 4
Oh, and Ben, I couldn't help but notice your post about watches that I must have looked over. No, I never made any claims about Timex watches (or Seiko for that matter) holding their value. Resale value doesn't really cross my mind when buying a $20 watch at Walmart.

"...Your chances of a timex lasting 10 years, looking good, and telling accurate time are about nil. Sorry, you made a bad argument."

Well, first of all, I'm not knocking Rolex - I think that they are spectacular looking timepieces, and who could resist it as a status symbol, either? But I do have a modest watch collection, which contains some older Timex watches too - including two that are about 25 years old that look great and keep time accurately. I might not put my watches through rigorous stress-testing, but these ordinary Timex watches have been great for a long time. Heck, my ~40 year old Westclox 17-jewel looks amazing and still keeps decent time (and Westclox was hardly a premium wristwatch maker). I also have a ~35 year old Seiko that looks great and keeps very accurate time.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but it looks as if "my chances of having a Timex last 10 years, look good, and telling accurate time" are pretty good. Timex is not a premium brand, they do not feature exotic movements, and they don't serve as a status symbol - but they do serve as a timepiece. Keeping time was the *function* that I spoke of from the beginning of this watch tangent - so at least from my experience, most of my inexpensive watches have served me well as the *function* that I desire - keeping time.

Post Number: 5
"...Do you know the cost of a Subaru WRX vs. a VW? around 30 for the sube and 20 for the vw, does that have anything to do with quality??"

Well, for posterity's sake, which VW are you referring to Joseph? VW is not ONE car, it is a car *company*. There are many VW's out there, take your pick:

-2005 GTI $19,510-22,330 (cheaper than WRX, yes)

-2005 Jetta $17,680-$25,045 (a great deal, honest)

-2005 Passat $22,070-$33,615 (nice sedan)

-2005 Phaeton $66,950-$100,800 (amazing)

-2005 Touareg $37,140-$44,260 (if you prefer SUVs)

Neither the GTI or the Jetta match the WRX in terms of sheer power or performance, but they are not built for that purpose anyway. In their own right, they are great vehicles. The higher price of the WRX, for example, is partially due to the performance, and a little bit of Subaru's own pretentiousness, I suppose. If I were in the market for a compact performance car such as the WRX, I might consider the Jetta as pseudo-competition, even though it is more of a entry-level luxury compact sedan than a rough brute like the WRX. For $30k, I would think the WRX stands out as far as performance specs. For $20k, I would think the Jetta stands out as a unique compact sedan.

So to answer your question, I think the price difference between a WRX and an un-specified VW would be a complex result of many factors. As for a comparison between the Jetta and the WRX, I suppose the price justification from Subaru's standpoint would be the performance parts used on the WRX commands a higher price. The WRX has been around a while and garnered strong positive press from automobile publications - and the Jetta is also a well-thought-of vehicle. I like both, and wouldn't mind owning both. They fulfill different niches in the automobile market. In my mind, they both represent a good buy - good quality and good value. So, what's your point?

Post Number: 6
The only reason I keep replying to these arguments is because they really fail to provide any evidence toward supporting the act of "juding a book by its cover". Complex products such as cars or speakers need detailed consideration to make an opinion, and these arguments just do not prove otherwise.

Oh, and grammar helps when posing a question or providing your opinion. This thread might have turned into a lesson on backing up your opinions. Cars and watches fall flat on doing so, however.

Post Number: 7
While grammar helps, so does spelling...

I meant to say "judging a book by its cover"...

Bronze Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 48
FYI, the R32 is VW's shot at the WRX and Mitsu Evo.

Post Number: 8
Yes, and the R32 is pretty sweet, too. As far as I have seen, however, the 2004 was the last R32 model year. (Correct me if I'm wrong...)

But here's a run-down of a comparison between the two, for old times' sake...

-2004 VW R32

..$29,100 base price, up to $30,625
..240 HP @ 6,520 rpm
..Curb weight: 3,409 lbs
..0-60 time: reported from around 6 to 6.6 seconds

details...
http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/golf_r32.asp

-2005 Subaru WRX sti

..$ 32,445 to $ 33,890 range
..300 HP
..Curb weight: 3298 lbs
..0-60 time: 4.9 sec

details...
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/06/23/134049.html

So I guess on a direct comparison, the R32 provides decent competition. I'm also partial to the "boxy" look of the R32 - and enough performance modifications could bring the HP and acceleration times up, if one so desires. Overall, though, I'd say at the $30k price point, both represent strong performance (and future potential) bang for your buck. I do hope VW continues to make the R32...

Post Number: 9
Well, this thread has digressed much beyond the original topic, with much of the digression coming from me. But like DA said...

"...it isn't particularly wise to judge a loudspeaker without listening to it first..."

