H/k AVR-325 video for second zone?

Bronze Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Post Number: 33
Hi all,

I have not yet received my h/k AVR 325, but looking at the manual and back panel connections I can't see a video signal distributed to a second zone. Does anyone know?

It would be nice if I could use the receiver as a video switch to send a signal from either my PVR, DVD or VCR to a second zone. I could also achieve this using a VCR output from the receiver, but not while watching something different in the main room.

I was going to send the composite video and audio to an RF modulator to distribute the signal on coax throughout the house. I wondered if the receiver could do the switching for me, especially since it has a second zone remote control.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 207
Peter: Introduction Page 3!

The AVR 325 includes a sophisticated multizone control system that allows you to select one source for use in the main room and a different source for audio and video distribution to a second zone.

You send video to a second zone by attaching the Video Out of one of the Video Output (VID 1,2,3) to the second zone.

The confusing part is they don't say that they switch or are capable of having a different video source playing in the main room versus the remote (2nd zone). The wording is the same for the AVR-525. This leads me to believe that the video is whatever is selected in the main listening room, while the audio can be any selected input.

Confusing! The certainly beat around the bush.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Thanks geekboy,

So you don't have one of these units and looked at the manual?

The manual is not very clear. The second zone remote does have buttons for VCR and DVD, so I presume there's a way to view them! However even the hook-up pages don't mention video out to the second zone.

The manual also says you can't view the menus when using component video, and I was hoping to only use component video. The manual also says it doesn't upconvert S-video to component but an owner (Chris) says it does in an archived thread. Weird. I guess I'll have to test these things when I actually have it in hand.

Do you guys hook up all the DVD video feeds at the same time (RCA composite, S-Video, component) just so the output to each format is functional?

When the digital audio is connected, does one also connect the stereo RCA connections?

Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 208
Peter: I do have the H/K AVR-525 and read the manual and looked at the back again. I also read the H/K AVR-325 manual for comparison. The manuals are virtually the same.

There isn't a clear definition on this, of course. The manual is vague but from what I can tell, my previous post is acurate.

Do I hook up all feeds... yes. Because not all can be passed to other devices. For example, my ReplayTV doesn't take Component Video In, but it does have progressive 480p Component Video Out (upscales). I run one of my DVD players through the ReplayTV when I want it on my Media Network (to be able to watch from anywhere in the house or on any computer in the house).

I also connect both Digital Audio and the RCA Connectors. Most of the time, this is to defeat the DSP modes as I like to listen to CDs in 2-Channel Stereo and if I use my Sony NS725P, it seems to downmix to DD and not let me select SURROUND OFF (Stereo Direct)! Annoying, but I have one of my DVD players connected to VID 3, OPTICAL 2, and CD (RCA/Stereo). The Sony I have connected by Optical to OPTICAL 1 and to DVD Audio IN (RCA/Stereo).

Regarding the OSD and Component... yup, you can't see ANY OSD functions... including volume, menus, and selection when over component. Most of the receivers do this (including the B&K 507) because there aren't really good character generators that you can fit into those boxes that won't affect the Progressive Scan output! I hate it too, but I understand the reason. If the high-end B&K 507 does it to, I'm not complaining!

Also, the system doesn't upscale (convert) S-Video to Component. At least I can't see that it does! I'll have to try again when I get home. I am using just about all of the Video inputs on this box.. all of the optical inputs... and the CD input. I have 3 devices which do component video out, but it will only switch 2 (I have ReplayTV (480p), HDTV Cable (1080i), and Sony NS725-P Progressive Scan DVD (480p).)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Hey geekboy! Thanks for the detailed description!
I'll know who to ask for questions. :-)

I'll lookup the archived post that said it did upscale S-video to component, but obviously I'd like you to confirm or deny if you can do so.

Thanks!

Username: Afrogt

Post Number: 10
I have the 325 and it doesn't upscale S-video to component.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
The 325 doesn't upscale S-video to component.

Well, that's what the manual says. What do you make of the 3rd posts from the bootom in this thread:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/6203.html

?

Silver Member

Post Number: 210
Peter: I'll have to check when I get home. I know that my HDTV Cable Box is connected to my AVR-525 via Component Video and then to my ReplayTV via S-Video. I can't see my HDTV Cable through the Component Video when I have it selected (for the ReplayTV -- on Video 2). I'll double check.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Thanks geekboy,

But if I understand correctly, that would be downmixing component to S-video which is perhaps not the same as splitting S-video into component?

I guess my question is: If you select an S-Video input and feed your monitor via comaponent, can you see the S-video input on the component ouput?

Thanks!

I just got an email saying that my receiver has cleared customs in ontario. A few more days and it should be here. :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Afrogt

Post Number: 12
" guess my question is: If you select an S-Video input and feed your monitor via component, can you see the S-video input on the component ouput?
"

The answer is no, that what upconversion does, and its not available on the 325. Also, the on screen display (OSD) doesn't work via component video. Not an issue for me but it might be for you.

I tested many of the 325's features pretty extensively when I first got it, but don't use many of them anymore.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Thanks AfroGT,

Yes I know that would be upconversion! :-) But note the post I referenced above that said it did do that!

Ah well, I'll either keep switching video inputs on the TV (perhaps creating a few learning remote macro commands) or see if the DVD fed through the receiver in S-video looks degraded compared to a direct component connection. I must admit I didn't really see a difference between the DVD connected to the TV via S-video or via component, but more testing is in order.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us