Noob trying to narrow down receiver choices at $700

Anonymous

After browsing this forum for 2+ weeks I have decided to post regarding a new receiver purchase. I'm looking for an A/V reciever in the $700 price range. I listen to about 60/40% HT/music. Here are the ones I'm thinking about:

Marantz 6400 - I was actually about to buy this unit until I heard about all the problems with audio dropouts and heat.

Integra DTR 5.4 - I haven't read too much praise on the Integra units, some people even calling them very flat and unexciting. I can pick up this unit for $529 at a local shop. (It looks great though)

Yamaha RX-v1400 - Heard about the tendency for Yamaha to be great for HT but just average for music. As a long time Sony owner, I'm really looking for a warm sounding unit, and I've been told that Yamaha might not be it.

Denon AVR 2803 - Same as above.

NAD T743 - This is the only unit I haven't physically heard in person. I have no NAD dealers in my area. I've read the praises about NAD, but I've also read about the problems. I dunno.

H/K - I know they get high praise, but I'm not crazy about the way they look. I really need black.

My setup is a little unorthodox, due to the wife and the limitations of my room. I am currently using:

Sony STR-DE835 Reciever
Klipsch SC-1 Center
Klipsch KG2 fronts (I absolutely love these for 2 channel audio)
Klipsch KSW-12 Sub

I run the Sony in enhanced mode to make up for the lack of rears (my room and wife will not allow them).

I know about the Klipsch/Yamaha/Denon deal in regards to brightness, and I am in no way married to these speakers. I was actually thinking of purchasing the Klipsch Refrence line for HT. I really need a neutral receiver, good for music and HT, that I can use my current setup and any future upgrades I mught do.

Totally confused....

Anonymous

Oh yea, one more thing. Klipsch website says the KG2's are 4 ohm speakers. 4 ohm Klipsch? Is this a misprint?

Bronze Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Post Number: 39
If you want Black h/k, buy last year's model at a reduced price. That's whant I did. There are still some refurb AVR-525 to be had cheaply (I got a 325, but that's below your budget!).

Bronze Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 15
Do you know the right size and weight for T743? NAD homepage says it's 17 1/8 x 5 3/16 x 13 13/16, 435x132x350mm and 36lbs, 16.35kg. The manual says it's bigger and lighter: 17 1/8 X 5 15/16 x 15 3/8, 435x150x390 and 29.3lbs, 13.3kg. Which is correct?

Also i cant find information about T743's and T753's DAC's? Are they 96/24 or 192/24? Does any NAD support DTS 96/24 decoding?

Then some peculiarities with Marantz's specs. SR4400 is 17 5/16 x 6 7/16 x 14 3/8 and 27.6lbs, while it's bigger brothers SR5400 and SR6400 are 17 5/16 x 6 7/16 x 16 7/16 (18 1/4 incl.spk term & vol knob) and 26.5lbs. They are a lot deeper and lighter. Why is that?

I'am also a long time Sony owner (DE635) and from my new receiver I would like more punch, detail and warmer tone. My speakers are datailed and quite neutral, but with a little emphasized highs/treble and mid-highs. They're all 8ohm. I listen 60/40 music/HT.

I can get T743, SR5400 (from online shop), AVR325 (online) and AVR330 for about same price. Wich way to go?

Anon: Denon AVR2803 is very low power and quite cold tone. It has very smooth frequency response, but I wouldn't go that way anyway.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 241
To match your Klipsch I would look at the Marantz you mentioned, the H/K 430 and the Elite 53. These are the best sonically with Klipsch and will help tame the brightness and smooth them out very nicely. You need a warm receiver with Klipsch and these are the warmest brands available.

Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 9
The dimensions for the T743 on the NAD website is correct. The compact size of the unit, especially the 13 13/16" depth was one of the reasons I bought it. The dimensions are for the case and doesn't include all the appendages, knobs and such.

I also have Klipsch KG3.5 for my stereo system. The Klipsch speakers are best mated with warm-sounding receivers. Tubes or tube-like amps are the best I've heard with Klipsch horns. In my set-up, I've got an Audio Analogue amp powering the Klipsch, which sounds wonderful to my ears. I haven't actually tried the NAD receiver with the Klipsch speakers (I'm using KEF sat/sub speakers with the NAD for my HT). My guess is Marantz, H/K and possibly NAD AV receivers would sound good with Klipsch speakers. The Klipsch speakers are also very sensitive so you won't need a powerful receiver to drive them.

Anonymous

Me again. I just found an H/K AVR 7200 on line for $830 shipped. A little more than I wanted to spend, but it sounds like a killer deal (and it's black).

I'm assuming H/K will match well with Klipsch. If you have the 7200, please let me know of any shortcomings.

Bronze Member
Username: Afrogt

Post Number: 11
The only shortcomings of the 7200 is that its very heavy, 60lbs and it runs a little hot. If you have it in open space and a sturdy shelf, you'll be fine.

It should sound great with the Klipsch, its warm sound balancing out the brightness of the speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Sbull

Post Number: 20
I'll throw my 2 cents in and go along with the realelitefan on the Elite 53, especially if you're thinking of upgrading someday to the Klipsch Reference line. I have the Elite 55, which is essentially the same as the 53, driving the RF-7's and it's an awesome combination. Also have the matching surround counterparts. I've found the Elite components to be VERY user-friendly (remote, menus), which is a big plus in my book.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us