Archive through May 18, 2005

Mike Q
Unregistered guest
So, I just won this thing on UBID.

Not sure if I should have or not. I didn't really want to spend more than 400 bucks but I ended up spending 450...you know you just kinda get caught up in the bidding process....

So, tell me the good, bad and ugly on this unit...

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 227
$450 for an 8400??? Holy smokes, that's HIGHWAY ROBBERY!

On *your part*, that is.

Congrats! I'm green with envy, since I paid about that much for an SR5400. Pssssst, wanna trade?

That's the second highest model in their lineup, what could there possibly be *NOT* to like?

Mike Q
Unregistered guest
wow...I feel better!

Bronze Member
Username: Justme123

Post Number: 21
LOL the Ebay'ers BROKE THE SERVER!
Auction end was 4:30 PST, at that time there were around 600 bids for 339 items. An hour and a half of overtime brought the bid count up to 2200!! Winning bids were at 437 to 571 when their software shot craps. Got mine for 460 Woo Hoo!
There were groups of Ebay'ers trying to snap up lots of 15, 20, 28 units and I'm sure if hte site didn't crap out all the units would have gone for well over 500. LUCKED OUT!

Anonymous

Frontrunner for 'Bargain of the Year' title. Congrats guys!

Silver Member

Post Number: 232
hey, even $571 for the 8400 is a freakin' STEAL!

Guys, this receiver normally retails around $1300.

In short, you basically got a Lexus for the price of a Hyundai.

Bronze Member
Username: Jimvm

Gonzales, Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 35
I went to the ubid website to have a look-see. The ad was still displayed (though the auction was closed). Near the bottom the ad said that the SR8400's came with a three year factory warranty. I was skeptical because Marantz is very clear about not getting a warranty when purchasing from an unauthorized dealer and I couldn't imagine that ubid would be an authorized dealer. I contacted Marantz in Itasca, IL and they confirmed that ubid was indeed authorized to auction those 339 units and they all carry a factory warranty.

So, Mike, you and 338 others done good -- real good!

Mike Q
Unregistered guest
Thanks again guys...always get nervous on those type of things...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Well, it's 39.99 set price for shipping. Should I feel taken advantage of? ROFLMAO!

Mike Q
Unregistered guest
It is always good to be the source of good entertainment.

Anyone know where I can get some big deal on speakers.

Mike Q
Unregistered guest
It is always good to be the source of good entertainment.

Anyone know where I can get some big deal on speakers.????

Silver Member

Post Number: 238
Just Me,

$40 for shipping actually sounds about right, I paid a little over $30 to ship back an Onkyo 601 to jandr, so the Marantz 8400 probably outweighs that one by at least 10lbs or so.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Edster;

In the words of the imortal Foghorn Leghorn.... just a joke son....it was just a joke LOL.

Silver Member

Post Number: 244
JM,

well ya sure got me theres! who's Foghorn anyways?

Bronze Member
Username: Jimvm

Gonzales, Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 37
Edster - you must be a youngster. Foghorn Leghorn is an old Looney Tune cartoon character. Among other things, he was known for the practical jokes he played on other characters.

From the Foghorn Leghorn Fan Club website:

"First appearing in 1946 in "Walky Talky Hawky," an Academy Award nominated animation film directed by Robert McKimson from a story by Warren Foster, Foghorn Leghorn was intended to be a supporting character in a Henery Hawk cartoon. But this southern gentleman quickly upstaged the more diminuitive fowl and launched his own career. Between 1946 to 1980, Foghorn Leghorn has appeared in 30 animated short films. (See: Filmography)

Foghorn Leghorn's unofficial theme song is "Camptown Races" and this good old boy completely personifies its riverboat style. From his high-stepping strut to his puffed out chest, this jaunty Dixie chicken has all of the charm of a southern politician at a church picnic. While ruling this roost with complete assurance, Foghorn Leghorn is often a reluctant leading man to henhouse spinster Miss Prissy."

