Question about Amps

Username: Baarybonds

Post Number: 1
I thought I posted my question the other day, but cant seem to find it on here. Anyway, I dont know much about audio systems and I know this is a dumb quesiton so please bare with me. Basically i want to know how to get more sets of speakers on my reciever. I only have 2 channels, 1 for my surround and 1 that is currently running to a set of ambient speakers in my family room. Id like to run the channel that is hooked to my ambient speakers to an amp so that I can add some book shelves and some wireless outdoor speakers to the same channel. Is this the correct usage of an amp? if not, then how do I get more sets of speakers hooked to my reciever

Post Number: 2
Crap...I just realized that my post from last night didnt "finalize"...oh well...first post

Username: Yako_9

Indianapolis , IN USA

Post Number: 1
i have a two channel 1200 watt american pro amp i want some subs don't matter if they are 12's or 15's i just want to be super hitting, thumping what ever you want to call it i want them to kno im coming from a block down ... but i want to kno what kind of speakers do you guys reccomend ...that'll handle the amp and wont burn out on me or just stop working on me .. cuz i just messed up some rockford fosgate punch z wit the same amp...

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 231
ivan why dont you double check where it is that you are posting this question. this is the home audio section. also, if you have a question start your own thread instead of jacking someone elses.
barry, i am not sure what kind of reciever you have. you use "surround" and "ambient" for two different sets of speakers when they are in essence the same thing. first i just want to clear something up. the word "channel" refers to how many different signals, speakers, the reciever out puts. if you have 4 speakers hooked up to a HT reciever than you are using 4 channels. if you are using a stereo reciever using both the A and B sets of speakers you are still only using 2 channels even though 4 speakers are being driven. i think you might need to give more information on your reciever so people have a much clearer idea of what your setup is. depending on the resitance of your speakers you might be able to get away with connecting the two sets of speakers in parallel and do something at the reciever for the wireless speakers. but i think we will need more information.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 134
the best thing you can do with a stereo amp is run A mains and B seconds. some amps will let you power all 4 speakers in A+B mode.

otherwise, it sounds like you might be asking abour TRUE surround sound which belongs in the home theater section.

Post Number: 3
Hey guys -
First, thanks for the responses. Lets see if i can expand this a bit. Here is what I have TX-DS474 onkyo reciever. Budget, you were right...i was mixing up A+B channels with the relationship to the speakers. let me rephrase. My reciever is A or B only...i know there is a name for this, but i forgot what its called..but essentially, I can run A or B but not both at the same time. Channel A activates my Rear Surround speakers, front center, sub, and Front A speaker outputs. I also have Left and Right front B speaker out puts. This is where I have my Family room cieling speakers hooked up...these are just for playing music when we are in the front of the house. NOW...since i just got a digital media streamer hooked up to my reciever, I have a much larger capcity for playing music so I would like to expand my system a bit. I want to add some medium sized bookshelf speakers and then some wireless outdoor speakers to that B channel output. What im thinking of doing is unplugging the ambient speakers from the B channel outputs....hooking those B channel outputs to an amplifier that will allow for more speakers to be run on that channel. is this the correct way of doing this??
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us