Does it matter what receiver you use with what speakers

Username: Lexuscruiser

Bothell, Wa United States

Post Number: 5
uhh im pretty sure it does not matter what receiver you use with what speaker but I like to over think everything so that I can get a home run instead of only making it part way and getting struck out by some ball or another

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 371
Yes it does - some receivers have a warmer sound -
Marantz, Pioneer, Harman Kardon, some are neutral - Denon, NAD, B&K, Onkyo, and some can be bright - Yamaha (although I've heard the newest models are more neutral).

Speakers also share these characteristics. For example Paradigm, Ascend, tend to be warm, B&W, are neutral, and Athena, Infinity are bright, just to name a few.

Depending on how you like your system to sound, I'd recommend pairing Warm/Bright or Warm/Neutral or Bright/Neutral. Warm/Warm might be too flat with not enough detail, and at the other end of the scale, a bright combination, while revealing and detailed, can lead to listener fatigue and overbearing highs.

While it's not always possible to hear receiver speaker combinations before purchase, by gathering information about how the components interact with each other, you can have an idea of what sounds good or bad together.

What products are you considering?

edster922
Unregistered guest
You think the Ascends are warm? I have the 340s with a Marantz 5400 and they sound very neutral to me, plenty detailed...

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 392
Jabroni

Yes, the combination makes a difference. After all, you're not just listening to one or other item are you? Have a good look on the internet to build a picture of what combinations get recommended. Then you'll be in a better position to make a good decision. That said, if you go down to a dealer they'll also be able to guide you. They stock kit that they believe works together well. If you can get a demo of the combinations they suggest, then you'll get a much better idea of which combinations may suit you.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: 1st61

Post Number: 83
What's exactly warm, neutral and bright in here? Any other similar descriptions on this matter?

Bronze Member
Username: Tevo

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 77
The audiophile lexicon:

http://www.stereophile.com/reference/50/index.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us