Looking for opinions on NAD AV receivers

Unregistered guest
I had originally posted this to Hawk, but I'd love all feedback...

I'm currently the owner of an NAD T761. I'm getting rid of it because of continuous problems I've encountered with it (see post from "NAD T761/T742" Jason Hildebrand for full story). I love NAD sound, and I'm unfortunately stuck with it because of dealing with Lenbrook directly, so I'm going to get a different model. I have my eye on the T763 and the T773. Money is no object, so that's not coming into play. I would consider separates, but space doesn't allow for it. I currently run PSB stratus gold mains, PSB 8c center, Vienna Acoustic rears and run a second pair of B&W bookshelves in my kitchen out of the Speaker B outs. I'm also running all video through the system and have a CD player running through digital in, and using 5.1 analog audio for my DVD. Now, knowing all that, can anyone advise. I've read a lot of the threads around on both, and it seems that they both still have some problems with quality issues and noise. It looks as though the T763 seems to have less and that's why I'm considering it. Since I'm dealing with Lenbrook directly on this purchase, it's not as easy to just keep sending back problem receivers as taking it to a dealer and getting a new one. So I'm just curious on opinions.

thanks

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 333
NAD T761/T742, February 22.

Running "Search" with the string "T761" gives some positive recommendations, too. Having followed many "NAD receiver bug" stories here, the only definite conclusion I can see is that NAD always steps in if the dealer does not. If NADs are more bug-prone tham most (and that is not proven) then the main question is "is it worth all the trouble?". I don't think you have to have any connection with Dolby or anyone else to get this level of customer service.

It looks to me as if early model T753, 763 and 773s were unually susceptible to induced hum, but this did not affect everybody, it depends on the local environment. Later models have an upgraded power supply capacitor which addresses the problem. NAD swiftly replaces the capacitor in earlier models, under warranty, if the owner has that problem. None of these models can be out of warranty yet, unless it is void for some other reason. If I were buying a T763 I would try make sure it was not old stock.

Unregistered guest
John A,

Thanks a lot for your input. I agree about earlier models. I did confirm with Lenbrook that it will be the newer stock on whichever model I choose. So for the most part, my issues with the noise isn't really concerning me to much compared to other quality issues.

I guess at this point, what I'm really looking for now is just to confirm if I should pay an extra $225.00 for the 773. Is it all really worth it to actually have full 7.1 speaker inputs and an extra 10 watts of power. That's what I'm really looking at as far as the major difference between the 763 and the 773. I'm sure there are other differences I'm unaware of, but those seem to be the one's that concern me. I have to make a decision by Monday and I'm still not sure which model to go for.

Any opinions would be great.

Thanks to everyone who gets involved in these threads, it really helps to educate those of us who are a little lost.

Silver Member

Post Number: 336
Jason,

I have no personal experience of the 763 or 773. All I can do is what you can do, which is read the specs. You will get into questions like how many channels do you really want, and how big is your room. You can download the data sheets from the NAD website (they are under "Support"). I believe, for 6.1 or less channels, in normal rooms (not public halls), with excellent speakers (like yours), you will never tell the difference in sound. But that is in theory, and someone else may know differently.

Any practical advice for Jason?

Unregistered guest
That's good advise. I have read the data sheets on both and feel like what I mentioned is really the only difference that seems to effect my decisions at this point. Some of the extra bells and whistles don't really mean that much to me. If you all feel 10 watts per channel and the difference of # of surrounds makes that big of a difference for future development, I would love to hear it from anyone.

thanks again

Username: Vulture99

Post Number: 10
So do any of you know what constitutes "older stock" vs. "newer stock?" It would be great if we could identify by serial number or manufacturing date which units have the upgraded power supply capacitor. I recently purchased a T763 from Saturday Audio and would like to know if it has the newer capacitor. I suspect Saturday Audio moves a lot of those units, so it's probably newer stock, but it would still be nice to know.

Jason - the T773's dimensions are different than the T763. I believe the 773 is taller. Just something to think about if you're trying to fit it in a restricted space.

