Archive through April 27, 2005

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 1075
"Heck, I've been obsolete for years."

Like you're alone LOL! But you are in such fine company..........................

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1014
Rick: Fine company? Not much better to be found anywhere I've ever been, sir. . .

Kegger: Soooo - you're finding out that "getting older" ain' all it's cracked up to be? You young cats finally learn - usually the hard way! (grin)

As to allergies - ah, my friend, you certainly live in the right part of the country for them! When I was living in Battle Creek - my high school years - I had such bad allergies that I thought I couldn't stand another day! Much later, I moved to Colorado, and lost nearly all of them - except for some of those danged desert bushes! Now, living here in Swampville, I find that only the pine pollen gets to me - and we only get that for about two weeks in the spring.

Living on the "nation's pen-is" helps a bit, too, as breezes off the ocean sweep across the state, and keep the worst of the allergy-junk down.

So - I guess the only answer for you, sir, is: move to either Colorado or Flawed-duh! See you around. . . you'll be in great company, remember, Rick will soon be stomping through the swamps down heah, ready to knock that eagle off Mer's shoulder! (double grin)

Silver Member
Username: Simplymcintosh

Post Number: 269
Kegger,

Those aches and pains are certainly a wake-up call aren't they? It's funny (?) how I can't walk when I first wake up. Have to walk gingerly and give the feet a few minutes to stretch. Someone once told me I look like Frankenstein with that morning gait.

Sem,

F451 was fascinating. It's a little disconcerting how Bradbury's vision of a future society actually parallels where we are now in so many ways. There is no actual date provided in the book but a mention of "starting and winning" two nuclear wars since 1990 so that gives us a reference point for when the story occurs. Interesting how Bradbury's society is all about speed, comfort, sports and entertainment (and, of course censorship) and here we are...very prophetic.

John Fox is a classy guy and very highly regarded by Panther fans. We hope to keep him around for a long time but understand the lure of big city markets. We are currently mourning the passing of Sam Mills, another outstanding gentleman from the Panthers organization.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1016
SM (&Kegger) I once had a good, honest doctor (yea, I know, impossible) who told me, when I turned 50 years old, "before you ever get up in the morning, lie in bed and do a series of cat-stretches - full-out, body-twisting, leg-pulling stretches." Not only did that help, but it starts your day with an endorphin-rush and makes you feel just a bit peppier (is that a word?).

Did my in-bed stretching this ayem - and it's a better day already! (grin)

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3547

"Someone once told me I look like Frankenstein with that morning gait."

Bet you're not living with them anyomre.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1079
Men....Go figure! LOL!

Silver Member

Post Number: 270
"Someone once told me I look like Frankenstein with that morning gait."

Bet you're not living with them anyomre.

LOL. True.

As much as I love cats, I really hate it when they pick on baby birds, baby squirrels and baby rabbits. My next door neighbor has two cats that she keeps outdoors and today I came home and one of them had a baby bird it was "playing" with. I got the cat and took it to the neighbor's house and asked her to keep it inside while I tried to attend to the bird. The bird is too young to fly but it could still hop along even after playing with the cat. I managed to catch it in one of my cat carriers (lol) and have spent the past couple of hours trying to locate a rehabilitator. Fortunately, I found one and will take the bird in tomorrow morning.

Wonder what this has to do with stereo vs MC?

Silver Member

Post Number: 271
Wonder what this has to do with stereo vs MC?

I know...with two wings, birds are stereo. Unless one of the wings is eaten by a cat then they are mono. Luckily, my baby bird is still stereo the way all birds should be. ;-)

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1762
SM - don't tell me about cats! [grin]

Tales of Ziggy

Story #1

Going back a few years we had a very smart, part Burmese, part feral, black cat. One night I awoke about 2 am and went downstairs for a business trip and in the dark, as I made my way across the living room, I felt as if the floor was floating. No, not drugs! I switched on the light and was shocked to discover that the entire floor was covered in feathers. Then I heard the flapping of wings and followed the sound until I moved the sofa and found a pidgeon with an enormous hole eaten out of its chest. Ziggy the cat had been having some fun.

I wanted to do the right thing, but I couldn't face it at that time of the morning so I put the poor pidgeon in a cardboard box. We both cleaned up the living room and went back to bed. When we woke hours later, I went into the laundry to check on the pidgeon and it was . . .

. . . alive and seemingly in good spirits - with this huge hole in its chest. I couldn't believe it. I knew who owned the pidgeon: a neighbour up the hill from us had racing pidgeons so I went to return it. But, I told a little white lie - I said I'd found it on our driveway. He thanked me profusely and told me there must be a hawk or something around as he had lost about a dozen pidgeons over the past couple of months. I wondered if he noticed my red face, as I left with an enormous feeling of guilt.

Story #2

My wife and I were having breakfast early one morning and noticed two of our neighbours little girls (about 7 and 10) were following our fence-line, looking around and crying. I knew what was wrong immediately: when we awaoke that morning I had found a guinea pig lying dormant on the kitchen floor - yep, Ziggy the cat! I scolded the cat (yeah - like he really listened) and buried the poor creature.

I did not know who owned it until we saw the two, very upset girls searching the area. I went out and asked them if they were looking for the guinea pig and they both sobbed and nodded their heads. I explained what had happened and they both burst into tears and asked the question that almost made me join them: "Did you find the two babies also?"

Ziggy - our first and last cat - died of kidney failure a few years later.

Not an audio related story, but one old dogs may get some satisfaction from - well at least from the ending. LOL!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1024
My Rantz - well now dammit, my friend! You've gone and made me shed tears all over Lola, and she didn't like it one bit! Stopped working, in fact. Fortunately, a hair dryer set her straight.

No more cat stories, OK/ I mean - OK? (grin)

Sigh - yeah - Mer and I don't have cats anymore, either. When I had to euthanize our old favorite, Lady Grey, it just about destroyed me. Still cry over her on lonely nights. . .

So - what's new in sound, guyz, eh? (sniffle)

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1765
Sorry Larry

But I forgot to add an important part to story #1

On the morning of the following day, we awoke and found the wounded pidgeon once again in our living room. This time Ziggy had completed his quest. The remains remain buried as does this part of the story from the pidgeon's owner. LOL!