Silver Member

Post Number: 247
oh ok, I think I know---that silly big-talking rooster? Man, that was really a long time ago. Must've been in the 70s that I saw him.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
ROFLMAO! Insert GIGGLE Here ROFLMAO!

Username: Chitown

Post Number: 4
I wouldn't be quite sure those were ebayer's trying to buy up those bulk units. I think these are inside jobers brought in to drive up prices. consider these facts:
1) Who in their right mind could think of selling 22 units at over $550 (cost of units plus shipping) and make any profits when 339 units just went through the market?
2) These bulkers came in all in the last few hours and I watched as they put in bids (large numbers again) on another auction going on at the same time.
3) Three of the four bulkers started bidding and kept on increasing bids within one minute of each other even though they were supposedly on the other side of the country. What are the chances of that? I will never buy anything from UBID again.

Mike Q
Unregistered guest
That is interesting....

Still happy with my purchase....

Silver Member

Post Number: 249
Stof,

the shill bidding that you describe is rampant on eBay too.

Still, to walk away with a brand new 8400 with Marantz warranty for $550 is nonetheless one HELL of a nice deal!

Mike Q
Unregistered guest
My deal was 450 so that is an awesome deal..

Oh, and I got screwed on shipping LOL!

Post Number: 5
Agreed. I guess I'm just jealous. My bid (and the final budget I had set for it) came just below. The server crash saved me from going over my budget, but I was bidding and watching them up until that point.

Jeffery C
Unregistered guest
I also got one with 39.99 shipping charge. Even though this one is not THX approved, i like its warm musical nature. Like to hook it up with a new pair of speakers. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Dan Hos
Unregistered guest
I got a couple of these units for $476 at uBid... I didn't think I would win at that price, but thought it would be worth a try. I am always looking for a bargain to resell. I am strictly an eBayer with almost 3000 positive feedback, and I know there are loads of eBayers on uBid, including myself looking to resell products.

I may end up keeping one of these for myself. I had no idea it was that great of a receiver.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
It was already sitting on the doorstep when I got home Thursday evening! I haven't done anything with it but to grab the manual and read a bit. I'm waiting for the Fedex truck to drop off the new set of Axiom 50s, 150 Center, QS4 Surrounds, and 175Watt 10" Sub!

I'm beginning to get a bit goofy!(er)LOL

Anonymous

wow....

nice

floss-often
Unregistered guest
shame YOUBID didn't double box the 8400s

5-10 percent will have likely suffered abuse at the not-so-gentle hands of jealous fed-x carriers wishing they had crashed the ubid auction and won one for themselves

floss-often
Unregistered guest
shame YOUBID didn't double box the 8400s

5-10 percent will have likely suffered abuse at the not-so-gentle hands of jealous fed-x carriers wishing they had crashed the ubid auction and won one for themselves

Post Number: 6
I checked out ebay and there are 40 some units on sale, all from the Ubid I'm sure. Some of them did not even bother to change the description. They copied and pasted the exact verbiage from Ubid. The bad news for them is that another 241 units just went on sale again at Ubid.

Silver Member

Post Number: 300
> The bad news for them is that another 241 units just went on sale again at Ubid.

AAAAAAGH!!!

Must...be....strong!

Username: Caesar4831

Post Number: 1
I just put a bid in for one. Hoping to match it up with a set of Paradigm CT110 home theater setup. Local dealer sells both Marantz & Paradigm but if I can get an 8400 for less than half price!!?? Hope they won't mind.

Post Number: 7
How much for the Paradigm? I found the package online for $998. Is it a good price? Have you listened to them? Do you know how it compare with M&K K5 or K7 series?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Edster!

Put down the card, and back AWAY from the wallet!

Silver Member

Post Number: 303
I'm trying, I'm trying...please help!

Bronze Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 99
I feel your pain. That is SO tempting!

