4 OHM car woofers on a home reciver....can it be done and how

Username: Confusedone

Post Number: 1
i have 2 12" car woofers at 4 ohms. i would like to hook them up to a home reciver but i want the bass to sound as deep and as loud as it would in a car. I have them hooked up now but it sounds like crap plus i heard its bad for the reciver but i want to do it. Any way i can do it ?

Username: Ancorp

Vaughan (Near Toronto), Ontario Canada

Post Number: 5
Well the only way I see it can be bad for the receiver is if it cant handle 4 ohms properly without overheating. Check the rating on it on the back.

Cheers,
Alex

Silver Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 104
get a seperate home amplifier and use the subwoofer pre-out from your receiver to power the subs. you'll have to build a box of course to fit the specified thiele-small parameters... what subs do you have and what receiver do you have? I can probably find something that will work quite well for you...

Post Number: 2
i have a pioneer VSX-D814, just bought it 2 weeks ago. now heres the thing i have a house amp, lol its a 2000 watt peavey but i need that much to power my woofs, but anyway, i hooked up the amp and i when i power it on it powers up and what not, powers the woofs pretty well to, but when i turn the reciver up to a certain volume, my reiciver says overload and turns off, i dont CRANK it but when it gets to about 60 DB....overload. the amp hooks up weird, you can either run your front speaker wires to the inputs on the back of the amp or it hooks up threw 1/4 mono jacks ya kno the big long headphone jacks, now i tried it wit the 1/4 mono jacks, i converted the 1/4 jacks to RCA by buying a few connectors from radioshack, now there RCA's, i run the subwoofer pre-outs from the back of my reciver to thge back of the amp and i get no sound. i seriously need some help if anyone wants to talk out of the message board so i can show them pictures of what i ahve going on here, heres my AOL screename WuB1UnTs please i need some help :/

Post Number: 4
nevermind i found the problem out and lets just say i over reacted and didnt stop and think to check that everything was right.....to make a long story short i never had the subwoof-out turned on on my reciver. reason for overload i had wires touching...thought theyd be fine but guess they got mixed up somewhere along the way

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
I'm glad you got if figured out. If 2000 watts is too much, you can adjust every channel's level to fit your needs. Just turn the subwoofer level down a few dB.

Username: Ricanplaya

Miami, Fl Us

Post Number: 2
i hav the same problem as william garrow, can some one plez help. savir04@yahoo.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
Dave, start a new post and tell me what subs, and what receiver you are using. I'll do my best to find something for ya.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdrummer

Post Number: 456
May I add that car subs, don't have the SQ of a good home audio sub!

Username: Ricanplaya

Miami, Fl Us

Post Number: 4
i have a sony htddw740 5.1 soround system. it came with an 50 wat 6ohm 8 inch powered sub. i got a hold of two 12". an EARTH QUAKE db12 whitch is 4 ohms and i think 220 watts rms, and a legacy 4ohms and 500 watts. i took of the amp of the stok 8 inch sub and connected it to the two tleves it worked fine even at high volumes. one day the amp stoped working, i opened it and the chip was fried. so i got a sony rx66 mini hifi stereo component. 60 watts each channel.my 5.1 receiver has only one sub line out. so i got a spliter and connected the sub out to the left and right inputs on the mini hifi component. the hifi component has enought power to drive the two twelves. but at high volumes it short circuits. it goes in to prtection mode. all my connections are clean and everything. but hmmmm i took out both twelves and connected them outside the box. i could put it as loud as i want and the stereo wont short circuit. but then wen i put them in the box they start shorting. and also wen i put them outside the box, i put it real loud. and den put my hand on both subs to try and stop them from vibrating and the stereo started shorting. and wen i let go they just worked normally.also i put both subs in the box and u know how theirs two small hole in the back for the connection jacks.well i took of the connection jacks and put it real loud, alot of air came out throught the holes and the hifi stereo didnt short, but it doesnt reproduce that much bass in the low 20 to 35 frequencys. i tryde running the two subs from my 5.1 reciever but it doesnt dump dat hard. wat should i do?? savir04@yahoo.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
First off, learn how to spell...

Now, to your problem.

Ditch that crap-o legacy sub, you'd get better performance by using it as a doorstop than a speaker!

Then build a box for the Earthquake, according to the T-S parameters...or just go to Best Buy and buy an enclosure...your choice!

Then connect the subwoofer out from your receiver to this:

www.outlawaudio.com/products/200.html

It will output 300 clean watts at 4 ohms and should provide a VERY nice sound when coupled with your sub.

Let me know if you have more probs.

virus5877@hotmail.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us