Username: Lexus0829

Post Number: 6
Hi guys,

I just bought a T763, and I loved it. By the way, i need anopinion on what DVD players to use, I'm thinking of the T562, or the 572. You guys suggest using the same dvdplayer? or should I go with pioneer or denon, or is the bravo D1 a better buy? let me know , thanks for your inputs..

Unregistered guest
Mike- yes, thankfully I do have just enough space for the 773 with still enough room for some air to circulate. Thanks for looking out for me.

Alex P- I currently have a Pioneer Elite DVD 45-A hooked up to my NAD T761 using the 5.1 analog hook-ups and personally think it sounds amazing. You can find them for a pretty reasonable price either on sale or on the web. Another benefit, is that it's upgradeable. I paid to have the audio portion to be upgraded and reconfigure to match the Elite 47-A by my local audio shop. I paid $375.00 for the DVD player and then I paid another $100.00 for the upgrade. Now I have a dvd player that's every bit as good as the audio portion of the Hi-end Pioneer Elite dvd 47-A which retails for a lot more money. It's a great inexpensive short cut for a hi-end DVD player.

Silver Member

Post Number: 337
Mike:- Sorry I don't know when the capacitor was changed. There was a thread on hum with DD and DTS but not with stereo that had this info.

Alex:- I have a T532 DVD-player which is excellent. I am considering a T533 for the additions of DVD-Audio and component video. It is the first NAD DVD-player with DVD-A.
Whether there will be a T563 and 573 I do not know. At the moment, the Cambridge Azur 540D also looks tempting. Pioneer and Denon have players with both DVD-A and SACD.

Jason:- If money really is no object, consider separates, too, such as the T973 with the T163. There may not be a big difference in space compared with the T773.

Unregistered guest
John A

I would love to do the separates, but my space is not big enough and when I said money isn't the issue, I purely meant between the T773 and the T763. I wish... Yeah, I think I'm probably going to do the T763. It just seems like it will do fine with my room size and my current system. Unless someone can come up with a good argument to go to T773.

Thanks...

Bronze Member
Username: Hab

Post Number: 12
John A.

Are you sure that the NAD hum problem is a power supply capicator? I have gone through a 752 & 753 in the last 2 weeks & the NAD dealer here, despite doing his utmost to solve the problem, has not been able to. I have E-Mailed him some threads from here & he is looking them over & talking to people in Toronto about this. I plan to E-Mail your comments to him if you don't mind. If the problem is fixable then we will both be happy. I want to keep this great sounding receiver more than anything but no matter what I do I keep getting the noise when my sub cable is connected. It comes from my rear & centre speakers & has been duplicated in their store. And what do you mean by local environment?

Robert Anderson
Unregistered guest
Hey Paul,
Did you play hockey in owen sound. Anyways! Give whitby audio a call. In whitby Ontario Canada. They are good people to deal with.

Bronze Member
Username: W9cw

Post Number: 12
First of all, let me state that I've been a NAD supporter, and customer, for 24 years. With the exception of some old (when it was "really" good) Sony separates, and receivers (from the '60s and early '70s), I've owned NAD-only since 1980. However, when it came to a recent acquisition of an A/V receiver (for the first time), I did not buy NAD. This decision was based on the respected opinions of long-term contributers on this site, as well as my local, and former, NAD dealer.

I've done business with this dealer since 1976, and trust the owner explicitly. When he stated that he had experienced serious reliability issues and DOA issues with NAD A/V receivers I listened. Evidently, he had enough serious issues, and enough disgruntled long-term customers, that he dropped NAD from his product line-up.

I'm more of a basic "2-channel" user than a "home- theater" user. Thus, I came to a compromise. I redesigned the layout of my components around the TV monitor - everything in the five shelves to the left of the monitor are dedicated to 2-channel use with NAD separates. The five shelves to the right of the monitor are dedicated to home-theater use with a new Yamaha RX-V1400. I just switch cables at the front left and right speakers when I want to change sources. Certainly, the Yamaha doesn't have the "body" or "guts" of NAD, but is perfectly fine in home-theater operation. Its decoders work flawlessly, no noise or hum, seemless layer and mode changes, more I/O's than I currently need, and excellent reliability. Would I want the RX-V1400 as my "do everything" receiver - absolutely not! I'm too accustomed to the NAD sound. But, performance-wise, the Yamaha is an excellent choice for dedicated home-theater use - in my case 7.1 operation.