And I believe that this holds true for any speaker - including skeptics of expensive speakers' claims, too. I must state again (for the record) that none of this defense has been posted as a direct support for SDAT. It seems like support of SDAT products is second to communism - my support of fairness when evaluating a product somehow got me 'sniffed' out as some sort of industry pawn. Instead, it just started as a call for fairness in judgement, no matter what brand name or price level is brought up. I would hope that everyone could at least agree to keep a (somewhat) open mind until they listen to an audio device (receiver, amp, speaker, you name it!).

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1674
Ben,
I have no clue what you're talking about. This is my exact watch except for minor cosmetic changes.

Mine is gold/silver combo without the grey metal, and it has a white face. Other than cosmetics, this is exactly what I have.
http://www.seikousa.com/Product.aspx?productId=138
Obviously, I didnt pay full retail, but my watch is the exact same except for color, and the wristband pattern.

Ragazzo
Unregistered guest
It is funny how material things can be so important to some people,$350.00, $595.00 , $50.00... why is the price so essential?...it just gives the time...nothing else

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
Perceptions and status.

Username: Zorro

Post Number: 1
Ego

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
That too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 378
Well if you wanted to use cars as a analysis,the Dodge Neon quicker and much cheaper $21,000 0-60 in 5.4 seconds

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 285
Has anybody on this forum besides Wager and T-Man actually heard the SDATs? I wonder?

Plus, much as hate to digress further, I told J.C. I am somewhat into watches, not to his extent. I've got a couple of Omegas, a couple of high end Sectors (most of you will never have heard of them but they outsell Tag Hauer in Europe and are considered the better sports watch), a couple of Seikos and a 25 plus year old Timex that's still keeping time, date, stopwatch functions, etc. and it's a heck of alot easier to deal with than the Omegas, which are self winding.

That said, there's no comparison in quality, time accuracy, holding resale value (they're actually worth more than I paid for them) or "pretty quality". Yes, plenty of people on this forum buy speakers solely based upon name recognition and pretty quality. As for the SDATs holding their own against speakers 2-4 times their value, let's listen and judge. I just did that with Tim's Lings and Ascend CBM 170s and compared the Ascends to speakers costing up to $1000 each versus $358/pair.

Now, you guys really don't want to get me going on cars, do ya? I actually know something about those things, unlike audio equipment and I've got the 30 plus years of car magazines and 40-50 vehicles I've owned to prove it, although I've never owned a Timex car. And, I wouldn't own another VW on a bet or a Fiat.

And, Chris, you do win, you're actually Korean, although I don't remember which thred it came up in BUT I'm still looking. LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1675
Dak,
Im kinda like you. I have a drawer with several old watches that have lost favor. As far as I know, they all work, except for their dead batteries.....mostly Cititezens and Seikos. As for the watch ego thing??? If that was a concern, I would have none of the above and would have something made of real gold, but I have no interest in the 'jewelry' watches.

Choosing a watch for an anniversary gift is probably a bad idea though, because you'll feel guilty for replacing it(if it isnt broken).

I do have a cheap casio divers watch too:-) I'll wear that if I'm going to the pool or beach. The bevel doesnt rotate anymore though. Apparently the salt water didnt agree with it. HEH

Anonymous

Am I on the right web site? I thought that this was an audio forum. There seems to be more discussion of cars, wrist watches and diamond rings than audio equipment. I'm sure that there are web site forums out there specific to these products if that is your interest.

Anonymous

Am I on the right web site? I thought that this was an audio forum. There seems to be more discussion of cars, wrist watches and diamond rings than audio equipment. I'm sure that there are web site forums out there specific to these products if that is your interest.

Silver Member

Post Number: 380
Just trying make some price to performance examples.

Silver Member

Post Number: 288
T,

I posted the following on Jan's thread also. I think it needs to be said here also. So, let the healing begin and let's talk audio, OK?

"Hey, I've got great respect for T-Man, great knowledge, poor typist. My wife can't type or use a computer worth a darn but she's one of the brightest, most well read, knowledgeable people I know (NO COMMENTS HERE PAUL!!!!). Anyway, the point being that no one should be judged by their ability to type or how that impacts their ability to convey ideas. Rather, the ideas should be inspected to see whether there is merit there, fair enough?

Jan, IMHO, did a no-no in using the "S" word, but I think this battle started on a couple of other threads and Jan's patience had been exceeded. SO, everyone, including you T-Man, needs to cut Jan some slack.

I've watched this thing between Jan and T-Man degenerate or escalate, depending on your point of view and it seems a little silly. T-Man got off on the wrong foot with a couple of people BUT we continued to follow along, he demonstrated some knowledge of audio and hi-fi and he began to provide useful opinions and thoughts, POSSIBLY, too strongly put forth in some cases but, hey, in my profession sometimes you have to be overly assertive to make your point. Also, sometimes I had to do that just to grow up from very humble circumstances, where my opinions and thought processes were discounted because of the messenger or the way the message was presented rather than the message itself.

Likewise, I've followed along on several of Jan's threads and I consider myself well read, reasonably articulate across many, varied subjects, EXCLUDING AUDIO I MIGHT ADD, and Jan simply amazes me with his breadth and width of knowledge. He's engaging, has integrity and got a good sense of humor.

