On Jimmy Rigging a Center Channel . . .

OpenupsayAH
Unregistered guest
Thanks in advance to anyone who replies . . . This will be a "cringer" for all those lucky enough to have the dough to spend on proper equipment . . .

I currently have a Bose Wave radio . . . yeah yeah, I know it's an overblown clock radio blah blah . . . It was a gift so don't lecture me on "go sell it on ebay . . ." Truth is, it actually sounds pretty good for mids/highs, so I thought perhaps I could Jimmy rig it to play the center channel audio from my recevier (Old Onkyo 494) there are RCA type inputs on the little Bose thing, but I can't find any real thing labeled "center channel output" on my receiver? Could this feat even be done on a "real" receiver (aka, a new one, like H/K AVR 230/235, for instance)

And right now, I'm not real concerned about sound quality (I'll decide that for myself when I hear it [hopefully]) I'm (right now) concerned that I might blow something or cause serious damage to either my amp or the Bose system . . .

Thanks again for reading through!
AH

Silver Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 113
Honestly, just get a cheapo speaker to use for a center. you can go to best buy and get a 20 dollar sony speaker to use as a temporary center channel. I don't know why you don't just use the powered amp for the center channel from your onkyo...is it blown, or are you just trying to be creative?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3951

Yes, phantom center channels have been done since the 1930's and made popular by Paul Klispch in the 1950's. The Pro Logic surround circuit is essentially a digital version of the David Hafler passive Quadadapter system.

The correct connection for a phantom center will vary depending on the equipment utilized. Most systems can be rigged from a simple connection from the + of both channels to the + and - posts of the center speaker. The problem with any jerry rigged system is the level match between the three speakers. Typically an L-pad will need to be inserted to adjust levels. Though they will probably tell you to purchase their more expensive unit, I would call Bose and ask if they can assist you.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 677
Right, sounds to me like you'd spend more on a new receiver with a center pre-out than you would on a center speaker!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3953

OpenupsayAH - It appears you have caught me out. Your appellation might well be "bendoverandsayoh!". Of course, you know the only reason to have a center channel of any sort is to compensate for the wide spacing of the left and right front speakers. While the Wave Radio is dispersionally challenged, the two speakers are, to my knowledge, only about 12" apart. Any center channel speaker would therefore take up most of the space between the two outside drivers. You are either fooling us or you are designing a home theater for your gerbil! You are either a very gracious pet owner or a dickens of a forum poster!

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 681
Jan,

Read the post again. He wants to use the wave radio as a center speaker. He doesn't want a center speaker for his wave radio.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1065
Honestly.....

You can buy just about any $200 center channel speaker and it will be mountains better than using your 'clock radio' for that purpose.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3957

So sorry. I saw Bose and my eyes crossed. No, you can't do what you're asking. Spend a few dollars for a center channel.

AH
Unregistered guest
>Read the post again. He wants to use the wave radio as a center speaker. He doesn't want a center speaker for his wave radio.

"Exactly"

>You can buy just about any $200 center channel speaker and it will be mountains better than using your 'clock radio' for that purpose.

'cept I'd be out ANOTHER $200 that I don't have . . .

> No, you can't do what you're asking.

"Boogers"

Darn, well I was hoping . . . so, the only way is to have a center pre-out . . . or . . . or, I have two connections from the DVD player, run the digital coax to my receiver and the audio R/L to the Bose . . . there we go, that's what I'll do . . .

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 684
The center channel content is not the same as L+R unless there are no L+R speakers. In movies, you'll usually get dialog from the center speaker and music score from L+R. You won't be getting that pumping L+R into your radio.

rats!
Unregistered guest
'cept I have no way of having an actual center channel (other than spending money I don't have) . . . So, using the equipment that I have, this will suffice until I get more money for a new receiver with center pre-out . . . New receiver is next on my list, then new speakers (fronts first, then sub (if the fronts aren't that big) then surrounds and finally a new center) to follow . . . of course, at the current rate, that'll be 2010 before I get enough money . . .

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 687
Fine, just so you know...

You may not be improving your overall sound though.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 162
A center channel is essential for a home theater speaker system as it will provide nearly all of the spoken dialog and much of the on screen effects. It is the "workhorse" of the system,so don't skimp on it and match it with your front left and right speakers.

AH
Unregistered guest
what? the front L/R can't provide dialogue? I've personally heard MUCH worse speakers than the little Bose wave radio, it's pretty crystal clear for mids and highs, which is EXACTLY what you'd wnat from a cetner channel. Naturally it lacks in the Bass department, but again, I'll let my other speakers handle that and let the Bose handle mids/highs . . . it seems like a good idea to me . . .

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 169
Yes of course they can but that's not the idea.The center channel is used to anchor the dialog to the screen.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us