As most of you know, ecoustics.com seems to be Pro-NAD in its postings. This is fine, as I've always been a customer, and supporter, of NAD products. That being said, however, how many posts do you see here on this board with problems with NAD T-series receivers? I think even I (who dearly loves NAD) have to realize that there appears to be a emperical reliability issue with NAD. It's most probably not the design, but most likely attributed to NAD's contract manufacturing facilities. I wish NAD "owned" its manufacuring plants.

I hope these issues can be resolved. When they do, I will be the first one in line to trade-off my RX-V1400!

Silver Member

Post Number: 340
Paul,

The chief thread where I picked up my conclusion about the early T7x3 models is this one:-

NAD T753 audio hum with DD, but not DTS, EXT7.1, or 2ch Stereo

There, "Anonymous" posted in February 17 as follows. To quote NAD, "We have been able to duplicate in the Lab the elevated noise levels on only a few of the T753 samples. This condition seems to be a variable based on the vagaries of the Cirrus Logic Processor and an external causative effect from radiated power supply contamination and other environmental contributors. We Believe, this issue will only affect a small minority of the T753's but, as a preventative measure, NAD has upgraded in production all current T 753's to include a power supply cap that in essence further isolates the processing board from the power supply."

I recommend having a look at the whole thread.

Also see:-

NAD 753 / 763

...where I quoted that before, on March 09 (see additional comments there).

By all means quote me to NAD. There are people in NAD reading this forum, for sure, but no-one can be reprimanded for not reading eveything here, that would be impossible!

By "local enviroment" I mean "radiated power supply contamination and other environmental contributors" - in my case I have an IKEA floor light with a foot-switch dimmer and I know for a fact it chucks out a huge 50 Hz AC electromagnetic signal. This is picked up nicely by a sub-woofer cable. When I had hum (I have fixed it now) I could turn it on by adjusting the floor dimmer switch on that lamp.

Don:-

I am with you all the way. I would go further, though, and maintain that high-quality stereo should be the basis of whatever else you add in order to get multichannel surround sound. Speakers are still speakers; phasing is still phasing. My surrounds form a coherent stereo image behind the listener. Other people like "ambient" sound. I like to hear where sounds are coming from; that is a major part of the pleasure. My former, respected dealer expressed a preference for NAD when I bought my first CD player, I think in 1988. At that time NAD was an unknown to me, and I bought a Marantz. My first NAD unit was a stereo pre-amp, in 1993. It is still in daily use and is now also my way of getting a phono input to my T760 A/V receiver. I made the decision to get that, based partly on the good service I got from the pre-amp. My T760 receiver is also an excellent stereo integrated amp. I cannot fault the sound. I had a hum problem that turned out to be a component failure, which I was able to fix myself with advice from my NAD regional distributor's tech department, who also sold me the service manual at nominal cost. This is how "audiophile" hi-fi used to be. It is a delight to me that a multinational can maintain that level of individual customer attention today. I have had several Sony items "repaired" by registered service agents at some cost, and the things have failed again within weeks. My current, local NAD dealer was really not much help with the hum. They didn't seem to know much, and the thing was out of warranty, anyway, so their main goal was to sell me a new receiver. Not so NAD, who were willing to go some considerable way to help That is my testimonial!

I also think there is nothing wrong with NAD manufacturing: it is the design (I think from the regional distributor, that design is still mostly in London, UK) that has these teething problems built in. There was a big issue last year with the DSP on early T752 models. I heard from the tech that it was a result of outsourcing the software, and NAD took it back in-house, as a result. Also fixed it for any owner who experienced the problem.