Anyone following along on "Do you listen" will note that most of those qualities are those I look for in music, amplified or not. So, I guess that also makes Jan "musical." Anyway, I always take too long to make a point, it's a longstanding failing, I'm afraid.

I just think Jan and T-Man need to step back, recognize that each of them have expertise and information to share, and they need to agree to do it with everyone, and each other, in a more polite, respectful way. OKAY, GROUP HUG!!!!"

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1358
actually this has been an interesting digression, after all the name-calling.

Nothing wrong with an off-topic extravaganza once in while! : )

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Now if you want a car that isn't worth its price tag (IMO anyways), look to the Acura NSX. Paying 90,000 to get smoked by a WRX isn't my idea of fun.

Silver Member

Post Number: 382
Well im fine as far as cutting Jan some slack Dave,how can I and others do that when he routinly disrespects me and others?He needs to learn how to talk to people and until he learns I will never cut him any slack.We all have our opinions and we are intitled to them so what gives him the right to say thats wrong or to call someone stupid.Well I will try to control my emotions better than I have in the past I promise,but I think he should to.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1678
That happens to every thread after it's run it's course, and people are still posting.

Silver Member

Post Number: 384
Well DA the NSX is much more refined car like comparing Pauls CVs to the JM Lab Micro Utopias the CVs will show them the door in bass extention,but Micro Utopias are built better lots more detail and do all the little things better thats where the justified price comes in at.Apples and oranges yes,but still relivent.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1681
And the SVS showes the CVs the door.......

HEH

If having large dramatic movie theater sound is of any interest, you need to gather up all your boutique garbage, and show "IT" to the door, or trash can.....whichever is closer.

Once you rid you system of all it's boutique snake oil soaked halfpint components, going 'OUT' to a real theater is a disappointing sound experience like it was for me going out to see the new star wars recently.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
The NSX is more refined than a Subie, sure. But compare it to something like an SLK55 for 30 grand less, and you will wonder why the heck the NSX is so pricey. And then there are other car mag favorites like the BMW M3 which will wipe the floor with the NSX all day long, and still retain plenty of style.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 519
paul stop takling about that garbage psychology of yours. and why are we talking about cars again? i thought this was an audio forum. maybe im in the wrong section.

Silver Member

Post Number: 290
Anyone seen the photos of the new Porsche Cayman? Think sexier Boxster with a coupe. Performancewise, I'd wait to spend my money D.A. before running out and buying the SLK. (Yes, I'm driven the NSX, fairly hard I might add, driven the Subie but not the SLK55. Acura had a good idea with the NSX when it first came out and they priced slightly above the Corvette. It was, literally, almost equal in looks and performance to Ferraris and Lambos costing 3-5 times as much. (Think Ascends here, Chris.)

So, what were you paying for with the higher priced vehicles, CACHET, the name and what I call the "oogle" factor. Men and boys, girls and women, salivating at your comings and goings. Yet, the NSX was plenty good looking in its day, IT'S OUTLIVED THAT DAY. But, there's a new one on the drawing board, we'll see if it get's built.

The point being, people are always going to buy something that's "popular" or "name brand" just because. Back to Bose, as I've said before, I've got a friend who tells you they have a Bose system as if that's the only answer to sound. I don't have the heart to tell them BUT I do invite them over to watch movies and then watch their faces when the center, rears and sub kick in. LOL.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 746
Sdat's suck.

lmao!

Silver Member

Post Number: 262
Mr Bias,

Buying something and not using it doesn't count.

Paul,

Why do you sign in and comment as an unregistered guest who sitll paid $200.00 too much for his Seiko. You sure are in love with Japanese products, aren't you? You should move there.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Who said anything about buying it. I just like to look in magazines :-) And yes, part of the NSX's problem is that it is an ancient design. I heard the new one got canned though in Motor Trend; but who knows.

Silver Member

Post Number: 385
Well the NSX had its time,it was never praised for being the fastest supercar it was praised for being the most cival of the bunch and being a great handlier,their is more to a sportscar other than speed,just as their is more to speaker other than having deep bass.I'll take refinement anyday which means I would take the NSX over the WRX even if it is the STI.

Post Number: 10
"...Buying something and not using it doesn't count..."

Ben, just exactly what are you referring to? Try not to be so cryptic - it's hardly an effective tool for argumentative purposes.

If you're referring to my wrist watches, they've all been in use throughout their life. The Westclox was actually a gift from my Grandmother when my Grandfather passed away. It was his "daily-use" watch, and I considered it a great keepsake to remember him by. The Timex's, too, have been in use throughout their entire existence. Now you're just reaching for straws when the argument is over. You don't have to spend Rolex prices on watches to have them last beyond a few years. So just what exactly are you proving now?

And your comment to Paul - just immature. Come on, get over it and let this one go.

