Aperion 422 $799 System

Username: Justme123

Post Number: 1
Has anyone previewed this system?

I am looking to setup a HT system in a smaller living room (14/12) using the Yamaha RX-V1500 to a JVC LCOS unit.

Comments?

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 313
I wouldnt recommend buying anything that you havnt listened to first. What sounds good to one person, might sound entirely different to you.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your input! I agree for the most part, but it would be a bit difficult with Aperion being on-line only.

That, and after several years working on jets, I could hardly consider myself an audiophile LOL!

Silver Member

Post Number: 324
If that's the case, I wouldnt throw away money on audiophile speakers.

You could probably find something that fits your taste perfectly for a lot less. The key is to listen to them in person. If you dont have a critical and picky ear, there are many great options out there at a reasonable price.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Since Aperion's website states that THEY will pay the return shipping fee this is truly a no-lose proposition. Why not?

I'd be very curious to hear what you think of them, I don't hear much about Aperion, the two Internet brands that seem to get the most buzz are Axiom and Ascend, neither of which have any package anywhere near this price point.

And BTW, $800 for a 5.1 speaker setup is *far* from "audiophile speakers"---hopefully you'll be getting some decent "mid-fi" performance, which is about all that most people really need anyway.

I'd be curious to hear how these compare to say a Polk 5.1 setup:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Polk-Home-Theater-Speaker-System-RM6800-/sem/rpsm /oid/108690/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

A friend of mine who used to work at a specialty audio store guesstimated that 90% of people who spend the really big bucks for true "audiophile" equipment are motivated by ego more than extra-sensitive eardrums. I'd probably ditto that for most luxury items: fine wine, fine dining, etc.

Silver Member

Post Number: 336
edster is right....

It's a no lose proposition. It's definitely a different way of shopping, and nothing wrong if you decide to take that route.

To me, buying something on the web will most likely result in something good enough, and be a product that you'll keep.

I'll try to classify two different ways of shopping....

On one hand, you have the 'good enough' shopper who orders product off the web, without comparing with other models. They look at lots of brocures and pick whatever looks most impressive on paper. Once the speakers arrive, they'll either be 'good enough', and keep the speakers, or they'll be unhappy and return them to the manufacturer for a full refund.

I fall into the 'sounds best' camp. I prefer to listen to a lineup, so I can compare and contrast various speakers, and then choose what 'sounds best'.

There is nothing wrong with 'good enough' shopping, and most likely you will be satisfied with your choice.

For me, good enough simply isnt.....good enough.

make sense?

If I cant hear it first to compare with others, I wont consider that model as an option. Heck, Im sure all the internet speakers are 'good enough', but that's not what Im interested in.

Post Number: 3
Thanks edster!

I think we're on the same page. I have listened to a friends Polk system, another's Klipsch and truthfully, couldn't tell the difference other than Bass tone. And as you say, since it's on their nickle both ways, I'm thinking it's a "why not".

edster922
Unregistered guest
JM,

If you have a credit card, this is what I'd do: order the Aperion setup and when it arrives, go out and buy the Polk and Klispch systems on your credit card from some place like Circuit City that doesn't charge a restocking fee. Then you can compare ALL three systems at YOUR house with YOUR components...there is no better way to truly tell what you like. In a shop the listening room's accoustics, receiver/amp, and source may be VERY different from what you have at home.

Then, if you choose you can just take back the Klipsch and Polk to the store and get your credit card refunded, or keep one of them and ship back the Aperion.

Silver Member

Post Number: 338
C'mon edster,

Lets return to the real world here.

I have a suggestion, why not buy three complete home theater systems including three 60" TVs.(1 plasma, 1DLP, 1CRT) Afterall, how can you accurately judge picture quality if not placed in your home viewing environment??? Let's not forget to buy three receivers and DVD players too. Also, you should buy three sets of speakerwires and cabling to make sure you get the 'best sounding' cables.

Enough of this bogus audiophile garbage, and lets come back to reality.......

If you cant listen to a speaker in person, in any environment, and not be able to accurately evaluate and judge exactly what you're getting, I recommend you buy cheap $30 speakers off ebay because your hearing is so extremely 'non-critical', you obviously couldnt tell the difference in quality anyway.

Please, lets return to reality!! Heck, you could build a darn showroom outdoors in the middle of an open field, and I could still compare speakers and know exactly what I was getting, and easily determine the best set for my personal needs.

Would you please ease off the internet-speaker brocure 'propaganda' and come back to reality. You are so utterly off the deepend, I dont know what else to say. Yea, Im sure everybody buys three complete sets of speakers and brings them home because you cant properly evaluate them otherwise.......sheesh.

Varit
Unregistered guest
I bought Orb Audio speakers online and couldn't have been happier w/ the purchase. If you are willing to give up the in-store demo, which your speakers won't sound like at home anyhow, you really can save a lot of money. I can't speak to the quality of the Aperion system, but the Orb system is $699, right in the same prie range, and sounds better than systems that are at least double that price. So, I'm a big fan of the online business model and recommend you don't let that be a hang up for you here.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for everyone's input!

Now, back to the original question: Anyone out there had a listen to the 422 system?

Thanks in Advance!

edster922
Unregistered guest
Jumping from speakers to 60" TVs, ROTFLMAO...Paul, oh Paul oh Paul, you stubborn old coot---you have a PhD in Overgeneralizing, don't you? All this because you're just too darn lazy to simply put a couple of speakers back into their boxes and ship them back...in Aperion's case, on THEIR dime!

I guess you'd be too darn lazy to take them another few pairs back to a store too if they didn't sound right at home, wouldn't you?

You seriously imagine that you really can tell how speakers will sound in your home based on how they sound in some cavernous showroom floor running off of a totally different receiver/amp and CD player than what you have at home...ha ha ha ha! Oh I forgot, Paul's aural memory is infallible.

I feel confident in guessing that even if you found a pair of speakers in a shop that DID meet your precious 1970s' Cerwin Vega standards and they sounded much worse once you took them home and hooked them up to your equipment---you'd STILL swear up and down that they were the best darn speakers on the planet, wouldn't you?

oh well, whatever floats your little boat... ; )

brramer57
Unregistered guest
I am considering the aperion 422 and the orbs.
I just can't make up my mind. I should order both at the same time and try them out.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Yes! That way you'll never wonder "what if...?"

Unregistered guest
Just me, I just ordered the 422s today. Like mentioned in a previous post you can't lose since they pay for the return shipping. They also have a cable special running until the end of the month. They give you a $150 cable kit; which includes plugs, wire cutters, etc and a 100ft of Monster speaker cable. I can't wait to receive them. Do the online chat with them, they will answer your questions. I spent over an hour with the guy. Great customer service. Hopefully, the speakers will be worth the $799.

http://www.aperionaudio.com/reviews/422_ch_detail.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us