Need receiver recommendation to match Speakercraft and SVS Sub

Username: Mrun123

Post Number: 1
I just purchased Speakercraft AIM8 One in-ceiling speakers and an SVS PB10-ISD sub for 5.1 surround in my family room. My old Onkyo TX-SV727 receiver seems to have just crapped out after I added some Klipsch remote speakers on my patio (which is another story). If anyone could recommend a new receiver to compliment my speakers that will offer multi-room sound and provides high price/performance I would appreciate it. I would like to spend no more than $1000 if I can get away with it. Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 101
Mike you may want to look into refurbished Denon 2805, or 3805, Marantz SR7400, SR8400 or NADT753 lines. That's a good sub. I don't know much about the Speakercraft speakers.

Post Number: 2
Thanks. Any place (online, in particular) where I could find any of the makes/models you mentioned?

I came across hifitrader.com which seems to be a decent outfit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
Depends on which unit you want to go with. There is http://www.accessories4less.com which is actually an authorized Marantz dealer and has decent prices on Marantz. You missed some killer deals on Marantz and Denon on Ubid.com recently, but you may want to check there every so often. Check some of the other discussions on this forum about NAD dealers and where people buy it from.

I liked looking at Hifitrader.com. They are actually pretty honest about the manufacturers warranty and hopefully will stand up to what they are offering.

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
Mike you may want to look at UBid.com. This morning they posted 50 new Marantz SR8400 units for $649 (no bid auction) and some refurbished Denon 3805 for $779. UBid is an authorized Marantz dealer. Recently a whole bunch us on this forum jumped on a for bid auction on these units and ended up with a brand new unit for an average prices of about $460. (see an earlier thread about SR4800 https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?1/134087
) We are all tickled pink by its awesome sound and power. So you may want to jump in on this.

Post Number: 4
Stof,

I appreciate it. However, just before I saw your post I pulled the trigger on a new Denon 2805. I read the thread regarding authorized/non-authorized dealers and decided to go "authorized". It will cost me a couple hundred extra, but all of this A/V receiver research is wearing me out. On the other hand, if I had gotten your post before I bought the Denon, I definitely would have gone with the Marantz. That is a sweet deal.

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
Yeah, it just showed up this afternoon even after I posted my morning comment. I know what it feels to not wanna wait, however with age and experience I have found that sometimes looking for something can be even better than actually having it. From the time I decided to replace my 14 year old Rotel and Boston Acoustic speakers to when I got it done, it took me 6 months. The Ubid special on the SR8400 made me finally pull the trigger on everything.

You have a great amp there. If I hadn't got this deal then I was ready to go with a 2805. So no worries.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us