Silver Member

Post Number: 264
Bias,

You made a bad argument and I proved it.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 748
Mr. Bias, please LET IT GO yourself. Give it a rest already.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 292
Hey Tawaun and DA why would I want to spend 90 grand on an NSX when for $25k I can buy a new Mustang GT with 300HP and add a supercharger for about $5k more to open it up to 450HP and smoke the NSX and the WRX in the quarter mile? Yes I'm a Mustang fan I've owned several.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
"...Bias,

You made a bad argument and I proved it..."

Whatever helps you sleep at night, Ben. Your argumentative skills are profoundly lacking. You've proven nothing, I know now as I knew before that a Rolex is a piece of jewelry and NOTHING about it (no fancy movement, no amount of precious materials on the outside of the case, no amount of talk) enhances the FUNCTION as a device to KEEP TIME.

My argument: be open-minded and don't judge items solely based on price (cars, watches, speakers, any other consumer product)

Your argument: I've owned lots'a Rolex watches in my day, and they're "lifetime" watches, therefore I can judge products completely based on what they cost. No other aspect needs to be considered.

Did I miss something here? Ben, you need to work on your communication skills. It seems as if 3/4ths of your side of the argument is taking place in your head, but not making it to your posts. Do you need me to argue your side as to produce an effective and applicable argument against my lobby for fairness? So far it would seem that you do, since you've proven nothing but a great customer loyalty to Rolex and a lack of anything else.

Joe and Ben, best friends forever? Come on guys, how many "yes men" do we need anyway?

SEQUENCE of EVENTS

1. I've asked for everyone to consider fair judgement of audio products (whatever brand, I don't really care).

2. Someone comes back with an ineffective argument saying that some other expensive product (watches?) proves how price is the main determinant of quality. No one was ever effective in enlightening us on how a Rolex keeps better time than any other watch - or how it enhances the basic funtion of a watch.

3. I reply, simply stating the inadequacies of said argument, and restating my original purpose.

4. Someone replies back and says "I've proven you wrong" even though they've proven nothing but their underdeveloped ability to both a)carry on a meaningful argument, and b)consider a complex set of criteria by which a device may be judged.

At least put together more than one sentence saying "You're wrong" to back up your side of things. Are you really arguing against having an open mind - or do you even know what you're really arguing for Ben? I have my doubts. Of course, judging by your posts, I would believe that you stick to a rigorous one-track-mind mentality.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
Eric: True enough. Add some drag slicks and you've got yourself a winner.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
My personal favorite is still the Lotus Elise though. Can outhandle just about any production car in existance. Turbocharge the I-4 engine and it can outrun most in a straight line too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 265
Bias,

I'm sorry you don't read very well. I hope you listen better.

Like I said, you made a bad argument.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Well, we'll agree to disagree, I suppose.

You're posts never wen't beyond this stunning display of penmanship:

"...I don't know of any Timex watches with sapphire crystal or automatic movement..."

and this whopper:

"...Wait ten years and see which has held its value better: a Rolex, Seiko, or Timex. Seiko's are ok, but not in the same class as a Rolex. Most Seiko watches have cheap cases, crystals, and bands. Timex is about two notches below Seiko. A Rolex is a lifetime watch. I know about Seiko and Timex because I have owned several of them...Your chances of a timex lasting 10 years, looking good, and telling accurate time are about nil. Sorry, you made a bad argument..."

The "Timex couldn't last 10 years" argument (which is so immature its pathetic) I clearly proved wrong (as can millions of other people). Plus, the ORIGINAL matter at hand never said anything regarding a speaker "holding it's value". YOU need to check your reading skills, since you still haven't proven how a Rolex improves upon the BASIC FUNCTION OF A WATCH.

Once again: a watch tells time. My Pulsar, Seiko, and Timex watches all TELL TIME ACCURATELY. Rolex doesn't improve upon that function, although they are grand luxury watches (honestly). My watches certainly don't represent luxury watches - they are just standard timepieces. All the fancy gadgetry in the world doesn't make a Rolex tell time any more accurately than any other timepiece. They might have exotic movements - but the END RESULT (which is looking at your wrist to obtain the time) is no different. A minute hand, hour hand, and (possibly) a seconds hand - this is a standard output.

A speaker (now sound this one out) REPRODUCES RECORDED SOUND. If you are trying to parallel your Rolex collection to speakers, you have yet to PROVE anything. You can spend thousands on a Rolex, but it reports the time using a 12-hour format watch face, correct? Your argument is tantamount to spending thousands of dollars on a speaker with fancy gadgetry inside that still sounds like a very normal loudspeaker. The END RESULT of a speaker is AUDIBLE SOUND which our ears and brain (and perceptions & biases) then process. IF you were to compare two speakers (can you process hypothetical questions?) that had a drastic price difference but sounded exactly the same to you, which one would you buy? I'm certainly NOT saying that this would always be the case, but it happens more than most people think. Some speakers demand a higher price because the END RESULT (read: the SOUND) is better (more precise, improved frequency response, sensitivity, etc.), while others cost more just for a name and supposed benefits (such as Bose).