Post Number: 8
And as if that wasn't bad enough, I just saw this Onkyo NR-801 for sale at Ubid right after I put in my bid for the 8400. Pricewise I don't think it's as good a deal as the Marantz, but it is THX (select) certified and it does have an ethernet connection for hooking up to my network at home. I want this one now, but I'm affraid my bid for the 8400 will go through aarrrgh

Silver Member

Post Number: 307
That ethernet connection is a sweet feature, have to say...but I don't think THX certification really means all that much, esp. when you get up to this price range. I'd also expect the Marantz to deliver much better real world power than the Onkyo.

How much is your 8400 bid, BTW?

Post Number: 9
I'm the sucker towards the top at $430. May be I can avoid the server crash this time.

Anonymous

Ed + Chris,

Go for it! What have you got to lose? How often do deals like this come along? At them prices you can easily shift it on with little loss if any if you're not satisfied. I promise you though you'll be grinning like Chesire cats every time you use it.

Post Number: 2
Stof,
I haven't listened to the M&K. I found this press release from the website of the marketing firm for Paradigm and the 110's are MSRP'd at $799. My dealer here in town sells the series for the same price. CT70's for $499, 90's for $649.

Copy the link to new window and open as word doc.
www.castercomm.com/pr_docs/ Paradigm%20Cinema%20CT%20v.3%20Release%20-%20CES%202005.doc

Post Number: 10
Thanks Frank
I see the promo and the dealers in Chicago are close by. I will take a look (listen). The site that I found for $998 is Canadian. The price (around $700) would seem very reasonable. A full M&K system will cost $1200 for K5 series. I loved the sound though.

Does anyone have an experience with Ethernet connection to the network. On second thought the idea of having to turn on all the AV equipment plus the computer just to listen to music for a while seems silly

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 102
Anon: Finances, lack of a complete updated speaker system, and a less-than 6-month old SR5400 says I probably should pass it up. Sometimes common sense gets the best of me. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 316
I have to ditto Chris...funny coincidence, we have the exact same receiver and for about the exact same timeframe!

The only non-ditto part is the 6-month old. : )

floss-often
Unregistered guest
stof -

you made a great choice bidding on the marantz - however you might need to push up to 450 to win this time around....still very much worth it - you could always get an ethernet adaptor and still benefit from the better quality of the marantz

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I am willing to go up to $450 this time. I will have to see with about an hour to go in the bid how many shill bids come in and how fast it moves up. If it goes up too high, I might just stop. They previous buyers are selling them on e-bay for less than $450 now.

Post Number: 3
But isn't the warranty voided with the resale by a non-authorized dealer on ebay? Wouldn't want to chance that.

Never know what might happen in shipping the product twice. Once to the Ubid winner then again to the ebay winner.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Very true. I don't generally like buying from e-bay. My other problem is that I'm in Chicago and unlike most of you have to pay tax on stuff I buy from Ubid which is down the road in Naperville, another $40, ugh.

I'm wondering if they let me go and pick it up from there in case I win. Just so I don't risk the damage because they don't double box according to floss-often

patnshan
Unregistered guest
Do you think these might go for lower considering these guys seem to be having a tough time getting rid of them on e-bay for like $550? I stupidly went up to $450 already, but will still be quite happy at that price!

Pat

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
I got mine set up over the weekend, with a new set of Axioms M50ti's the 150 center channel, 150 Sub, and the Qs4 surrounds. Belive me, I have NO buyer's remorse! Clear reproduction through the Fortec DSS reciver (which is a POS audio wise).

UBID is Marantz authorized for the resale, so all warranties apply.

Happy Happy Happy Happy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Pat you never know what will happen. What is known is that the price is set. In two previous auctions that I witnessed one for 7 units were all above $500 and below $580. The second was the monster 339 units that went from $437 - $571, but then the server crashed. I think our bids of $430 and $450 may be too low, but I don't think it will go above $550.

Just me, be quite, I don't want to hear about your happy returns, until I get mine (--)

How much for the Axioms?

patnshan
Unregistered guest
Stof,
I am just taking a look everyday. It's @ like $300 with 7 days to go. Well, if it goes over $500 I will go with the Yami 757 or Pioneer 1015, I think. I don't really NEED as much receiver as the 8400, but it would be real nice:-)
Pat

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Stof;

2100 to the door, double boxed, no dings. FedEx ground was from Thurs to Mon to St Paul,MN. Fit and Finish is average to above average. I went with the standard light beech/black grill. I have been tinkering since Sat. evening and they just keep sounding better. Room size is 11/14 open on one end, seating across the 11.

