Subwoofer input voltage/frequency

Username: Legolas

Israel

Post Number: 1
Hello fellows,

I need an advice about Klipsch RW-10 sub. I am considering to purchase this sub in US because it is VERY expensive in my country (item price in US($330)+oversea shipping(~150$)+taxes(~$100) vs. $1100 at my local retailer). But there is a little problem - the input voltage and the frequency. Klipsch is not selling the export type (220V/50Hz) of it's products inside US. So I have not many choices:
1. To purchase 110V/60Hz version and to use additional transformer (there is no problem with voltage transformation, but the frequency...) I don't know how this sub's input transformer is built and I am not sure that it's own transformer can handle 50Hz instead of 60Hz.
2. There is a possibility, that Klipsch produces only one type of product that match all types of input voltages/frequencies. (In this case it is enough just to open the case and to switch some jumper)
3. To purchase this sub locally and to stay unsatisfied from very beginning ;)

Any advice will be appreciated.
Thank you all in advance.
Stanislav

Israel

Post Number: 2
Please, help...

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Transformers will adjust the voltage to the appropriate levels. The problem with this approach is the size of the transformer. Most voltage adaptor transformers are meant for reasonably low current draw from a small aplliance. If you use this type transformer on a powered subwoofer which will draw many amps of current from the wall outlet, there is the good posibility you will not be happy with the restrictions placed on the circuit by the small transformer. Look at the current draw of the subwoofer and the current limitations of the transformer. If the former exceeeds the latter, you will probably have problems.

The frequency of the AC is not a concern in an amplifier. Only when you are using an item such as a synchronous motor which locks onto the frequency for its speed stability would you be concerned about frequency.

I would suggest you contact Klipsch for all the information you will require.

Israel

Post Number: 3
Thank you for answering, J.
I understand what are you talking about. Obviously, this transformer must be able to handle at least subwoofer's nominal power. There is a big transformer (~8x8x8 in.), but the problem is a FREQUENCY. If subwoofer's internal power transformer (a part of internal power supply) built exactly for 60Hz 110V input voltage, it will fall into satturation for 50Hz 110V input voltage (50Hz transformer on 20% bigger from 60Hz one). Another problem in this case - the LP filter (also a part of sub's internal power supply). If the bandwidth of this LP calculated and built exactly for 60Hz input sin, it may pass some part of 50Hz component fron my network and cause undesirable noise.
Generaly I agree with you that "the frequency of the AC is not a concern in an amplifier", but in power supplies it is.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Then I suggest you buy something other than the Klipsch.

Israel

Post Number: 4
No way ;)

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Then why did you ask in the first place?

Israel

Post Number: 5
J. I really appreciate your help.
I just hope that somebody will help me with this specific technical issue. And no matter which good brand sub I'll choose - it will cost at least twice here.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

I would suggest you contact Klipsch for all the information you will require.

Username: Miso

Slovakia

Post Number: 2
in u.s. you can buy transformer ,which is built exactly for these kind of connections
(huge power supply) from 500w-3000w,i have one exactly for sub and very satissfied,costs around 100dollarsand up,but its the only way how not to by dissapointed in the end.(or make it yourself)

Israel

Post Number: 6
Thanks Miso,
This is exactly what I going to do, but first I'll chesk the sub's power suply (it may be universal, with some 110/220 jumper inside).
Just one thing... I think that for Klipsch RW-10
500W transformer is enought.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us