You've missed the point entirely. I know that spending more usually can result in a higher quality product. But this cannot be your only determinant. If I desire a watch to TELL TIME, then spending more on a Rolex will not result in a better TIME-READING experience. If I desire to purchase a watch with an intricate & unique movement and a case that is adorned with precious materials, then a Rolex is a wonderful choice, and to many, the best. (READ: I've never said that Rolex watches aren't desireable products...)

So do you see where you've missed the point? Compare these two options for me:

1. Paradigm Monitor 5
2. Bose 301

The Bose pair goes for about $690, while the Paradigms can be purchased for over $100 less. Are the 301's better because they cost more? According to most ears, no.

Or this comparison:

1. Cambridge SoundWorks Model Six (+ Subwoofer of choice, if you desire)
2. Any Bose Acoustimass system

The Model Six pair can be had for $100 to $150, versus the Bose price of about $1000 to $1,300. Even adding a sub (or another pair of 6's) could be done well under the $1000 mark. Does the high price warrant better sound?

That's been my argument since day one. Many aspects (including price) should be evaluated in comparing audio equipment. I thought that I made this clear a long time ago. Does anyone else agree?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Oh, and for clarification's sake, I'm not comparing Rolex watches to Bose speakers. Rolex products acutally command a high price due to their materials and construction, whereas Bose seems to be inflated for status' sake. I don't mean to jump on the "I hate Bose" bandwagon, either, but they are an easy example of exorbitant prices for products that lack the performance to back it up.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1701
I think for most people, watches holding value is irrelevent. To me, that would be akin to be being concerned about which brand of shoes, or und*rwear hold their value. People dont buy watches for resale value, because for many, they're disposable goods. The same holds true for electronics of all kinds.

Am I the only one that isnt such a mizer as to hock everything they've ever bought on ebay?? Heck, I even gave away a working 48" TV for Christ sake, rather than selling it. I gave it to a stranger.(wifes coworker) We were actually asking around to see if anybody would do us 'this favor' to take it off our hands.

Too bad Eddie doesnt live nearby, because Lord knows he needs to get something bigger than that 20" Panny of his.
HEH

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
Bias,

Are the words in caps trying to say tomething?

You lost! Not only did you lose, you are trying to resort to name calling. I did that when I was five, but I matured. You have not.

I didn't realize that you wore your Timex every day for 25 plus years. I am amazed that the crystal doesn't show any signs of wear. I imagine the metal finish is perfect along with the original band. I bet the dial isn't showing any signs of dirt or discoloration. Wow 25 years of constant use and a pristine watch. If you tape a dime to it, it will be worth $0.10.

Do you think if you go buy a Timex today you will get as lucky? How anout a nice Ironman?

I would hope that one would look at the build quality of a speaker (after all they are furniture) when evaluating models. Vinyl laminate looks so attractive when it begins to peel. In my mind, paying more for a good sounding speaker that will hold up to years of use is worth it...unless you buy a cheaper spraker and use it once a year...like your Timex.

Bronze Member
Username: Rd11

Post Number: 24
Not having a moderator is making this entire site pathetic. Nerds with keyboard muscles ranting over and over again. I have learned alot on this forum but its usefulness is gone. Now we have only a handful of replies from the same people with the same comments over and over again. This site has lost its appeal. I would recommend a site that I visit now but I would be afraid the handful of "experts" would corrupt that site too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 387
Come on the Mustang is the Bose of cars,like the 901s being able to handle a 1000 watts and play 20htz to 20 klhtz,they always have high horsepower ratings and are supposed to do lots of things on paper.In real life situations they get smoked on the regular basis by Honda Civics,dont even mention any of cars we were talking about in the same breath as that overrated pig.

Silver Member

Post Number: 300
Hey now T-Man,

My first real car was a Mustang ('67, metallic blue, 289 and still one of the best cars i've owned.) The new pony car is a great marketing job by Ford to recapture that lost luster.

But, having said that, yeah you could go the $35,000 GT route and throw in a supercharger, NOTE - your warranty is now gone, and you'd have a $40,000 mustang with a solid axle rearend that can't out corner a VW Golf with a few suspension tweaks. Yes, it's a decent straightline car at that point but none of us drive in straight lines, do we?

Now, Ben and Mr. B, give the watch/speaker analogy a rest. First, it just doesn't work for many reasons. Second, the only point that Mr. B was trying to make to J.C., initially, and now you, Ben, is that cost does not equate to quality, or in speakers, it does not follow that the most expensive speaker sounds the best.

HOW IS THAT A HARD CONCEPT TO GRASP? Look on about 50 threads in this forum and that point is made over and over again. Yes, some people purchase specific speakers because they contain quality components, are great looking furniture and they sound good.

(Hey, I've got a pair of Altec Lansing Stonehenge II speakers sitting in storage in my basement. They were $479 or $549 a piece in 1978. They are solid oak cabinets and huge and incredibly pretty. They sounded great and with a 15" woofer, they had great treble to bass extension. Well, after 15 years of use the cones were shot. My Rock Solids are 15 years old, sound better than when I bought them, which ain't bad, and they cost $250/pair.)

