Dolby Digital cuts in and out

Username: Odj

Post Number: 1
Can someone help me out. I have had my set up for about one year now and I have constantly had problems on regular Dolby Digital 5.1 dvds. I have a Yamaha 3650 reciever and the sound cuts out ( gets loud then soft) on those sound type movies. DTS sounds awesome but Dolby doesn't. Can someone please help me.

Thanks

ODJ

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 809
Does this model automatically select Dolby or DTS or do you have to set it up for one or the other?

Post Number: 2
Yes it automatically sets it up on its own. My DVD player is set correctly also, I believe. I have it set on bitrate.

Silver Member

Post Number: 812
Verify your set up on both the DVD player and receiver. Yamahas are notorius in the complexity of setup. Make certain that you don't have to manually select Dolby Digital on the receiver. Try switching DVD player to PCM. See what happens. Use a DVD that contains only a Dolby Digital soundtrack while trouble shooting.

Post Number: 3
When I switch the DVD player to PCM it automatically turns the audio into ProLogic II and the sound diminishes quite a bit.

Post Number: 4
Oops I mean Prologic I

Silver Member

Post Number: 814
Sounds like a decoder problem. Is the unit still under warranty? Why did you wait a year before doing something?

Post Number: 5
I have a 4 year warranty on it, so it is not a problem. It happens to my other friends with different recievers also. Could it be the DVD or does Dolby Digital have alot weaker signal than DTS? I have also noticed that it cuts in and out in the same places of the movie everytime. Somebody also told me that I need a power regulator for my whole system. Meaning that my power in my house is not clean power and the regulator cleans it for me and gives me better juice. I don't know.

Post Number: 6
The cut outs do not happen on THX movies like the Star Wars saga. I just tested it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 821
If it "cuts in and out in the same places of the movie everytime" sounds like a defective DVD. There maybe a slight variation in volume between Dolby Digital and DTS, depending on the movie sound track mix. You should not need a power regulator under normal conditions if you live in the continental US. There may be exceptions.

Post Number: 8
Why does does it happen on non THX DVDs? Is the signal better?

Silver Member

Post Number: 824
If it happens on all DVDs other than the THX ones, I suspect a decoder problem. THX discs are remastered to enhance audio and video. But you problem is a bit unusual.

Post Number: 9
So I should check the DVD player as well as the reciever. I believe the DVD player decodes also right??

Silver Member

Post Number: 828
Correctomundo. But if you are running digital out, DVD basically extracts and routes signal for receiver to decode.

Bronze Member
Username: Alphabet

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 28
Have you tried setting the DVD player output to "raw"?

Post Number: 10
I think I only have two settings on it. PCM and bitrate.

Bronze Member
Username: Canuckinapickle

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 90
I had a similar problem with my system. I discovered it was a problem at the DVD player end -- for what it's worth. I upgraded my DVD player and all has been fine since.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
How do I test the dvd player? How do I test the reciever?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us