Reciever for a poor college kid.

JonathanH
Unregistered guest
Objective: Recommend a reciever.

Criteria:
1. Optical input
2. Less than $300
3. Reliable

What I'm looking for is the most bang for my buck. I will be running the reciever off of a SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio card. If you would voice your opinions as to the best brands/stores I would appreciate it.

Thank you

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 472
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=648483
Harman/Kardon AVR-135 for $279.99

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=haravr135&store=&catid=4118
or here for $268.00

What speakers will you be driving? You might even do with less budget...

Bronze Member
Username: Jbecvar

Post Number: 58
Try the new Pioneer's, I believe you can pick up the VSX 915 for under three, maybe close to it, it's 7.1 capable.

JonathanH
Unregistered guest
I've got a set of 125-watt Cerwin-Vega! LS-8s and am considering buying two more if I get a new reciever.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 483
LS-8 Description: 8" 2-Way Bookshelf Model
Frequency Response: 40 Hz - 20 kHz
Power Handling: 150 watts
Sensitivity: 91 dB
Impedance: 8 ohm compatible
Crossover Frequencies: 4 kHz
Protection: Yes
Video Shielding: No
Dimensions: 16 1/2" x 9 7/8" x 10 1/2"
(H x W x D) 41.9 x 25.1 x 26.7 (cm)

So this is for movies? Any fifth speaker? Got a sub?
I think at this price point I'd go with h/k over Pioneer. The Pioneer 1015 is interesting but more expensive. You'll get better amplifiers and bass management with h/k.

Otherwise, for cheaper, the Denon AVR-1705 has an OSD, does upconversion to component and has good bass management. It's only $200...

JonathanH
Unregistered guest
Listening to MP3's mostly, but some movies and games as well.

JonathanH
Unregistered guest
Ah, perhaps I should answer the other questions as well. I don't have a 5th speaker or a Sub, but they are possibilities to consider somewhere along the line.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 363
jonathan,

go to eBay and search for Harman Audio, and get the best receiver you can afford for under $300 (probably an AVR-230). This is direct from Harman so you get the full manufacturer's warranty.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 490
That's a good idea...

JonathanH
Unregistered guest
Thank you all for the advice. I opted for a H/K ARV 235 for slightly less than $300 including shipping.

Now I just need new speakers, a sub, and about $500 to buy it all! It's amazing how easily scope-creep takes hold.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 432
jonathan,

add $150 to your budget and you can get a pair of Ascend 170s with a Hsu STF-1 sub bundled together at ascendacoustics.com and that should keep you happy for years to come rather than being a throw-away setup.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 527
That's a good idea... at least from what people say about 'em. I haven't heard them.

Username: Boba

New albany, Indiana Usa

Post Number: 2
do you absolutely have to have optical input? and do you have a need for stereo or surround? a person who is wanting to listen to music and is interested primarily in stereo there are some great units available from the 70s that were built with real quality. the Japanese models from those days were meant to compete with McIntosh. Sansui, Pioneer, and Luxman are always excellent choices and for $200 and sometimes less you can get something cost 8% to 12% of a new car price when new - or you could get something that would compare to a new item costing about $1500 or more today. It would be older. I do have some experience with these.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us