Oh and I did offer to purchase more guinea pigs for the little girls next door, but their father would not have it - he said it was good riddance as far as he was concerned (though not in front of the girls thank Eric).

My wifes thinks I'm an insensitive cad at times. Like the day Ziggy the cat died. He was very, very sick and I promised to take him to the vet. The vet said there was no hope and euthanised him on the spot. Instead of paying $50 for disposal, I had them wrap the cat and took it home for a decent burial. Before doing so, my wife rang to inquire about the cat's condition. As it lay on the bench nearby, I felt it and told her Ziggy's condition had worsened and that rigor mortis was now setting in. She did not speak to me for a couple of days. [grin]

Some people have no sense of humour LOL!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3548

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/133055.html

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1026
Jan: "Huh?"

My Rantz - well, at least you ended the stories! (grin)

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1773
"So - what's new in sound, guyz, eh?"

Well Larry, all I have to report is that my second order from Acoustic sounds has been shipped. So I guess early next week I should be immersing myself in more wonderful liquid music - there I've done it:

Hi res surround = liquid music
Plain ol' stereo = hard, flat surfaced music

LOL!

Jan

Double Huh!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1027
MR - good to hear about your AS shipment, sir! Yes, I do about equal business with AS and Amazon. I love Amazon's free shipping - but sometimes the AS prices are a tad lower, thus the two nearly equal out. And AS often has stock that Amazon does not!

Uh-oh - don't start up that "my sound is better than your sound" challenge again!!! (grin) HELP!!

When Mer came in to ask what I was doing just now I told her I was posting to you - and she said to tell you: "Front speaker-only stereo is just fine for music!" Now, sir, you don't want to find yourself running for cover with Mer - Eagle on her shoulder, sculptor's hammer in her hand - closing in for the kill, do you????? (double grin)

Sorta like telling Rick: "Hey, buddy, tube amps are really full of crap!" Uh-oh!!!!!

Ain' recorded mewzik fun?!?!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1028
PS - the above was posted with my tongue firmly in cheek. Hurts like Hades!!! (grin)

Silver Member

Post Number: 272
MR,

Thanks for the stories. This is my second wild animal rescue from my neighbor's cats. The first one involved the cats "playing" with a baby squirrel. According to my neighbor, Brian, (not the owner of the cats) this had been going on for an hour before I got home - Brian found it amusing. I didn't. So, I put both the cats in a spare bedroom at my house for 3 hours to allow the squirrel time to escape. It remained under the bushes terrified for about 30 minutes but eventually left. I think he is now a full grown squirrel who tries to steal the bird seed. Why can't we all get along?

Apparently, the cats also got to a baby rabbit who did not survive. I was not aware of this until my neighbor (the cats' owner) told me about it yesterday after I had taken the cat to her yesterday and asked her to keep it inside while I rescued the bird. She already knows I am annoyed that her cats are allowed to roam outside but it doesn't matter.

Anyway, the baby bird was still alive this morning so I took it to the rehabilitator. They confirmed it is a baby Robin. It does have an infection because of the cat so they'll feed it and give it antibiotics. Hopefully, it will survive.

Your story of the pigeon reminded me of Mike the Headless Chicken.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3551

Borrow big dog. Let play with little kitty.

Silver Member

Post Number: 273
Heck no! That's not a solution either. Keep kitties indoors like a good guardian. Good for wildlife, good for kitties.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1774
Larry

I guess just the mention of me puts Le Mer on two channel guard - oh how I'd love to sit her down on my couch and rock her senses with that wonderful, utopian, sublime, liquid, oh yeah - not to forget halographic (thanx for that one Rick), lush, warm, crystal clear, spacious, captivating and enchanting hi-res surround music. Larry, she'd never wanna leave - well, not until she tasted my cooking LOL!

Oh, and Larry, tube amps ARE really full of crap! There's more to 'em than a few pretty valves ya know! [grin]

But are they worth the trouble?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3552

753 BC - Romulus founds Rome

After a rather dull 1200 years:

1729 - Tsarina Catherine II of Russia is born. Later becomes the world's first upside down equestrian.

1863: Texas won its independence with the defeat of the Mexican Army at San Jacinto.

1898 - Spanish-American War: The U.S. Congress, on April 25, recognizes that a state of war exists between the United States and Spain as of this date.

1918 - World War I: German fighter ace Manfred von Richthofen, known as "The Red Baron," is shot down and killed by Allied fire over Vaux sur Somme in France.

1926 - Queen Elizabeth II is born. Doesn't know from flow ports.

1953 - Roy Cohn and G. David Schine, two of U.S. Senator Joseph McCarthy's chief aides, recommend the removal of 30,000 books from the libraries of the United States Information Service posts in Europe, including works by Dashiell Hammett, W. E. B. Du Bois, Herman Melville, John Steinbeck, and Henry David Thoreau, calling them "pro-Communist".

1954: U.S. Air Force begins flying French reinforcements to Indochina.

1956 - Elvis Presley's song "Heartbreak Hotel" becomes the "King's" first song to reach the top of the Billboard magazine music charts.

Ongoing armed conflicts
• Arab-Israeli conflict (Al-Aqsa Intifada)
• Conflict in Chechnya
• Second Congo War
• Conflict in Iraq (Occupation of Iraq)
• Darfur conflict in Sudan
• Civil war in Cote d'Ivoire

Ongoing wars
1964-Colombian Insurgencies (aka Colombian Civil War, Colombian Conflict)
1977-Somalian Civil War
1978-Wars in Afghanistan
1978-1979 Mujahideen and tribal forces against Democratic Republic of Afghanistan
1979-1989 Soviet invasion of Afghanistan
1989-1993 Civil War between different tribal military forces
1994-2001 Civil War between Taliban movement and Northern alliance
2001-2002 U.S. invasion of Afghanistan
2002-Conflict between U.S.-backed central government and Taliban guerillas, as well as dissident regional factions.
1988-Casamance Conflict
1992-Algerian Civil War
1994-Zapatista Rebellion in Mexico (the fighting has already ended).
1995-Second Ugandan Civil War
1996-Nepalese Peoples War
1998-Second Congo War: the bloodiest ongoing war, with an estimated 3.8 million dead
1999-Second Chechen War
2001-Civil War in Cote d'Ivoire
2003-2003 invasion of Iraq
2003 Darfur conflict, Sudan

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1775
SM

Mike the headless chicken - LOL!