Good Luck on your bidding!

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 618
Edster922, did you get in that bid? I'm like you. If my bid is succesful, I'll have to find a way to get the receiver in without my wife knowing about it. Otherwise, there will be hell to pay. Keep me posted.

Silver Member

Post Number: 459
No, I'm going to pass for the time being. Will probably end up getting a Parasound or NAD amp to enhance my sr5400, but first a decent sub is the more urgent priority...my JBL e150 is horrible!

Username: Onyxwulf

Post Number: 2
Now if money is no object here am I better off going Rotel RSX-1056 or the 8400?

I have B&W speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 623
Stof, do you think there will be a lot of last minute bidding to extend the auction and drive up the final price?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
We will see. If there is a lot, then that proves my theory (read way above) of inside jobs trying to raise the prices. Otherwise no one in their right mind would bid on 10-20 units just to sell them on ebay when there are lots of units already on sale and, who know, may be more on the way from Ubid even after this sale. Electronics are not good investments.

The bidding seems to be a little higher than last time. By this time (5 hours before the bid), the bids seem to be about $50 above what they were last time.

G. Dark
Unregistered guest
Has anybody here actually listened to the 8400? I can't even find a professional review of that receiver online.

And I can't find the 8400 for sale anyplace other than at auction sites. Why would that be?

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 542
And I can't find the 8400 for sale anyplace other than at auction sites. Why would that be?

Because it's last year's model.

G. Dark
Unregistered guest
Ah. Thank you.

That's an awesome price. I'm sitting about 50 deep in the pack.

Silver Member

Post Number: 626
Good Luck to everyone who has placed a bid on the SR 8400-whether I get one or not.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Well the official bidding time is now finished and there is very little sign of the bulk purchasers. We shall see.

Good luck guys.

I just checked Ubid and noticed that there are now 6 Marantz 8400 units on sale for $710. No bid option expiring next week. Guess they had a few left over and want to get a better price than mid-$400.

Looks like I am going to have to go up a couple bucks or drop off the winners list. Price now up to $427 after 1/2 overtime.

Good luck all.
FZ

G. Dark
Unregistered guest
This overtime business is rather strange. I'm still about $20 high, but the price is slowly crawling closer.

That tn in Amarillo is doing a good job of earning Ubid a few extra dollars.

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
Seems the publicity has created higher bids than the last auction which I missed (stopped checking ubid after finding some "special" sites that post great prices on anything and everything and after ubid stopped regularly carrying high end gear a few years ago.
They used to have nice deals on adcom gear for example.
Also bought some nice Infinity Overture 2 speakers.

I bought a nice Nakamichi integrated home theater amp with dts on ubid that I easily sold for more than I paid, even though by the time I sold it (to upgrade to a more current receiver in terms of features - DD EX, dts es, 7.1 channels etc.) I had owned it for two years and the dts decoder had stopped working.

Good luck all on the SR8400 auction!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
There are more people bidding, but fewer bulk purchasers than last time. I don't mind that. I just don't like to think that either Ubid or Marantz has an insider that is raising the prices.

G. Dark
Unregistered guest
I guess these auctions don't have a real closing time. This thing could run all night. That's a bit of a rip.

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
Just got bumped at $440 (+ $40 shipping).
Need to decide if it is worth it to ME to up my bid again.

I would have to unhook, pack and sell the Elite VSX-43TX that I like so much and then hook up the Marantz.
I will also take a small financial hit, although that is the least of my concerns.

I was looking at the Marantz due to it having more digital audio (coaxial and optical) inputs.
I also know the Marantz has some other HD-related features that the Elite may not...

