Need Advice On Power Amp...


New member
Username: Orchestra

Foothill Ranch, California USA

Post Number: 1
Registered: Apr-05
Here's my set up folks:

Main: Paradigm Studio 60
Rear: Paradigm Studio 20
Center: Paradigm CC-470
Marantz SR-7500 Receiver

Problem: My set tends to be forward at times between the mid and the high. I am not talking about the midrange in fact that is the strength of the Paradigms. Details and imaging too no problems. When volume is cranked up they tend to be harsh and fatigued. Is that because I am using only a 105 watts receiuer?
Here's what I am looking for and what my budget allows.
- Max is $5,000
- I want an amp to tame the sound... I want it to be smoother even at high volumes.
- I am looking for a sound that makes your speakers seem to disappear. Is that possible with $5,000? I would prefer a BAT 6200 but my budget won't!!!
- Some bass and authority.
I listen to 60% music / 40% HT

Here are my choices
- Aragon 3005
- Parasoun Halo A51
- Lexicon CX5
- Lexicon LX5

Thanks in advance!!!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3310
Registered: May-04

Power, in terms of wattage is only 5% of what's wrong with your system. The other 95% is power supply. Ignore watts and go for sheer weight. Weight means lots of transformer and capacitor size; that's what's important. Buy a used McIntosh or a new Mac vacuum tube integrated. You will not regret the decision. Amplifiers&prodid=1092&product=MA2275


Bronze Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 56
Registered: Feb-05
Music Conductor: The choices for amps you have given are fine. Macintosh makes great gear but I would steer clear of tubes. The Parasound Halo is an outstanding solid state amp well reviewed by many and very heavy about 80lbs i think. You might also consider the Sherbournes, specifically the 7000 model at only about $3k will deliver 400 watts/rms through 7 channels into 4Ohms! At 115 pounds that should be heavy enough for just about everyone.For a good Non-audiophile no BS review of both the Parasound and the Sherbourne see E.Ramsey

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3349
Registered: May-04

Let Mr. Ramsey steer clear of tubes; give them a listen. You might like what you hear.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us