I'D HAVE TO SEE IT TO BELIEVE IT!

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1776
Jan

Make love not war!

Silver Member

Post Number: 274
MR,

Did you read Mike's full story? Some classic quotes:

"..a fine specimen of a chicken except for not having a head."

"..he was a big fat chicken who didn't know he didn't have a head"

He was also featured in Life and Time magazines and went on a tour as if he were a rock star.

:-)

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1080
SM,

I'ts just one of those circle of life kind of things..........you can't change nature without ill effects.

Larry/Rantz,

Take on Mer? No sirs, no way. I know when I've met my match. LOL!

Tubes amps are full of_ _ _ _ ??????

and you want us to make WHAT? LOL!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1030
My Rantz: Oooooeeeee! Yer full of it today, sir! After all those descriptive words, how could ANY sound live up to that? (grin)

As for the 2-channel comments - as all of you realize, both Mer and I spend an inordinate amount of time with our tongues in our respective (facial) cheeks. We talk funny, but since nobody listens, who cares?

Actually-factually, in our house, I'd say that we listen to about half and half - surround vs. stereo, that is. If we play SACDs, it's surround. Reg-lar CDs - usually 2-channel - BUT - for some unknown and nutzy reason, if I play ANY regular CD on the Yammie and select 7.1 analog input on the NAD, it plays in Dolby Pro Logic II. If I try to select "stereo" on the NAD it says "no can do in 7.1 analog." I have to go to digital output to get "pure" 2-channel.

so - I just attenuate the surround speakers to the point where I can't hear them. Sigh. Am not a fan of Pro Logic. . .

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1031
Rick: Uh, yes, sir - I tried to challenge Mer once. Them eagle-claws hurt like the dickens! (grin) And dem artist-knives leave deep scars!

Our Aussie friend has been using strange tree bark in his teacupt, me thinks. . .hmmm. . .

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1777
SM

Yes I did - hilarious!

If ever anyone needed to get ahead . . .

I guess he didn't need a comb either [grin]

Also, he could never be part of the pecking order!

Talk about handicapped - deaf, dumb and blind and no sense of smell!

Why did Mike the chicken cross the road - probably hoping to get run over by a Mac!

". . . went on a tour as if he were a rock star."

Yeah - support act for Alice Cooper LOL!

Oh dear!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1032
Jan V. - "big dog play with liddle kittie?" Hmmm, sir - you'd better stay FAR away from SM with comments like that! Let's see - how far is it from the East Coast to Tax-us? 1,2,3,4. . .

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1034
Rantz - isn't it past your bedtime? (ummmmm)

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1778
"Our Aussie friend has been using strange tree bark in his teacupt, me thinks. . .hmmm. . "

Actually Larry, I'm just over-tired - can't sleep again - now I doubt if I will try again - images of headless chickens and all. Oh my!

Silver Member

Post Number: 275
". . . went on a tour as if he were a rock star."

Yeah - support act for Alice Cooper LOL!

Actually, it was with Ozzy Osbourne. ;-)

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1779
"Actually, it was with Ozzy Osbourne."

Is there a difference? [grin]

Silver Member

Post Number: 276
Well, for one I don't think Alice has ever bitten the head off a bird like Ozzy. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 277
Well, for one I don't think Alice has ever bitten the head off a bird like Ozzy. :-)

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3554

Revision to Plan A-1, which will heretofore be known as 2-c under the provision of the amendable amendments code of the civil authority otherwise and elsewhere known as the cover your butt clause to the short list of rights accorded to all home owners with stupid neighbors.

Borrow very big, ugly, smelly dog. Tell neighbor dog likes to play with little kitties, rest their souls. Ask if neighbor could keep dog in their yard for a few days since you're afraid of the dog. Smile sweetly!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3556

Gee, guys. Was it something I said?

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1089
.............we were waiting for the wrath of P.E.T.A. !

Or SM!

I think we're safe!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3557

I hope everyone had a good Earth Day and did nothing to disrespect the planet.

1564: Birth of William Shakespeare, England.

1597 - Shakespeare's The Merry Wives of Windsor is first performed, with Queen Elizabeth I of England in attendance.

1616: Both William Shakespeare and Miguel de Cervantes died.

In my home town:
1973: Fifteen federal and local narcotics agents mistakenly invaded the home of Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Giglotto of Collinsville, Illinois and, without a warrant, ransacked their home, smashing much of their property. No drugs were discovered and no arrests were made. This was considered a big deal at the time.

Feast Day of Saint George

Jurgi festival, in ancient Latvia

Independence Day for the Conch Republic

National Beer Day in Germany

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3025
I have got a bit behind with the latest news on Old Dogs.

Super tales of cats, MR. They are true carnivores, SM. They don't "pick on" things; they kill them and eat them. Sometimes just kill them. For fun. They play with them a bit, true. The back leg comes out, claws unsheathed, with the disembowling reflex, they play with the guts a bit. They enjoy it. Argh. Give me a dog anytime! They do a good clean kill, and only for food.

Thanks for the link, Don. "But they've definitely killed the LP, and it's going to stay dead." PIctures of 180 gms of vinyl being mauled by MR's cat. A call to arms, if ever I heard one.

Sorry to barge in here. I have been listening to music a bit, a probably increased to average scroll-down speed on "Discoveries" with talk of Haydn and suchlike. Rick and Larry encouraged me, that's my only excuse.

Now the imporant bit. From Dr Who episode 5. On this day. CNN reports "Great Britain has irrefutable proof that the aliens possess weapons of mass destruction. These are poised, ready to strike, in forty-five seconds...." (Betcha it was "minutes" in the original script).

"...We have therefore authorized the UN to release to the British Government..." (OUCH!) "... the security keys for deployment of their nuclear arsenal, our only hope of saving the planet against extraterrestrial aggression".

You probably won't get this over there, and, if you do, there are too many in-jokes, probably. But....

