Can anyone suggest a DVD Player which does Audio CD REALLY well?

Anonymous

Hi,

My main consideration in buying a DVD player is how it SOUNDS with ordinary CDs. Why? Because I listen to music much more often than I watch films, own the cheapest of tellies and don't much care about multi-region, and I'm sure there's a hack out there now for just about any player these days.

Currently using an 'El-Cheapo' Toshiba at the moment I picked up in a Pound store, but since I only have one output left on the amp, I need a DVD player to do double duty, rather than two seperate units. It's really the Tosh which is letting the side down, soundwise with the lovely old NAD I'm using for amplification.

And how much should it cost? Around £100 or less. I can't warrant spending any more than this on either a CD or DVD player at the moment, since the amp only cost £25 (doesn't make it any less a good audio set up though and wouldn't exchange it for anything else at a higher price, even if it were given to me free, unless it was another NAD!).

So - any ideas? Any links to or personal reviews on good players that do CD audio well enough to warrant paying more than £30 quid would be most appreciated, to say the least.

Oh and did I say.... it's really GOT TO BE BLACK! Why? Silver looks so nasty.

Thanks in anticipation.

Bronze Member
Username: Shokhead

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 17
Any good middle of the road DVD player will do cd's fine. The new Yamaha C750 does and also will play DVD-A and SACD's

Anonymous

To be honest I've been looking at the NAD T513 for around £130.

The problem as I'm led to understand it, is that middle of the road DVD players don't normally play CDs as well, musically speaking as dedicated CD players.

I'm not sure why this is, it's just what I've been hearing.

What are DVD-A and SACD?

Bronze Member

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 22
Not true imo.

Anonymous

Well, I'm glad you say that, DS. Many people have said the opposite, but it's hard to test that evidence without actually listening. Then, it's difficult to know if something is right for you in the shop. Being at home with it for a while allows you to really find out and the only way to do that is to buy the gear.

I suppose if I buy a good quality DVD player (not a £30 cheapo) from a reputable make which is known for sound quality, it will be as good as the dedicated players they also make?

I mean - I don't see why it shouldn't. It'll save me money to do this.

Thanks anyway

Bronze Member

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 23
With DVD-A and SACD the audio should be even better and cd players are going to die,imo

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 583
Well, chaps - may I humbly recommend the Yamaha S1500 - it's BLACK and this DVD/CD player was designed from the paper on up for sound first, video second.

I've got the 5770 - same unit, only silver - and have been enjoying it for several months now. It does a superb job with SACDs and CDs - and the video is clean and crisp.

My only gripes with the player is that it starts a disc playing after you insert it - unless, of course, you hit "stop." Minor nag-point.

The second gripe is that it takes about 17 seconds to initially "read" a disc before it will play. Seventeen seconds can seem like a long time. But once the thing fires up - the wait was worth it! I got in several hours of auditioning other brands, and found that - for my $359 - it was the best around. I personally don't think you can beat it for less than about $800. Just my opinion, of course!

Anonymous

Am looking for a quality "universal" player (ie CDs, DVDs, SACD, DVD-A, etc) around $1000 that is excellent on both video and audio. Would prefer HDMI output. Am considering Pioneer 59AVi. Any others to recommend?

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 456
The Denon 2910 meets all your requirements for well under a grand. You should check it out before you spring for the Pioneer.

Anonymous

I'm afraid I have never seen an SACD anywhere yet. Everywhere I buy music seems to still sell CDs.what is the difference and anyone know when they will be available in shops in the UK?

Bronze Member

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 31
Dont need to spend a 1000 bucks. Most places have multi-channel audio in different sections.

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 328
Amazon UK has sections where you can buy SACD and DVD-A albums, that's a place to start. I've found it worthwhile even to order here from Spain.

Cheers
AL

Bronze Member
Username: Froggy

Post Number: 23
I have a Denon 3910 that sounds really good on CD music, I'm running it through a Denon 4802R, Angstrom towers and Kef Monitors for the rear the sub is a 12in Paridigm.

I'm really pleased with this system.

Bronze Member
Username: Canuckinapickle

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 31
I don't own one but I'd love to eventually get a NAD T562 or T533. Both provide incredible cd playback as well as DVD. Remeber NAD is more of a music/hi-fi company than home theatre, so CD playback is important to them. It also includes an HDCD decoder which is nice although HDCDs are rarely made anymore you probably will find some in your collection are already encoded for it.

Bronze Member
Username: Blazer

Post Number: 35
How does the T533 do with CD playback compared to the C542?

Bronze Member
Username: Canuckinapickle

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 54
The C542 is a dedicated Hi-Fi component. While I have not heard the T533 playback CDs I'd imagine it is not going to be of the same quality as a C542 or C541i player. Nevertheless, it is NAD and it is probably a better CD player than most DVD players are simply because NAD is a 'music first' company.

Bronze Member
Username: Agimat

Post Number: 76
Try Cambridge Audio Azur 540D

Username: Dr_audio

Post Number: 3
If you want top notch sound in all formats, go with the Denon DVD 3910. Top quality parts in both video and audio with upsampling and noise reduction on CD's. Compare with players costing much more. Including Denon's own 5910 for $3900.
Includes HDCD for many wonderful discs recorded in that format. HDMI and firewire ouputs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us