Amp questions

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 16
I am fairly new to the high end equipment and I have a few questions concerning amps. I plan on purchasing an amp to power my Klipsch rf35's, rc35 & rs35's for HT.
I have been considering an Aragon amp probably a 5channel. However I came across a Sunfire amp for a cheaper price. I noticed that the sunfire has connections "current source" and "voltage source". I'm pretty sure I can get pretty close price wise, but I don't know how to choose an amp.
I have been told that high current runs woofers better while high voltage runs tweeters better. Is this true?

I will be using a pioneer vsx-d811s as a preamp for the system if that matters at all.

Thanks in advance
chris

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Have you been told also that big woofers produce deeper bass response than smaller drivers? It is, on its face, a lie also. Too many myths exist in audio that are used to sell a product to an uninformed public by an uninformed sales staff.

Current is needed to make the most of a large low frequency driver if there is a wide swing in the impedance of the entire circuit. Back electromotive force is overcome by higher amounts of current is a good general rule. These both relate to the basic principle of output resistance to input resistance, a matter of Ohm's Law. Throw in impedance, which few salespeople can explain, and you have a situation ripe with dishonesty, whether intended or not. But, rules are there to be broken not made to fit one's agenda.
Voltage does one thing in an amplifier and a speaker while current has a different task to accomplish. Whether your system will need one or the other is a function of matching components. A speaker with a fairly benign impedance curve will be much happier with a low current amplifier than a speaker whose X-over is made up of numerous components and/or whose overall impedance swing is broader than a few Ohms. Current and voltage are both components in wattage and how the Carver produces one as opposed to the other at the output taps is more important than having both present. I mean no disrespect to Bob Carver, but his designs have always tried to emphasize some aspect of "difference" from the rest of the audio community. As a marketing ploy, Bob Carver can create buzz words with the best of the Japanese manufacturers.

Buy what sounds good to your ears and try not to get swept up in the BS of the sales pitch. Ask if the salesperson can explain the difference between impedance and resistance. Ask if they can explain the difference between voltage and current. If they can't, find a shop with better sales staff.

infinity2
Unregistered guest
J Vigne, you may need to be the guy to talk too -- are you familiar with old audio -- I'm talking infinity Kappa 9? I'm trying to get these dang things to work as mains -- have them bi-amped with yahama M80/m65, but the dang base is so bland (I say dead). They are 4way crossovers so maybe the base is suposed to be??? Can't see that though = should still have some thump. I have RSII and they bi-amp and are sweet. Do you know anything about the infinity kappa-9 (AKA amp killers)?

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 135
hey j vigne, looks like infinity2 should read the thread about spelling.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Sorry, I stopped selling Infinity before they produced the Kappa series. Most of the Infinity product at that time was plumbing the heights depths of impedance swing. For a time in hifi, the test was what amp could drive what speaker. Both speaker and amplifier manufacturers tried to out do the other. The Kappas are probably one of the series of Infinity's that dip very low in the bass region; some of the Infinity line would reach 1.5 Ohms on the low end and 65 Ohms on the high end. That type of impedance swing is asking for tremendous amounts of current from the amplifier. The Yamaha amps, which I did sell, cannot deliver the amount of current the Infinity's require. When the amp craps out on the bottom end, the bass will be almost nonexistent. It sounds like you simply have a very bad mismatch between speakers and amplifiers. Run a search on the Kappas to find measurements. If the impedance is the problem, you will have to change one of the components; either the amp or the speakers.

Username: Hook_up

Post Number: 1
I have a american audio V-2000plus amplifier with 2 peavey PVDJS-5 speakers. I can't find no cables to hook up my amp to my speakers,and also the back of my speakers has 2 input connections, but it doesn't say which one is the right input and which is the left input,each speaker has 2 inputs in the back, but I do know the cables has to be parallel.and the cables I do have won't fit into my amp.the salesman said I need banana cables, so I purchase them but they don't fit into my amp. can you help me?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

What exactly would you like us to do?

Post Number: 2
If you have the time go to planetdj.com and look for the V-2000plus and the peavey pvdjs-5 to see what cables I need.that's where I got my equipment from, maybe you have and ideal on what cables to get just by looking at the amp and speakers, by the way they don't have the cables that i need. just need some advise on what to do.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

The amp uses five way binding posts. They are called this because thay can accept five different types of connection; you choose which is the most convenient for your purpose.
There is no listing of the speaker on Peavey's web site and the dj.com site is worthless for the info you need. I suggest you call Peavey.

Anonymous

QQdddsa

Post Number: 3
thanks for the advice, but are their cables that has bare wire for my amp on one end and connectors on the other end for my speakers in parallel. and if so what are the best parallel cables. once again thanks.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Yes, there are the cables you need; somewhere. I don't know where. I defintely don't know which are best; only you can decide that. Call Peavey and ask them, they know their speakers better than anyone.

Unregistered guest
What amp to use on 2 S10L7 solo baric subwoofers with 2OHM. I have 2 solo baric subs and my old amp just blew. I need to know what amp I should get that will make them pound.

Unregistered guest
yes im loking at buying a legacy 800 watt amp 2 and 4 ohms model number LA590. and i have 2 sony xplode 10" subs they are 400 watts each i dont know what the rms are on them they are in a big ol box and i dont fel like taking them out but i went on a web site and saw the ones like mine and it said it was 400 watts so im guessin that means the rms rating is about 200 correct? i also want 2 know if this amp that i want 2 buy is a good amp for my subs the specs on the amp are 2x400 watts output 1x 800 watts bridged output 800 watts total power the last amp i had was a clarion apa 4203 and it just burned up on me recently i took it apart and it had a burn mark on the board also i talked 2 a guy and he said that it meant my amp was overheating but im also guessing if the amp was 2 little 4 the speakers and it worked the amp 2 hard is that posible? but i had 2 fans on it i dont know the wattage of the clarion for as it didnt say on it so i need some advice on what 2 do
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us