In the end, the aliens (who want to make a fast buck out of Earth's scrap value) are destroyed, using an ICBM and vinegar (as used by Hannibal to cross the Alps) along with the entire UK Government (a price that has to be paid....) - except for the MP Flydale North ("All planets have a North") who, under emergency regulations, becomes Prime Minister. Her press conference outside the ruins of 10 Downing Street assures us the threat is gone, and ends... (I have been wanting to hear this for so long - are your there, guys, still with me?)

"God bless Humanity".

Is this satire, or what...?

Jonathan Swift could have written that script. Brilliant with capital "B".

Jan, where is the "Conch Republic"?

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3026
Larry, Pro-logic is hopeless. Best avoided. Do not blame NAD. Their "EARS" is better (warning: opinion), but it is still not multi-channel.

More and more discs are on SACD or Cd/SACD hybrid.

Newbie question. I have a nice DVD-A/DVD-V/CD player. Should I upgrade to SACD? Will I hear the difference compared with CD? Will I get better CD performance on an SACD/CD player than on my DVD/CD player? Or should I get a tube amp? Which format (SACD or tube) is less full of sh_t? Does the Shanling tube SACD player give the best of both worlds, or the worst, or do they cancel out? SACD or tubes - which will make more difference, given I am a closet anarcho-syndicalist with leanings to the "Respect" party, listen to 85% Pergolesi, 10% Gregorian Chant, 3% Heavy Metal, 1% Dr Who? I also like to chill out with Peter Maxwell Davies's Naxos Quartets. BTW I listen mostly in stereo, these days. I have a nice 5.1 system which is temporarily in the land of Vikings but I have not ruled out future upgrades to multi-channel.

I am also worried about my sub-woofer cable. Please help. - Confused, London.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1090
I would put all of the available upgrade funds into a new subwoofer cable. That's where the biggest bang for the buck lies....................

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3027
Thank you so much, Rick. I shall try to find one with a blue light, I think....

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1091
If you find one with a blue light on each end, let me know...........LOL!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3561

John - I have no idea where the Conch Republic is. But being a Republic, I can only imagine what their elections look like. "OK, you dipped your finger in the squid ink? Good, now hold the official Conch Shell up to your right ear and tell us whether you hear the voice of the Sea God telling you to vote Labor or Democrat. Got that? Good! Now make your mark next to your choice and then go have a seat at the buffet table."

If the British Goverment (so sad about the Royal family) is allowed to use their nuclear arsenal and they deploy an ICBM, does that mean they've expended the entire arsenal in one missile? Or is this another one of those Lend/Loan programs like in the 1940's?

I have to disagree with Rick. According to the best ears on the forum, cables make no difference. I would therefore forgo any cable what so ever to your subwoofer. This should give you the cleanest, most seamless integration of speaker to sub. With this set up you do not need to be overly concerned about setting the X-over point.

As to the electronics, someone once said there are no stupid questions. It was a stupid answer.

I would try eBay for a used SACD/DVD-V/DVD-A/CD/CD-R/RW/JPEG/MP3/DVD+RW/+R/DVD-RW/-R/HDCD/MiniDisc/AutoRever seLaserDisc player combo with a tube amp included. Make certain the tube amp is on the top otherwise the heat from the tubes can melt your discs. There was one available the other day that was also a Pannini machine. You do not need a Pre Amp if you are using the Green Mountain speakers. With Paradigms you will need two Pre Amps unless the speakers are not the Monitor Series. Hope this helps.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3028
That is most helpful, Jan. If I could only find one of those players that will do iTunes and Windows media player, interface with my home WiFi network, clip to one's belt, make cappucino, and has satellite geo-positioning, then it would be a no-brainer. Like the headless chicken.

I think I can see a way to combine a blue light (thanks, Rick) with the kind of sub cable you recommend, by waiting for digital Blu-Ray for the highest definition on the .1 channel. The TOS-link sub interconnect will be detached from the receiver, giving the seamless X-over you describe, and will cast a pleasing blue glow in to the room, suitable for listening to certain Miles Davis albums, for example.

Actually, I have some nice new CDs, for example a complete set of Beethoven Symphonies that sound just wonderful. RLPO/MacKerras on Classics for Pleasure. Gorgeous. They use their own editions. Wonderful details, phrasing, tempi. Also layout - Vlns 1 left; Vlns 2 right. I hear many things in there I have never heard before. And I said on this forum, even this thread, that I would buy no more CDs. Pass the hat sauce, please.

It was interesting to listen to Michael Haydn's Requiem by The King's Consort in the basement of the HMV Shop yesterday. They have about six or eight bookshelf-sized JBL speakers mounted high around a huge room, and obviously a sub or two hiding somewhere. Very nice sense of space, but no detail, and serious distortion on peaks.

Gimme a pair of Quad ESLs any day. I may go tubes, next. But I am doing fine at the moment.

Seriously, does SACD really make difference on two-channel? I still fancy I hear a little extra detail in DVD-A, but a straight comparison with CD is almost impossible, and there are some superb CDs these days. I note that many of the quality record labels (e.g. Linn; BIS; Hyperion) are going SACD/CD hybrid, but many quality independent electronics makers are still shunning SACD.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2415
Johh While I agree with you some new cd's can sound very very good I do believe
that sacd has the capability to sound superior to a cd and I have some that do.

Since you allready have the dvd-a/dvd/cd player I would probably go for a cd/sacd only player.
Sony and marrantz make some very nice mid priced players.

I don't know about the shannlings tubes, if I was interersted in buying one I would
do a lot of research and ask around as much as I could. If I was in your position I
would probably be looking at those also!

By getting a dedicated sacd/cd player even if it's tube should be able to find
something really good without having to go to rediculous in price!

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1791
John,

If you are interested in SACD and so you should be - think of a purchase as you would if buying a turntable: would you buy a Sanyo from Kmart?

If you want a quality source you can't let your hand get the jitters as it reaches for the wallet - and the wallet should be fat.

My opinion, taking the above into account John, is that yes, even for two channel (another deep sigh) SACD is a superior sound than CD. Some more than others. The original recording quality, the engineers, etc influence the result. I have a few SACD ( and DVD-A's) that probably aren't much better (if at all) than a very good CD recording - but, I repeat to stress, those are only a few.
But, you know my real opinion and I am not bashing your NAD - for convenience sell it and get a very good quality universal player and for the other reason that I keep harping on about: SURROUND JOHN, SURROUND!