Decisions, decisions.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
A lot of it has to do with em of Van Nuys, MC of Miami and MI of Omaha not giving up. Their bid kicks out lots of people who in turn come back and bid one at a time and extend the bidding.

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
Yes. That is an excellent point!
Each one of those leads to NUMEROUS bids from those who got bumped...

I upped my bid, again.
I know I likle the look of the Elite more, but this 8400 is a better receiver, especially in terms of some of the features I am looking for...

Bronze Member

I have not listened to Elite, but I have heard the SR7300 and it is very good. Although with all the combinations of reciever, speakers, subs etc that they throw at you at these high end AV stores, who knows for sure.

All I know is I have had a Rotel for over 14 years (waiting for the exhale and laugh stoppage from all you AV lovers), and I still like it, but I really do need an upgrade.

G. Dark
Unregistered guest
I'm still sitting above the line at $453. Does Final Call mean anything? I hope so.

AudioVideoGuy
Unregistered guest
<< Not laughing about the Rotel

I actually still have a 2nd receiver that is 15 1/2 years old!
Onkyo Integra TX-890.
It was the top of the line model at the time (1989).
It cost me $515 at 'Nobody Beats The Wiz' after getting a Price Match to a newspaper ad to a NYC probably semi-shady merchant since they always had incredible prices.
They wanted $795, so I "saved" $280.

I only upgraded to the Nakamichi and then Elite because I needed home theater features.

The Integra was rock solid (weighs quite a bit considering iit is only a 2 channel receiver) and put out a whopping 380 watts of dynamic power per chanlle into 2 ohms!

The Onkyo and my old Advent Legacy speakers (bought the Advent Maestro, but my mother - I lived at home at the time - made me return them for the Legacy when I mentioned I had gotten an upgraded model that was slightly taller than what I had told her I was buying. I shouldn't have opened my mouth since she wouldn't have known the difference...) have sentimental value.
She didn't like the size (they were only a few 4 inches or so taller.....!)

As I was about to post, I checked my status and noticed that the one of the who bid for all 241 units just came in.
Hmmmmmmm...........
They keep coming in (at the bottom) pushing a ton of people off the list who then bid it back up, pushing others off the list, who then bid it back up and so forth......

G. Dark
Unregistered guest
That "Hurry! Last chance to bid!" sign has been flashing on my screen for nearly four hours. That's a LONG last chance. I think maybe the Missouri attorney general's office needs to play this game a time or two, just for grins. And I just happen to know somebody down there who would really enjoy doing that.

JospehK
Unregistered guest
G. Dark,
I guess you could write down some of the initials of those bidding for all 241 units ($100,000) and have the AG's office monitor ubid and gather evidence on future auctions...

Unfortunately ands ironically, if they got in trouble and had to cease these auctions, we might actually end up paying more for them elsewhere...

G. Dark
Unregistered guest
Yeah, but it's still aggravating. Maybe it's because I'm a newbie. I've never bought from eBay, and I've only tried Ubid once before. That time, it worked really well for me. I got a pair of Wharfedale Emerald tower speakers for about $275. But I didn't follow the auction, that time. Just put in my bid and let it ride. Took half a dozen auctions to hit with my price.

Bronze Member
Username: Johnharper

Pasadena, CA

Post Number: 20
I am tracking DW also known as Wylie Coyote from Texas bid thing with Ubid. Kicks but what is a good option in lieu of a SR8400? Where I am at now is more than I wanted to spend! And we are not done yet! Have done a bit on Ebay and love to snipe but am amazed Ebay hasn't adopted Ubid's 10 minute extension -its quite addictive!

stuman
Unregistered guest
this is insane, I guess it's not over til it's over. 4 and a half hour and still overtime. Mann,
this is better be a good receiver

Bronze Member

I promise it will be over as soon as the dude from Miami gives up

G. Dark
Unregistered guest
You're about 9 places higher up the tree than I am, JH. Is this receiver worth going up a few more bucks?

