Subwoofer placement vs using Eq settings

Par
Unregistered guest
I have a very limited amount of space to work with in my living room for subwoofer placement so I'm limited as to where I can place a subwoofer. What I'm thinking is if I should consider a subwoofer with an on board bass management example infinity's R.A.B.O.S. when purchasing a sub instead of just going for maximum low frequence SLP's. My fear is I could spend my budget on a quality SVS or HSU sub and be disappointed due to my inability to place it in a good location.

Thanks for your time
Par

Bronze Member
Username: Shokhead

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 58
Whats wrong with the recievers bass management? Pretty hard not to find a place to put a SVS cylinder series.

Par
Unregistered guest
Well I only have one corner where I can place the sub... (Not willing to drill more holes in my hardwood floor) So from reading others posts heard many talk about subs having frequencys either drop out or having large peaks based on placement. Where as I've read reviews that talk about Eq setting on the back of the sub being able to over come a bad placement. My rational is I'd hate to spend $470 on a pb10-isd and hate the way it sounds in the corner due to lack of places to put it.

Bronze Member

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 59
Ask SVS and you could alway return it if it doesnt work out. Drill holes for what? Why a EQ on the sub?

Par
Unregistered guest
The living room in my house is a bit of a challenge in that one short wall has a stairway going up, the other short wall has a fireplace, one long wall has a bay window with a radiator in front of it, and the other long wall has the enertainments center speakers etc...
The wall where the stereo, speakers, and tv is located has an opening into a hallway on the right side of that wall and the wall to the left side has the fire place there so both don't lend themselves well to running a cable along the floor. The room is 15.5' x 12.5' x 8' so it's not very large to start with so with my furniture in it that leaves only one spot for the subwoofer. The other thing that has me concerned is with hardwood floors in the room I think there would be little to dampen the sound waves which also might be a reason to put more wieght on subs that allow some more tweaking for the room respounce.

As for the Sub Eq from what I'd read you can tweak the subs settings to get closer to a flat frequency respounce without having to actually go through mulitple locations while trying to figure out which one provided the most flat frequency respounce.

"Infinity's Room-Adaptive Bass Optimization System (RABOS), which includes a sound-level meter, a test disc, and instructions, greatly improves the SW-12's ability to cope with room interactions, which can make any sub sound louder or softer at certain frequencies."

In a situation where I know I'll be placing a subwoofer in the corner between the stereo and the fireplace. Was wondering if for my money I'd not be better off purchasing a sub that I could tweak the respounce via it's EQ levels since I won't be able to move the subwoofer around.

Par

Bronze Member

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 60
Put the sub on a throw rug. Imo,the eq is not something i'd spend money on but thats me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us