Please help with digital audio signal from DVD

AlexC
Unregistered guest
Hi guys.

Can someone please help me out? I have a pretty basic DVD player (only Coaxial audio out, no Optical) and a 4 year old Denon receiver. I just bought a set of DefTech speakers and I'm trying to set up my system. The problem that I have is that when I try to send the audio signal from DVD to receiver via a coaxial connection I don't get the sound to come out. If I use a standard two wire (red & white) connection then sound works.

I've configure the receiver to associate the coaxial connection with the DVD player and I also configured the DVD player to output Dolby Digital audio. But all to no avail. What else can I do???

Thank you...

Gvenk
Unregistered guest
It is very difficult to debug this via the message board, you will need someone sitting with you. The settings for every component is different and not using the right settings can cause this. First thing you should do is RTFM! Not because you may be doing something stupid but often there are idiosyncracies in the unit that is not obvious and the manual is the only way to figure this out. For example, I was connecting a NAD L53 receiver to a optical out from a HDTV and there was no sound coming out until I read the manual more carefully again and found that the optical in for the receiver was hardwired to the VCR source selection only! Sometimes there is no logic to these things.

The next thing to try would be to try a second cable or use the same in another setup to ensure there is no problem with the cable itself.

Other than these common sense things it is difficult to say what could be wrong. If you post the model numbers then perhaps people who are familiar with those models can offer more concrete solutions.

AlexC
Unregistered guest
Thanks Gvenk.

Unfortunately I've already read most of the manual :-(

My receiver is Denon 2802. It's coaxial in has to be specifically assigned to a source and I've done that. So it really seems like once i switch the source to DVD the receive should know how to get the sound. I've also checked the cable I'm using. There's no problem with the cable...

Does anyone else have any ideas at all?

Gvenk
Unregistered guest
One more common sense thing.. have you checked if the DVD player has a set up menu that requires the digital output to be enabled or switched from analog out?

The next step, if possible, is to try and use another unit with a coax out (may be you can borrow a friend's unit or you can take the receive somewhere where it can be hooked up) to the receiver and see if the problem can be duplicated. If the problem continues then the issue is with the receiver and not the DVD player, opposite if otherwise. That will narrow down the problem to one or the other component.

Using process of elimination...

The easiest is if someone had the same problem and posts their solution... but until then....

AlexC
Unregistered guest
Gvenk, thank you again.

Yes, the DVD player does have that setting and I already tried...

I have already investigated your suggestion and will probably end up doing that. The store where I bought the speakers offered to help me. So I will probably go there in the next day or two with my DVD player and hopefully they'll be able to figure out what needs to be done.

Before then I'm hoping that somebody will figure it out here :-)

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 130
This may sound stupid, but was this combo working before you got these speakers? My question is can you get analog sound from normal RCA connections for example? Is there any sound coming from the speaker (tuner, video etc.)?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 131
skip that I just read your comments there

Bronze Member
Username: Alphabet

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 27
I am not familiar with the Denon, but does it automatically detect if the input is anologue, coax or optical? Maybe you have to set the input to auto or else try setting it to Coax.

I had a similiar problem when I replaced my Yamaha receiver(which had auto detect) with a Cambridge Audio 540R(where you have to set the input)

I am not refering to assigning a port to a specific input, but rather specifying which input is to be used as source.

AlexC
Unregistered guest
Guys, thank you all. I finally fixed it.

Abe hit it on the head. Despite the fact that I specifically told the receiver that the DVD should be associated with the Coax connection the unit wouldn't itself switch the input. So when I set it to detect automatically it realized that the sound was Dolby Digital and began to play. So I'm all set now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us