Thiel PCS's for $3,000?

Username: Timinlex

Post Number: 10
$3,000 seems steep for a 19" high 2 way mini monitor, when their entry level floorstander, the CS1.6, is $2,360.

(Reference 3A MM DiCapio's are $2,500. New B&w 805's are $2,500 also. Sonus Faber Concerto's are $1,900.)

Anybody out there with a good value explanation. Just curious.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 103
it is because the thiel PCS in effect, have a point source midrange-tweeter configuration, where the CS1.6 do not. The PCS monitors are a 3 way, while the 1.6 are a 2 way.

the price on these fabulous speakers is not out of reason, as the Wilson Audio Cub, which is a 2 way monitor, is priced at $10,000
(mind you, this is their least expensive speaker pair)

gavin

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
not only that...thiels are considered among the cutting edge among the high end market. As such, the prices will be slightly higher than their competition.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks Gavin. I live less than 5 miles from Thiel, and am trying to talk myself into it, in part because they're a local company.

The rest of my system is pretty Mid-Fi (Integra AVR, Denon 2910 Univeral Player), and I'm thinking the Thiels may not be forgiving. In the Sterophile review, the guy needed Ultra expensive speaker wire to make them really bloom.

Thinking B&W 805's may be more forgiving. Wondering why their price was jacked up $500 recently as well? No diamond tweeter in the 805.

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
try the 1.6 then, they are absolutly AWESOME speakers!!!!!!!

provided, you have room for a small set of floorstanders.

give thiel a call and see if the 1.6 will perform ok with that equipment. I have heard the 2190 paired up with MartinLogan, and it will give you much better sound than you think it will.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Gavin, Thanks.

Floorstanders are pretty much out in a small HT room. The built- in's are 24" deep, covered w/ black cloth, and open in the back, so acoustics should be decent.

(If I adjusted the shelves to the max, I could SQUEEZE a 35.5" tall CS 1.6 into a 36" space, but think the PCS's would be a better fit.) Good idea to call Thiel. Just tring to justify the price delta.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us