The Rock Solids still work. Yes, Altec Lansings were pretty high end, at least the reference/monitor models I was looking at at the time and they had a paper surround that failed in about 100% of the speakers. BUT, those paper cones also made great music. So, my point is, that Mr. B's point is well taken so quit the petty squabbling and let's get back on topic for the T-Man or take it to another thread where you to can argue to your hearts content.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 752
Mr Bias = Nerds with keyboard muscles ranting over and over again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1702
Dak,
Hey...you should get those babies reconed:-) I had mine reconed for under $200.

Bronze Member
Username: Houpa

Rowland Hts, CA USA

Post Number: 13
This is Kenny form SDAT GROUP.
for the one who haven't listen to the SB-e639 speaker, I would love to send them to you FREE. you don't have to pay a penny. just email me at
kenny@sdatgroup.com
My opnion is don't call us white van or cheep %^$&
untill you hear them. so i am hearing to give away as many speaker as i need to, to give you guys a leason.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1703
Free speakers???

HEH

Silver Member

Post Number: 390
David the old Mustangs were classics, but these new come on they are jokes,just because they sound good people think they are fast,but they are slow as a turtle and not to mention they used old platform for over 30 years since the 70s.I love old Mustangs and many other people still do,but right now they only surviving off of their name and heritage,they are not like the old ones.Honda civics no matter what kind of turbo was in them would have never beat a 67 stang.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Thanks, Dakulis - it helps to know that someone read my extremely long-winded posts to understand where I was coming from. I do apologize for keeping it going so long, but I'm in disbelief that the root of the issue can be so vastly overlooked by some users. But I suppose that they feel insulted, or find it difficult to accept a common-sense concept from someone they have so much contempt for. I'm worn out from trying to get my point across, though, especially when I realize that it just isn't going to happen with some people. I guess even emphasizing that I'm not knocking Rolex didn't help to soothe the hurt. Oh well, I need to get back to servicing my enormous Timex collection - I just can't keep those cheap watches working to save my life.

[Aside, as if in dispair...] I sure wish my watches were monetarily valuable - all I think about it selling these worthless timepieces that have nothing but sentimental value - it's not like I received them all as second hand keepsakes from deceased relatives anyway. Now how am I going to achieve early retirement?

[Suddenly, with newly found hope...] I know, I'll sell all my stereo equipment! Now where is the glue? I've got to fix that peeling vinyl laminate before I throw these things on Ebay...

Silver Member

Post Number: 392
They are big monsters Paul you might like them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 393
Kenny I will take you up on that offer,but not for the 639s I already have a pair.I would like to try the bookshelf speaker and include it in a shoutout we are conducting.

Silver Member

Post Number: 394
RJD why dont you go to that forum you are talking about Im sure none of us would follow a complainer like you.So get to steppin dude!

Bronze Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 83
Tawaun, that's a pretty bold statement about the old Mustangs. They're great to look at and can be a blast to drive, but (in stock form) they were NOT that fast. In fact, in this month's Motor Trend, they re-published their test results of a '68 GT (390) from January, 1968.

0-60: 7.8 sec.
1/4 mile: 15.2 @ 94 mph

Those are some pretty ordinary numbers. He11 my IS300 will turn out low-7sec. 0-60 and 14.8 @ 98 runs all day, and it's by no means a drag racer.

Silver Member

Post Number: 396
Z how many peoples performance cars do you actually think is stock,My Chrysler ConQuest Tsi isnt stock im running a 19c turbo about 385 h.p. at the wheels with 15lbs of boost I will Mustangs for breakfast.

Bronze Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 84
You said:

Honda civics no matter what kind of turbo was in them would have never beat a 67 stang.

You said absolutely nothing about mods to the 'Stang. And that Conquest would have given my old '93 (almost stock) FD3S a nice run - sounds nice :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 302
Paul,

Hey, they're sitting in the basement for a reason. I'm going to get them reconed and then spring them on the wife. Hey, you got an extra bedroom? LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 397
Z yeah I didnt say anything about mods,well equivilent to better speaker wire and interconnects for audio everyone tweaks their stuff.FD3s whats that?

Bronze Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 85
'93 Mazda RX-7 TT. FD3S was the internal code for the 3rd-generation RX-7.

Silver Member

Post Number: 399
Oh god I am getting rusty with my cars,my dad bought new 1st gen in 1979 when they first came out I had a second gen about 3 years ago that was pretty mint for a 87 I couldnt find anythng to do to it but the porting and it was to expensive for just a little bit of performance.So I trade it in for a 94 miata.

Silver Member

Post Number: 303
T-Man,

You're absolutely correct again, the A-Ls are large. About 4 feet tall X 24" wide by 18" and weigh about 60 lbs each.

But Paul, my 85 lb CBR can still knock them over if I leave them standing out from the wall, which isn't necessary because they're not ported.

