Help with sound setup...

Username: Pookieguy

Post Number: 8
Hello,
I have an 05 Samsung DLP and just purchased the new Samsung HDMI DVD Player. I have it hooked up directly via HDMI cable to the TV.

I've been using the integrated speakers from the DLP which suit me just fine. However, if I decide to upgrade the sound and purchase a speaker system, I'm wondering what exactly would I need?

If a receiver is needed, does it have to be HDMI? If not, how is it going to be connected?

Thanks,

--
mike

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 128
Mike a reciever with an HDMI will help with as a pass through so you can control all your video and audio needs though one center and, presumabley one remote control. A receiver does not have to be an HDMI to work with the DVD player, your DVD's optical digital connection will give you just as good a connection.

Look at the other discussion thread just below here about HDMI reciever. I explained a lot there, but basically since you already have the other pieces necessary, then an reciever with an HDMI connection will be sweet, because then you can basically setup your TV as a dumb terminal and pass all your audio and video signals through the amp and control them from there. Even though you say you are happy with the Samsung DLP, I'm sure you will be a lot happier with a good receiver with surround sound.

Username: Pookieguy

Post Number: 9
Stof,

Thanks a bunch.
A receiver with HDMI support sounds mighty expensive though. lol

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

--
Mike

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1252
Mike, Having a Receiver with HDMI is a plus, but not the 'end all'. Within a few years, I suspect that most mid/high priced receivers will have this connection, but not yet. I wish mine had one:-(

If you upgrade to HDTV, you'll want to use the HDMI for your HD signal, and use components for DVD.

If you find a receiver with multiple HDMI inputs, whoa...then you'll be set, because then you can connect both of them to the TV through your receiver. Unfortunately, most TVs/receivers have only one HDMI/DVI input, but that will soon change.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 129
Yes they are expensive, but it really depends on your budget and your taste in music. There are some lower end models from JVC which wouldn't be my tast, and some higher end models from Yamaha, and Denon and Marantz that have HDMI. There doesn't seem to be too many in the $600 - $1200 range.

The way HDMI is going, I'll bet there will be many more selection in the market by the end of the year.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us