Silver Member

Post Number: 278
Irony abounds. Read email early morning from dearest Lar and Mer who are heading to Key West this week. Read article in paper late afternoon about a celebration this week in Key West...thought of dearest Lar and Mer. Read Old Dogs thread mid-evening and saw mention of Conch Republic which reminded me of aforementioned Key West article.

The Conch Republic is Key West.

Lar and Mer, go to above site and look for the link for Independence Celebration to help plan your trip. I suggest you not miss the following event:

Fairvilla MegaStore Red Ribbon Bed Race Pre-Race Pajama Party at Shanna Key Irish Pub & Grill 1900 Flagler Ave.

I might have to call in sick to work on Wednesday and join you in KW. ;-)

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1040
John A. - trying to play catch-up here before turning off my beloved Lola for the week, when Mer and I shall engage in some revelry down in Key West. Back next weekend.

THE CONCH REPUBLIC: Ah! No reason any one of you should know about it. But (aha!) I sure do!

The Conch Republic came about in 1982 - in a desperate act by the mayor and his city council, after drug enforcement and immigration officials closed the highway leading into town and started searching everything and everybody.

Need I say where? Why, Key West, Flawed-Duh! Yep, the council had "had it" with all the fussing over such minor problems as mary-wanna and a few too many Cubans hanging around.

they drew up official articles of secessions from the United States - passed it, and filed it with the UN and copied to all governments.

A day later they officially declared war (this is true!) on the United States. About six hours after that - without a shot being fired (that we know about) the Conch Republic surrendered - and immediately filed for foreign aid! All true.

To my knowledge, they never got any aid, but the Feds backed off, and left Key West to its colorful lifestyle - which Mer and I will be enjoying this week, in the company of friends.

The Conch Republic was born about two years after I and a few thousand other reporters staked out the place and rode about in all sorts of boats, doing stories on the great Mariel Boatlift. Sigh. Wasn't what we thought - and turned out to be an embarrassment to everybody concerned - but it DID save a few poor souls from prosecution and certain persecution in Cuba.

And that - John and Jan - is a thumbnail sketch of the "Conch Republic." A true story. . .

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1041
One more (true) Key West/Conch Republic story. In about 1978 I was bumming around town, diving and sailing and drinking and what-all - and picked up the local paper. Wham-oh!

Huge black headlines: WHERE IS BUM FARTO?

Huh? Reading the article, I found that Bum Farto (legal name) was the fire chief, and suddenly disappeared with 100-thousand of the city's dollars. Gone - but NOT forgotten! To my knowledge, they never found the guy - at least I never read about his arrest or even detection.

Such is Key West - where they have TWO chambers of commerce - one g a y one straight. True.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1042
Final comments on Conch Republic - if you don't believe me, read Carl Hiaasen!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1043
Since I know you guys still don't believe me: for your reading pleasure - - -

http://www.conchrepublic.com/history.htm

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2416
I don't believe it Larry! Your such a fibber!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3562

Sorry, Larry, I like my story better. Have to go now, the buffet is about to start.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1093
Jan-I love it! I think that's how we should elect our next president. Enjoy the feast............

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3030
Kegger and My Rantz,

Thanks, guys. I was messing about in those last posts, of course, and thanks for staying for the serious question

"Since you allready have the dvd-a/dvd/cd player I would probably go for a cd/sacd only player." Yes, I am thinking of going that route, Kegger. At least giving it a try.

"SACD is a superior sound than CD". Thanks, MR, that is what I wanted to know.

"SURROUND JOHN, SURROUND". Yes, I agree. Right now we are limited for space. I have tried surround from DVD-A and DVD-V with active computer speakers (not bad for what they are) but have given those to the old TV (its own speaker died) in the boys' bedroom, which frees up the hifi for music a bit more.

Eventually I will get a surround system back, I have five good of speakers to move over and another pair here (the KEF Corellis) resting. Even those are really too big to use as surrounds in our room, expecially since they need to go on stands. The plant stands now have plants on them. Also, I would need another stereo amp (tube?) or my NAD T760 back.

Anyway, it has all got very complicated because of my system being in two different countries. But the enforced interlude of stereo has been very good, and instructive.

Going back to Jan's original point "Am I the only one who thinks music almost always sounds better in stereo?": I have now arrived at a stereo system that involves me in music more effectively than anything I have ever owned. It is mostly down to the Quad ESL speakers.

When we get settled, I will add surround channels, somehow, and see what is the effect. I predict it will give something extra for most movies and certain sorts of music. But I am not experiencing any great loss at the moment.

The people who wrote here "but music comes from the front" have a point. As you said about the Rattle/BPO Mahler 5 DVD-A, MR, it is hardly surround at all; the rear channels just give some ambience from the hall. Hearing how well the Quads give the impression of a three-dimensionsal sound stage, I see Jan's point more clearly about how far one can go with stereo.

When I have added surround to the Quads as mains, I'll let you know.

Thanks for the update on the Conch republic, SM and Larry. It rings a bell. I remember the license plate "Life's a beach" but that's the nearest I ever got to Florida. Over here, Life is mostly either a rocky shore or mudflats, at low tide. Beaches are OK now and again; but I am sure I would not choose to live on one.

Bottom line, and it is just my own state of play: ESL 63s are the best speakers, for me, I have ever heard, let alone owned. They are strong on all the things I prize most: clarity, detail, imaging, - THE MUSIC! If I had to choose between two of those speakers and an equivalent-price surround system, I would unhestitatingly choose the former. That is not to say there can be no further improvement from mutichannel. And if SACD really tops CD, I know I have the speakers to reveal it.

That's about where I am.

Have good trip, Larry!

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1793
John

Forget tube amps, forget SACD, forget surround. You have ESL 63's, what on earth could you gain with anything else when you have THE WORLD'S BEST SPEAKERS.

All

"but music comes from the front"

Okay, that depends where you are sitting. Mark Knopfler recently recorded 'Shrangrila' in almost a 'lounge room' setting where the musicians laid down the tracks and had fun recording in almost a 'jam session' type of arrangement. The recording is available on DVD-A + CD (which I have) and SACD. The hi-res sound is nothing short of astonishing and I am yet to compare the CD version.