Silver Member

Post Number: 474
John,

I'd guesstimate that to match the SR8400 you'd have to spend in the $800-1200 range of Pioneer Elite, Yamaha, Denon, or HK.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
There are a few people using the Bid Butler (hammer to the left of their name). This auction does not allow a bid butler, how do they do it?

Bronze Member

Pasadena, CA

Well, gee, thanks alot, Edster!. Can't you respond directly via email and ignore all the others on this site? In my estimation, we will be going til sometime tomorrow and I am too old for all of this! Seriously, thanks for the tip and I think I will raise the bar a bit, based on your comment. And to G. Dark, this thing is grossly over-priced, worth no more than $250-drop out and take that dude from Miami with you! Edsters smoking! And for you, Stof, I noted the same thing and emailed Ubid-no response yet! I'd like to know how the other bidders do this so I can go to bed. Should we all wait for these to end up on Ebay?

G. Dark
Unregistered guest
As good as you folks think the 8400 is, maybe I should rebid on 10 of them when my original bid gets knocked off in a few minutes. :-)

Looks like it's going to be a long night. This is worse than waiting for election returns to come in from Florida.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
JH go to bed, I'll let you know what happened tomorrow :-)

I have been tracking some of the people that have dropped out the past 15 minutes, some of them are not coming back in, and the bids seem to be trickling in now, so hopefully any hour

Silver Member

Post Number: 477
Don't worry John, with the bidding going the way it is now I'd be very surprised if the lowest winning bid creeps over $550.

Noticed that now the site is flashing "last chance to bid"...me wonders if 10pm is the cutoff? They probably extended the bidding for everyone who's coming home from work having forgotten to check their original bids.

Yep, them ubid folks are crafty mofos. But you're still getting a sweet deal give or take maybe an extra hundred or two more than you hoped to pay.

G. Dark
Unregistered guest
That sign has been flashing for hours. You'll get to listen to Art Bell tonight.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
"Have we not heard the chimes at midnight?"
Henry IV
Bids are slowing to a crawl

G. Dark
Unregistered guest
That sign has been flashing for hours. You'll get to listen to Art Bell tonight.

G. Dark
Unregistered guest
Could it be? Could it be?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
congratulations. You are all $450 some odd dollars poorer. Let's hear the winner for the lowest bid. Mine was $462

Username: Sebastian

Post Number: 3
Auction seems closed. This was the first time I've used Ubid, and in my ignorance bid far too high. Still, much much lower than I ever expected to pay for even a SR6400. So consider me ecstatic!

G. Dark
Unregistered guest
Mine was $460. Congratulations to all of you who hung in there.

bb

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Justin was that you at $530? It's ok Blacksburg is a still a pretty town.

Username: Sebastian

Haha! Indeed it was. I feel a bit silly, but at the same time, I was going to spend well above that for a less advanced model. This is more receiver than I can rightly afford in any other fashion. Live and learn, I suppose.

Silver Member

Post Number: 481
that's funny, the website shows it's still in "overtime."

stuman
Unregistered guest
it's over I got email confirming my winning bid!

Silver Member

Post Number: 482
congrats guys!

btw, anybody know what the lowest winning bid was? the website doesn't say. Just curious...

Bronze Member

Pasadena, CA

They hide the bid history as soon as times up, I think. Believe the lowest price was about $454 give or take a few bucks, highest $535. I feel confident that the 10 minute bit was longer than that. At 8:33PM jt, bid 106, entered his or her bid and I did not see any later than that. At about 10:01 or 02, bidding ending. My bid was stuck at #129 for the last 20+ minutes. Curious. Anyway, I now own a 8400 for $461 plus shipping and probably will be seeking assistance on hooking it up phantom-wise. Good night all.

Frank Kingman
Unregistered guest
Congrats to all those who won!

One, so far, has been listed on ebay (listed after close of THIS particular lot on ubid; it also has the whole description, including the special keyword that ubid places in auction listings to identify mega auctions, pasted into the ebay listing).
That is pretty funny.
:-)

I only bought one for my own use.
However, for future reference, does anyone know if reselling a Marantz (receiver) voids the warranty for the new buyer?

Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us