Sony receiver problems

Username: Raven28355

Post Number: 1
ok my sony reciever is like 3 years old model number str de835 , i left town for the night came home yesterday, and no audio works, none, for vcr,dvd,dss nothing ??? when i first cut it on it said prtector across the screen , but since then it only shows regular screens , the receiver acts normal, but no sound, i have not touched anything ,and its worked like it has for 3 years no problems . anyone know if i need a new receiver or could be a wire problem . its hooked to surge prtector also . everything else that is hooked to surge protector are working fine. anyone help ?????/ its hooked to powered sub also . im not buying a new one unless its dead. i hope someone can help me with it . thanks raven

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 427
Heck, I dont know...

double check your connections, and if that isnt it.....

drop it off somewhere local to get looked at.

Username: Raven28355

Post Number: 2

Paul
Silver Member

Posted on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 01:21 am:
Heck, I dont know...

ok ummm , ive often wondered this maybe you can help me . why is it on all message boards to get alitle info in a topic has folks like you typing to see yourself type ??? i mean honestly if you dont know then ignore the thread . why post that crap ? rather just keep on surfing.

anyone else with some contructive help ??

r

Silver Member
Username: Kano

What he said is essentually correct, although I can understand why you wouldn't want to take advice from a post that begins, "Heck, I don't know.."

After 3 years it is not unreasonable that your unit needs servicing.

Make sure there's no shorts in any of your connections or along any of the cable runs. Next try a reset - you should be able to find out how by doing a search. Otherwise, you need to get it serviced.

Only Mike
Unregistered guest
Try unplugging it and leave it unplugged for about 1/2 hour to clear the capacitors.

Silver Member

Post Number: 429
Raven,

The only point I was trying to make that absolutely nobody can troubleshoot your receiver based on "it quit working".........
Did you expect somebody to know whats wrong based on 'its broke'???
What other advice is there other than double check your connections, and then drop it off to get serviced??

I was trying to be polite by NOT telling you that it was a stupid question. I see these questions a lot, and they always give me a laugh........

They usually go like this.....
Anonymous poster:"Hey everybody, I have a 13 year old 60" projection TV that's broke. Can you tell me whats wrong or how to fix it?"

You have two choices after checking your connections......

1. Drop it off for an estimate.

2. Based on the estimate, either get it fixed, or toss it in the garbage and buy new.

If it's a cheap receiver(<$400), I'd probably just toss it in the trash without bothering to get it looked at. IMO, anything under $400 is disposable and should be thrown away.

Polcolor
Unregistered guest
There is serious problem with your receiver probably.
I own TV&VCR shop and I got Sony receiver for fix.
I changed couple bad transistors and still not fixed.
Loose connection cause blow out many parts.
Not worth to fix these days I am closing my shop.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Raven,

If I had to guess I'd say your receiver fried due to a power surge.

Fixing it can easily cost up to half or more of the price of replacing it plus the hassle of shipping it or dropping it off and having nothing for a week or two, and never knowing just how good of a "fix" it got. In your shoes I'd gladly use this as an excuse to get a much better receiver.

Mainly, JVC RX-F10 all digital for $230 shipped from amazon.com, Pioneer 1014 for $400 shipped from jandr.com, even a $200 Onkyo 502 from ecost.com

And a good surge protector would help too.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Raven,

If I had to guess I'd say your receiver fried due to a power surge.

Fixing it can easily cost up to half or more of the price of replacing it plus the hassle of shipping it or dropping it off and having nothing for a week or two, and never knowing just how good of a "fix" it got. In your shoes I'd gladly use this as an excuse to get a much better receiver.

With all due respect to your newly departed Sony, there's a hell of a lot better receivers out there for not much more money. Some suggestions: JVC RX-F10 all digital for $230 shipped from amazon.com, or Pioneer 1014 for $400 shipped from jandr.com would be especially good for the money.

And a good surge protector would help too.

Bronze Member
Username: Jet2001

Post Number: 11
I have the same receiver...that "protect" warning shuts down the machine for a couple of different reasons. The most common is that you have some speaker wire crossed and you have confused it so to speak. Another reason could be a power surge. The last way it comes on has happened to me once while watching movies all weekend...the unit overheated. The last one doesn't make sense because you were out for a while before you turned it on...so I'd check the speaker wire before anything else.

If you find nothing, then these guys have given you good advice...take it to you closest Sony repair shop.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us