No record company ever claimed that the hi-res surround formats was to replace stereo but offer an alternative to give the feeling like one is taking part in the performance or situated with the musicians spaced around them (or spaced out around them if you prefer). I am finding in most cases that's how I prefer to listen through speakers hundreds of levels below those of the world's best. Personally, for those not hearing what I am I think you are missing out. But I get to hear it both ways if I want. What could be better - besides owning the world's best speakers.[grin]

Larry & Mer

Enjoy Key West. Have a ball. Larry, don't go off by yourself. Maybe I shoud rephrase that. Nah you know. [grin again]

Silver Member

Post Number: 279
Larry,

Did you happen to notice I answered the Conch Republic question a full minute before you did? Or that I posted the link 16 minutes before you? It's ok, it's not a competition. :-)

JohnA,

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Quads so much. Stereo SACD does sound better than CD on the three I have been able to compare: Aimee Mann's "Lost in Space" and "Bachelor #2" and Beck's "Sea Change". In the case of Beck, the surround mix was also excellent. In my one direct comparison between SACD and DVD-A, I preferred the SACD mix of Steely Dan's Gaucho. BTW, I have a free DVD-A of Gaucho to whomever wants it.

I have been too caught up in landscaping and reading to listen to music the last couple of weeks. My only listening has been in the car. The poor Maggies haven't been connected since Onix left. Maybe I'll get a chance to get the Mac hooked up this week.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1044
SM - 'sfar as I'm concerned, you always were, and probably always will be ahead of me! I tend to get busy writing, and fail to "refresh" the forum, so postings sneak in behind me. Happens all the time.

But yes - you were firstest. Now, all you've gotta do is GO to KW! If you do, you will NEVER forget - promise!

MR - quite a chuckle over your intended entendres there, fellah! Go onto some of those Key West websites and call up the Duval live cam, or the one by Hog's Breath Saloon - heck, on Thursday night (0ur time) you might see Mer and me, prancing down the street in something outrageous! We intend to be part of the "world's longest parade" that night - probably to our everlasting shame! (grin)

Have a good week, all - we'll be away from very early Tuesday ayem through Friday. If I'm still alive and alert, I'll post reacts next weekend. Music and all!!!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3563

Rick - I thought that's how a lot of people did vote this last time. At least that's the response they gave the exit polls in Ohio.

Silver Member

Post Number: 280
Lar,

I could call in sick the rest of the week and fly down to meet you and Mer tonight. lol. Sounds like you are going at a time that will be even more fun than usual for KW. Have a terrific time and tell Ernie I said hello!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1094
Jan,

You know I love ya, but that was below the belt. Funny, but below the belt. LOL!

I think the next one is going to be a battle of intergalactic proportions. Hillary vs McCain. I think we should open a few bottles of scotch and laugh our way through it.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3565

Sorry, Rick, I thought you might have seen that one coming. When you held the screen door wide open for me, well, I had no choice.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3031
Of course, if one has "the World's best speakers" then there is more to be gained from upgrading the other bits. BTW "The World's best speakers" is not my phrase. It is how I have heard them described. I haven't heard the rest.

I did another quick sortie into a record store today, after trying without success to choose two-channel DVD-A on my EMI Mahler 5, to see if it is so good.

I'll say this for SACD; you have the format, you have the player, and it plays. Or so I assume. DVD-A is a mess. Some discs do not have two-channel at all. Others (Like the Mahler 5) tell you the 2 vs 5.1 will select itself automatically according to the player's loudspeaker settings. I do not believe this. The NAD T533 is particularly inflexible as regards which tracks you can choose.

But here is EMI's blurb on the Mahler 10 DVD-A: "The stereo mix follows the balance of the compact disc, but in a higher resolution 24 bit/44.1 kHz format, yielding wider dynamic range and clarity of image".

I'll drink to that.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1095
Jan,

I can't argue with that. That door was open wide enough to drive a semi through. LOL!

FYI: McCain is more my kind of guy than G.W.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3568

McCain is to Republicans as Lieberman is to Dems. I'm still astounded McCain is willing to back George on anything after what Bush and Rove did to him in 2000. McCain and Hillary would be an interesting match with both arguing who is more toward the center on somethings and toward the respective right or left on others. I'm wondering what the Christian right will do when Bush is no longer around.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1096
Hopefully stop the old testament Bible thumping. I have to remind them that there are other religions in this country. The other unknown is Rudy Guliani's intentions. He was a great mayor for New York, and a man I have a lot of respect for. He was a great leader during 9/11. I know, I live only 50 miles from ground zero.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1794
John,

Sorry my friend, but I had to have a go at you about the Quads - seeing you've given them a mention in almost every post since you've had them. Therefore they must be either THE WORLD'S BEST SPEAKERS or you are convincing yourself to that fact. I hope you are laughing along with me here John!

As far as DVD-A vs SACD goes, there was a time when I thought SACD had the edge. Everytime I think one format may be better, a new recording on the other will prove me wrong. Apart from hugely extending the catalogue, that is the benefit of being able to play both.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3032
My Rantz,

I think I have, indeed, mentioned Quad ESLs from time to time.

As I said, not having heard all the speakers on the World it would be presuming things to describe them as THE WORLD'S BEST SPEAKERS. Though a dealer gave me that opinion. And he stocked KEF, B&W, not Quad. He also said he kept hoping someone would trade some ESLs in, so he could keep them for himself.

Let me confidently describe Quad ESL 63 speakers, instead, as THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD.

I found some other hifi shops today. They had just closed. One had a range of Spendor speakers in the window (they look really nice); the other had B&W and Musical Fidelity kW amps and so on. Also a Denon A11 CD/SACD/DVD player listed as used, in a notice.

I will certainly keep open this SACD idea. Thanks to you, SM, Kegger and others for being clear where you stand!

I am in the same boat with SACD as with tube amps. Personally agnostic but impressed by the testimonials from reputable people.