The moral is, always complain if you are not satisfied with the product. Some manufacturers respond, others just want to sell you something new. I know which I would choose. Dealers have the extra option of trying to sell you something different. It is always good to have a long-term dealer you can get to know.

Silver Member

Post Number: 341
Here is another NAD-hum-related thread: My T 773 has turned on me. The latest post (March) is from a guy in a dealer, and it is not just advertising. Any dealer who reads all this stuff is a real professional. I recommend that post to anyone who does not understand the extraordinary brand loyalty NAD seems to generate!

Bronze Member
Username: Buckeyeshine

Post Number: 50
Jason,
I went though the same question as you several weeks ago. I currently own a T773 which I bought after testing a T763 in my home. I was sold by the T763. I already had 7 speakers conducive to a 7.1 system but in reality, with virtually no 7.1 media out there that certainly wouldn't be what drove me to a 7.1 -vs- 6.1 because you can paralell wire the extra speakers on the T763 to the 6th channel (which I did in my test). This isn't discrete 7 channels but again, right now I don't think anything is.

The extra bucks for the T773 weren't enough to push me over the edge so I figured I wouldn't be doing myself any injustice by stepping up for a little extra power too. I have a pretty large HT room, about 27' x 16', so I figured the extra power wouldn't hurt but honestly, if budget WAS a factor the T763 would have been just fine too. I was most impressed in my test drive of it.

At the time my dealer also explained to me some of the technical differences in the 773 power supply too. I think there's like 12lbs. difference between the two models and most of it's probably the power supply.

The combination of all of it plus again (like you) the budget wasn't an issue for me pushed me up to the 773.

Now if you have a 10' x 12' room and don't see yourself moving for awhile that might be another situation. Whatever you decide I am confident you won't be disappointed. It's a good dilemma to have really.

John A. - I also read the latest entries in this thread. It's good to hear some professionals express their opinions with all of the bad press NAD seems to be getting here. My dealer has had expressed nothing but the same to me also.

Silver Member

Post Number: 348
JDG,

Thanks! Comment much appreciated.

Unregistered guest
Thanks to all for comments and opinions. I've decided to go with the 763. My room is not that big and when and if I move to a larger space, I will probably go with separates anyway. By then the whole 7.1 channel thing will have either taken off or died a slow death. Once I receive the 763 and use it for a couple of weeks I will post some opinions on my experience. Hopefully they will be nothing but positive.

Thank to John A. and JDG for your insightful comments

Silver Member

Post Number: 353
Good luck, Jason. Yes, please keep us posted!

Username: Bora

Post Number: 1
Hi guys. Could somebody please advise me which AV reciever will match my mission 783 floor standing speakers and same surround speakers. I want to use it mainly for music and occassionally for movies. I am thinking to chose between NAD and Marantz, and Yamaha.

Silver Member

Post Number: 378
Great speakers, Bruno. Not many people have such quality full-range speakers all round. With neutral speakers you probably want a neutral amplifier/receiver. The NAD T753, 763 and 773 would all deliver within the specified power (50 - 200 W) and work well, I am sure. You speakers are 6 Ohms: no problem with NAD or Marantz. They are also rated at 90 dB, which is not low sensitivity, and means you do not have to get a top-powered amp to get clear sound at high volumes. If, however, you have a huge listening room you could consider the T773 (7 x 110 W) or even the combination T163 pre-amp/T973 power amp (7 x 125 W).

Username: Bora

Post Number: 2
Thanks John much appresiated.

Silver Member

Post Number: 380
You're welcome. Make allowances for my NAD bias!

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 308
I also have PSB Stratus Gold i's, but I play them with Aragon separates. If price is no object and you want an NAD, get the T773. If price is of some importance, get the T763.

Too bad that your upgrader didn't add the i-link while he was at it. Then you would have the 47AVi and have the option of buying either the PE 55TXi, 49TXi, or 59TXi. I have the 49TXi in my upstairs system and it works like a charm with the 47AVi--as it recognizes every disc you put in and adjusts itself accordingly and communicates through the i-link a lot of audio information that makes listening to both music and movies an enjoyable experience.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us