Need good 5.1 receiver/speakers/system for under $1500

Username: Erik

Post Number: 2
I am looking to buy a Home Theatre System for under $1500 speakers, DVD Players and all. I checked out a bunch of reviews on Epinions but then relized that they were all 4-5 years old! I need to buy this system fast...I am a big Audio guy much more than Movies so my Fronts and Center (LCR) is what I would want to invest in more than my rears. I also want to hook it up to my computer and Im thinkin between 60 and 100W.... I saw this same question in another thread with great answers but the question was answering for a 7.1 system and alot of molney was being invested in the rear speakers rather than the fronts?!? i guess since the poster was asking for a movie systm...
I was looking at the Denon AVR-2801 and am willing to spend the extra money for such a sysem but I will have to skimp out a little with the speakers---maybe something inbetween the 2801 and AVR-125?
AVR-130? AVR-97?
Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Cory

Canada

Post Number: 176
well do you like the sound of JBL?

Post Number: 3
I dont mind, I just want to get the biggest bang for my buck. The reviews seem to be dominated by Denon Avr's and such so thats what Im gonna pull outta the hat first.

Bronze Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 68
I'd look at the Marantz 7400 (new $650 shipped, accessories4less.com) or bid on one of the 339 Marantz 8400s being auctioned at ubid.com which I'm guessing will end up going for around $500-600 which is amazing since it normally retails for around $1300.

Marantz is OUTSTANDING if you're a music lover, especialy in this price range, and also good for HT too.

For speakers I'd buy the best LCR combo and subwoofer you can afford right now, then buy cheap rears much later on (unless you plan to listen to surround music SACDs or DVD-As).

My personal favorite for musical accuracy, transparency and naturalness are the Ascend speakers, go to ascendacoustics.com for their package deals with Hsu subwoofers which are extremely musical. But if you have to do local retail look into the Paradigm Monitor series too.

Post Number: 5
Im looking at the Ascend system as well and think thats what Im gonna go for. Im not sure whether or not to just only get the 340M and center or to just go all out and get the 2 rears as well. What do you think? is it better ro skimp out on the rear speakers and put that money towards a good reciever?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
You'll be EXTREMELY happy with the Ascends, they are an incredible bargain for the sound quality you get. Do a Google search and you'll find TONS of rave reviews on them from both pros and consumers. Really wonderful customer service too.

If you have a small or medium size room you should be fine with the CBM-170s as long as you put them on stands, but the 340 center is really worth the extra money.

Having quality rears IMO is only necessary if you plan on starting a DVD-A or SACD collection and listen to a lot of surround music. Otherwise for HT any cheap $100/pair bookshelves will do like the Polk R15s.

If this is primarily an HT system you don't really need a super-duper receiver, the $350 Pioneer 1014 will be more than adequate.

Where you want to make sure not to go cheap is the subwoofer---budget at least $400-600 for a good Hsu or SVS. I stupidly got a JBL e150, which I've never stopped regretting from day one.

On the Ascend website, check out the "System Advisor" page where you can get pretty nice bundle discounts of speakers and Hsu subwoofers.

Silver Member
Username: Cory

Canada

Post Number: 177
I agree that the Ascends will do wonders for you.

Edster if I may ask what was the problem with the JBL e150?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
The e150 basically is underpowered and does not go very low without buzzing/resonating.

I find that I constantly have to adjust the gain very carefully with different sources, it has a really narrow "sweet spot" above which it starts to get really boomy and distorted, and under which you can barely hear the darn thing.

Mikey Knight
Unregistered guest
Erik Vangeloff? Are you brothers with the infamous Kosta Vangeloff? Why don't you contact him...he knows this industry like the back of his hand. I think he charges $15/hour for consultation but I think it's worth it. My system he recommended blows any techno club I've been to away...and I got it all for under a grand. Good luck!

Mikey Knight
Unregistered guest
Erik Vangeloff? Are you brothers with the infamous Kosta Vangeloff? Why don't you contact him...he knows this industry like the back of his hand. I think he charges $15/hour for consultation but I think it's worth it. My system he recommended blows any techno club I've been to away...and I got it all for under a grand. Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us