As recall, we have

_______MR___Jan___Kegger___Rick___2c___Larry

Tubes_ -_____+______+________+____+ -
SACD + ? + ? + +

Sorry, that was supposed to be a table

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3033
My Rantz,

I think I have, indeed, mentioned Quad ESLs from time to time.

As I said, not having heard all the speakers on the World it would be presuming things to describe them as THE WORLD'S BEST SPEAKERS. Though a dealer gave me that opinion. And he stocked KEF, B&W, not Quad. He also said he kept hoping someone would trade some ESLs in, so he could keep them for himself.

Let me confidently describe Quad ESL 63 speakers, instead, as THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD.

I found some other hifi shops today. They had just closed. One had a range of Spendor speakers in the window (they look really nice); the other had B&W and Musical Fidelity kW amps and so on. Also a Denon A11 CD/SACD/DVD player listed as used, in a notice.

I will certainly keep open this SACD idea. Thanks to you, SM, Kegger and others for being clear where you stand!

I am in the same boat with SACD as with tube amps. Personally agnostic but impressed by the testimonials from reputable people.

As recall, we have

________MR____Jan___Kegger___Rick___2c___Larry___SM

Tubes - + + + + - +
SACD + ? + ? + + +

Sorry, that was supposed to be a table. The font is proportional in the pre-view window.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3034
Sorry about that. Ignore the first one. It misses SM.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1796
John

Yes, I am with you. But I hooked up 2 slices of bread, (left and right) to the Marantz and nothing - no sound, no hum, no buzz, nada. Maybe I should try biwiring them - or is it something else I'm missing. So far I can why the quads would be better. LOL!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1097
John,

What kind of speakers do you have? I can't seem to recall. Do they have dimpled flowports?

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3035
That's right, MR.

I find that using slices of bread as speakers cuts through all this nonsense - there is then no difference between cables; amps; sources (LP vs CD, SACd etc). One can save a lot of money.

I can only speak about wholemeal. I haven't tried white, yet. But it is probably much the same.

Is there ANOTHER election coming up in US? They've only just had one!

Here, the run up to May 5 is gathering steam.

Sorry to read the obit of the distinguished governer of Queensland.

All the best.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3036
Crossed posts, Rick; apologies.

No, no flow-ports at all. Dimples don't enter into it. They are kind of big, and flat.

I forget the brand... Perhaps it will come back to me.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3037
It must be Governor of New York or similar.

I was very impressed by Guliani, from a distance, Rick, at the time.

Not so the top guy, I forget his name, who seemed to see it partly as an opportunity to be photographed with his arm around a fire-fighter.

I think he and our top guy get the same sort of PR advice. One of our guy's minions send an private e-mail around on 9/11 which said "This is good day to bury bad news". She resigned. But she complained it had been confidential, so it was below the belt to leak it. That's the way this lot operates, no question. Anyone remember David Kelly? The astounding thing last week was the TB volunteered the opinion that "we" had no choice but to name him. That is after a year and a half of denying that "we" had done anything of the kind; "independent" judicial inquiries; gagging the press; firing the BBC board; etc.; all because they had the temerity to suggest it had happened.

I assume Jan and I are the last people of our generation to have read "1984".

And the same guy stands there and says, sweetly, "I still think we did the right thing". Lord, what dishonesty, arrogance.

I shall write no more about politics. I going to listen to my slices of bread.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1797
Rick

Some people find dimpled flowports quite cute.

John,

No not the gov' mate, (they are just HRM's reps) but the old ex Premier who is head honcho in the state parliament. He was a long serving poitician who fought the unions and put Queensland at the top of the states as well as on the world map. You either liked him or hated him - most hated him but he was smart enough to retain power all that time.

BTW - I thought I had discovered the problem with the bread slices - not enough power. So I ramped up the ohms and guess what - yep, toast!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1098
John,

Pity......no flowports. As Jan said the majority of posters on this forum have concluded the following. Speakers with dimpled flowports sound superior to any other design. There is no audible difference in wire or cables. There is no audible difference in amps, tube or solid state. It all comes down to the quality in choice of your subwoofer cable. This known, there is nothing more we can learn from this forum. The all knowing have spoken, the matter is closed.

Jan-Did I leave anything out?

Rantz,

Cheers mate! Dimpled flowports cute? You are a silly old romantic, aren't you? LOL!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3570

Dimpled flowports - some people have to have surgery to remove them.

You mostly covered the inportant stuff, Rick. Now explain to the guy again where to go through his firewall and we'll be done here.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1099
LOL!

Hi Ho Silver.......Away

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3038
Sorry for the mix-up, MR. I sort of think of territories as comparable with American states, and the latter have governers, all drawn from the acting profession. It is no excuse, I know.

Rick;- "It all comes down to the quality in choice of your subwoofer cable". There is still the question of personal preference. It would be a boring old world if we all thought the same. As the French say, "Ca-que a son sub-cable". I should ignore Jan's remark about surgical removal of flowports; it is just another base reflex.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 581
John A.,

I'd like to revise my position on SACD/DVD-A on your chart. At this time, I'm neutral about the formats. On my old system, the hi-res discs clearly sounded better than CDs and vinyl. On my new system, especially with what I consider the world's best speakers, they sound marginally better than CDs and inferior to vinyl. My vinyl rig is three times the cost of my digital rig. So, it may be the hardware that explains the difference.

Re: Guliani and McCain--two moderate independent Republicans who ended up towing the hard right, fundamentalist line in the last election. It was disheartening to see McCain sucking up to W in 2004 after all the dirty tricks Karl Rove and his gang pulled on McCain during the 2000 Republican primaries. I used to admire McCain for his integrity, but turns out he's as a much a politician as the next guy.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1798
Two Cents

What is your universal player if I may ask?

Silver Member

Post Number: 582
Denon 2200

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2417
Now mr rantz before you go off, he did say his vinyl rig was much more expensive
then his digital setup including his sacd player!
Grin Grin!

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1799
Thanks 2C and Kegger.

I realise 2C you said your vinyl rig was the more expensive set-up. I knew Kegger, you had the 2200, I couldn't remember what 2C had. Just interested to know what it takes to beat the hi-res formats. I hope today I get time to compare M K's Shangrila on DVD-A and CD. If not I will do it asap and report my findings.