Now, as for old metal, I'll take E-Type Jaguar for pure sensuality and speed. Hey, there were cars faster and there were cars that were prettier but there weren't many cars that were faster and prettier. Or, I'd take an old Porsche Speedster but we'd have to give up the faster part above but they were pretty. Or, if we're going way back, just give me a "gullwing" Mercedes and we'll call it good. I think it's one of the finest looking cars ever, excluding all the really exotic Ferrari/Bugatti offerings.

Silver Member

Post Number: 304
Back again. Just 1 problem with the A-Ls, unlike the cars above, they didn't have horns. So, Peter, what'd you going to do without a horn?

Silver Member

Post Number: 267
Bias,

Add your sentiment to the dime attached to the Timex and it still will be worth $0.10. I imagine if you do take your non-working Timex to a dealer for repair, they will laugh you out of the shop.

What is it so hard for you to accept that you are wrong? You are stating facts based upon heresey. You don't have a 70's Rolex and I am beginning to question if you even have a 70's timex. And I know you never even compared the two.

You can't even get the price of 301's or Acoustimass correct...jeez. If you are going to make things up, you should make sure that people can't go to the Bose website and see the truth. Way to build the credibility of your arguments.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Ben: Who cares? The point is a Rolex will not by any material amount tell time better than a Timex. Yes, it may last longer(but how much of that is due to the special treatment it gets over a Timex?). Yes it may be worth more. But in the end, its jewelry.

And if you really want accurate time, try one of them new fangled watches that checks its time regularly against the USNO atomic clock.

Silver Member

Post Number: 402
I dont know Dave its a suped up Ford Taurus,in a lot of ways and other ways its a vintage Jaguar.For me its a Miata the best selling sportscar of all time,its not the fastest or the most exotic,but no other car that I no of can offer the communication with the driver like it.September is gonna be my favorite month the redesigned version will be here,im thinkin about it,but next year the turbo is comming 220 h.p. with 2300 lbs thats a monstrous power to weight ratio.The Miata talks to you like Nora Jones singing to you on a quality audio system,what more can I say!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1363
Kenny Li,

I just sent you an email with all my shipping information.

I am definitely looking forward to hearing your speakers and will write a fair and honest review of them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
So Kenny will just give us speakers, no strings attached?

Silver Member

Post Number: 307
T,

Notice I said vintage E-Type. The new ones are actually Ford Mondeo (European Ford chassis). Yeah, I wouldn't go there with Jaguar today.

Miatas are absolutely great vehicles. After all the kids are out of school, I'm either looking at the Cayman or saving a bunch of money and buying the new Miata for a Spring/Summer driver only. (I'll garage it in the winter so it doesn't get its pretty body banged up.) LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 403
Yeah,Dave mine stays in a garage but they are tough one of the most reliable cars you can buy,I bought mine in California drove to Ohio with no problems.I have four other cars so I dont drive it in the winter but if they all broke down it would happily do the job.I dont drive the Conquest in the winter just to much power,so I drive the 90 eclipse gsx or the 86 Saab 900 Turbo with only 86,000 miles on it,and my wife drives the F-150,oh yeah my ZX 10 in the summer is trully fast fun.

Silver Member

Post Number: 404
So Edster which ones are you gonna listen to?

Bronze Member
Username: Houpa

Rowland Hts, CA USA

Post Number: 14
For the ones who emailed me, i think i replied all of them. Your speaker will be shipped out around 8 2nd
please provide full shipping info and your shipping carrier acount NO. if you don;t have it, email me address and i will qoute them and you need pay me before i ship it.
due to way to many peaple wants this, i am only giving away Max 5 pairs. i do beleive there is more chance if you act fast. try to give me a good reason in order for me to give it FREE to you.
Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 308
Geez T, you need another car or two. :-)

I'm down to four myself, BUT, I've got three kids who drive. The Acura TL-S is just solid, great off the line, corners reasonably well and doesn't make you feel every little rock, expansion joint or pothole like the M3 I sold.

The M3 was the best car I've owned since the Porsche BUT any repairs or services were pricey. A couple of service trips would have bought the Ascends and a sub. SO, way too much fun and way too many tickets so it had to go.

My son drives a Saab turbo too, 9-3, and my daughter gets a fairly hot little Neon, shared with her older brother. The wife drives a Jeep Wrangler, what is it with women and trucks, HUH? I tried to get her into something nice, semi-luxurious and I got the "THAT'S AN OLD WOMAN'S CAR!!!" ("OK, put down the knife, I'm backing away slowly, dear.") LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 405
Yeah Dave those trucks burn a ton a gas,but you know women they love to waste money.Plus they think their smarter than us,but they cant figure out that trucks burn more gas and not to mention we are in a recesion.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1366
Tawaun,

I'm assuming he's going to be sending me the 639s since that's what this thread is about. I'll check that with him.

Wow, this is going to be very interesting: Tim's Lings vs. Ascend 170s vs. Ascend 340s vs. Soliloquy vs. SDAT! Looks like there will be 3 of us present.