It would be an interesting comparison to compare the hi-res formats, cd's and vinyl on hi-end gear of comparible value/quality.

Silver Member

Post Number: 583
Rantz,

That would be a most interesting experiment.

Last night I listened to Dire Strait's Love Over Gold and was blown away by how good it sounded, both the music and sound quality. I'll be adding to my DS/MK collection for sure and am looking forward to your review of Shang-ri-la.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1800
Two Cents

I rated 'Shangrila' on the rate your hi-res . . . thread but gave it only an 8 not because it wasn't great, but because it SHOULD have been even better. It is a great recording - well worth it - in resolution and music.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/68570.html

All,

Not a good start to the day. Before my post here this morning, I had to kill one of my neighbours. Please, don't call the cops yet - he was one of a family of kookaburras that reside here and use our drinking and bathing services. After spending the last 24 hrs perched in the same spot on a tree branch, it finally fell to the ground a little while ago - breathing but barely alive. I had to do the humane thing! Damn, I hate it when they do that!

Silver Member

Post Number: 584
Rantz,

I read you're review of Shangrila and agree about Knopfler's strengths. The ratio of instrumental jams over singing on Love Over Gold makes it such a strong album. Great guitar work there.

In the same thread, I noticed some of my posts seemed a little too zealous regarding vinyl. For the record (pardon the pun), I prefer the sound of vinyl. I make no claims that it is objectively a better format than SACD, DVD-A, et al. When John A. goes on about the Quads, Rick about tube amps, and you about surround sound, I fully understand the excitement over discovering something that makes the music come alive. It's all good!

Poor little kookaburra. All things must pass. I think George Harrison said that.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1801
2C

"All things must pass"

I just wish they'd do their passing somewhere else LOL!

Brothers In Arms is being released on MC Hybrid SACD next month I believe. Looking forward to it.

Yes, I agree - as long as we like what we hear and hear what we like.

Cheers for now.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1100
John,

My apologies. It would seem I have contradicted myself. I forgot it was determined that all cables sound the same, so choice of subwoofer cable is of no consequence.

Jan,

As to the surgical removal of dimpled flowports, it's not the pain involved, but the embarassment of the rubber doughnut you have to carry around.

Rantz,

Just another circle of life kind of thing.

2C,

"All things must pass". I think a Doctor said that about a kidney stone.

Cheers All!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3573

Base reflex - yeah, I get it.

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2418
Sorry Mr. Rantz for jumping the gun there but on another forum people were
compairing there vinyl and digital rigs going back and forth on whats better.

most people who picked one over the other generally had much better setups
in the preferred medium. The ones that seem to enjoy both and have great sounding
systems on both sides of the fence have comparably quality setups.

And the latter is what I'm finding at the moment.
It depends on the quality of the playback system and the particular disk used.
To me both/all the formats can sound awsome with the right setup and the right disk!

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1802
Kegger,

You are right on - I just received another parcel of hi-res discs from Acoustic Sounds. I should be working but I can't help myself - just finished Grover Washington Jnr's "Winelight" DVD-A - fandamntastic sound and titles (Elliot Scheiner does it again) and am now listening to John Pizzarelli's "My Blue Heaven" a Chesky jazz SACD surround recording with no LFE but great music and excellent sound. Next up Peter Gabriel's "UP" SACD then Guitar Shorty and Gary Moore. But I should do some work or I'll be up all night - nah, I be be up all night.

Back to the music - cheers mate!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3041
2c,

Thanks. "On my new system, especially with what I consider the world's best speakers, they sound marginally better than CDs". Unless you object, I would mark that, still, as a small "+" for SACD.

We could add vinyl to the table, too, I guess. And DVD-A. I should add myself, but I fear it is all question marks.

2c, we must have a speaker shoot-out one day! They cannot both be the best!

I need to get my turntable back, that is clear.

As regards adjusting for cost, good point, 2c and MR, and even "entry level" tube amps are about the same cost as fairly up-market solid state, such as Musical Fidelity, Classé, and so on. Probably one should compare tube and transistor amps from the same maker, too. McIntosh and Quad are the only names that spring to mind.

Rick,

Good. Now we are getting somewhere! Of course, one pays for peace of mind, and why settle for less than the best with inexpensive items such as sub cables? One can always frame the sales receipt, and hang it on the wall, as a reminder.

Jan,

Sorry about the pun.

By the way, all, the 2005 BBC Prom programme is announced. They are doing some good stuff. The themes are The Sea (yes, RVW is there on July 23) and H.C. Andersen. Tippett's "Child of Our time" is on the first night. Coincidences abound. It is broadening in scope. All broadcast live in Radio 3. End of advertisement.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3042
jan, this whole thread is in danger of becoming a base reflex port.

Lord, how I dislike people who make recondite and childish puns. Like MR, I should be working. Today, reading the unreadable, trying to turn it into sense. I dare not switch on the hifi.

Is anyone else seeing more and more ads on the forum? A picture ad for Broadband below the navigation menu?

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1805
Hey John, if the ads help keep the forum viable then I'm okay with them.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3043
Agreed, MR. I am just wondering if other people are seeing what I am seeing. This time no ads loaded with the page, though there is an ad-sized space below and in the right-hand margin. Strange.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3577

1773: British Parliament passes the Tea Act. That ol' taxation without representation dog.

1805 - First Barbary War: United States Marines and Berbers attack the Tripolitan city of Derna (The "shores of Tripoli" part of the Marines' hymn).

1861: Pres. Lincoln suspends the writ of habeas corpus due to the Civil War. Thousands are jailed for the duration of the conflict without charges. And they said George got a "D" in History.

1861: West Virginia secedes from Virginia after Virginia secedes from U.S. Nyah, nyah!

1882: Ralph Waldo Emerson dies in Concord, Massachusetts. Buried in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery beside Thoreau and Hawthorne.

1937: The first Social Security payment was made.

1937: Death of Italian philosopher/communist Antonio Gramsci. Any word on Italy's 60th government since the war?

1989: First of many massive pro-democracy demonstrations in China. Any word on democracy in China?

1993: My father dies, leaving me to be "the adult" in the family.

1994: In South Africa's first all-race elections, Nelson Mandela and the African National Congress are swept into office.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us