Silver Member

Post Number: 411
Yeah, Edster im trying to get the bookshelfs from him they do look real interesting and they would work perfect for this showdown.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 387
I will be very interested in what you guys think of these. I keep running the numbers in my head, being somewhat familiar with component design and manufacture, and it just doesn't add up for me. I'm assuming they are shipped directly from China fully assembled so unless he's selling at a loss the parts must be very low cost. If he's discovered the miracle of making cheap parts sound like expensive ones then there are a whole bunch of us that better figure out the secret.
One thing that really bothers me is that several people have asked for technical information and none has been given. Why? Either something is being hidden or he doesn't know.

Silver Member

Post Number: 418
Well Tim if he does have a secret yeah we better figure it out.I dont think he is gonna tell it and Im not really sure if he knows Ive only spoken to him twice, the only I noticed is that he spoke the best english out his staff,but hey I could be wrong.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1708
"For the ones who emailed me, i think i replied all of them. Your speaker will be shipped out around 8 2nd
please provide full shipping info and your shipping carrier acount NO. if you don;t have it, email me address and i will qoute them and you need pay me before i ship it."
------------------------------
Now we have to give you account numbers????

Geesh, I thought you were going to pay for shipping???

Anybody who gives that fool account numbers deserves to get ripped off.

Silver Member

Post Number: 317
Paul,

I offered him C.O.D. or i'd pay him in advance for reasonable shipping costs. We'll see if Kenny comes through on those. If not, dang I'll have to live with my dinky speakers until the A-Ls are reconed and sprayed with my new invisible paint so the wife can't see them. LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1714
Dak,
That guy is nothing but a scammer. Nobody is going to give away free speakers, and no free SDATS will ever arrive at your home.

Silver Member

Post Number: 423
He aint getting one from me!

Bronze Member
Username: Soundideas

Post Number: 17
Anyone that trys out these SDAT SB-E639 speakers here's what made them sound better for me. When you hook up your speaker cables to these speakers, hook them up on the top posts (High frequency posts) and them use jumper cables to the low frequency posts. They also sound better when I put 3 Mi-Rollers www.mihorn.com under each speaker

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 390
You don't help your cause by posting under a different name.

Silver Member

Post Number: 435
Boy, you and your company are loosing the little bit of credibility that you had.If I dont endorse you,your existence on this forum will go down the toilet.So ,look Kenny you better stand up to your offers, and quit trying to get peoples account numbers,what do you need that for if you are giving them away free.Your hanging on by the thread buddy!

Shermanez
Unregistered guest
Personally, I didn't think that being asked to cover the shipping charges was an unreasonable request to get free speakers.
There really isn't any risk giving someone a UPS or FedEx account number to ship against. It's not like your giving out your credit card and pin numbers or something. I have provided Kenny with my FedEx number and am looking forward to receiving the speakers.
If the FedEx number gets used by Kenny for anything other than this one authorized shipment, FedEx credits the account and goes after him for any unauthorized shipments...

Silver Member

Post Number: 459
I see that Kenny hasnt delivered on any of his promises,so I will not endorse SDAT anymore.Kenny you cant say that were not given a chance To prove your product,but I think you just sunk your battleship.I will sell mine to my dad,better yet im gonna do what you promised,but didnt deliver Im gonna give them to him free.I cant back a product that the company doesent even back.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
I'm using anti-cables with these SDAT SB-E639D speakers and they sound really good with these speakers! www.anti-cables.com Here's what some are saying...... The link is not working, you have to click on where it says...newaudiosociety home page the click on product reviews then click on MAGWIRES.... http://newaudiosociety.com/reviews/cables3.html and http://newaudiosociety.com/reviews/cables5.html They talk about these cables on the audiogon forum too.....

Silver Member

Post Number: 471
Hey man arent you listening,we wanna see results we are not talking about any cables,Richard we know you are Kenny, so stop trying to insult our intelligence,you are getting redundant.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1086
None of thoe links works anyway...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
NO, I'm not Kenny! I just enjoy these speakers a lot and I want you all to get the best sound out of these that you can. I found out by braiding these anti-cables together they sound even better....very smooth across the board! Someone on www.newaudiosociety.com replaced his $2200.00 cables with the ani-cables! This link works! When get on their web site, click on product reviews, its on the left hand side. Then go down the page until you see cables, click on Magwires speaker cables, Rooze is the reviewer that replaced his $2200.00 cables with ani-cables! And they sound even better after you braid them. Some people on Audiogon forum are replacing their high priced cables after hearing the ani-cables too! These cables are the real deal!

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 813
Just an update, Kenny emailed me today and said he was working on getting us those speakers. He said he was not the boss and is trying. Sounds like he's at least trying.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1785
hahahaha

I wouldnt hold my breath.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1098
I emailed Kenny on that day and never got a response.

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
I wanted to know why these speakers sound so good so I took one of the subwoofers out to see how they made this speaker. It has a 2 chamber dual step vented box design and they use Soundcaps crossover caps, its very well made inside too! They only have damping around half of the subwoofer only no other damping in the cabinets at all!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us