Theater Research?!?

Anonymous

I was wondering if anyone ever heard about Theater Research subwoofer ( TR-9500). I just bought this sub and i want to know what you think about it? It looks to be a good one, on their web site, it says it worth 1,500.00$ US. Please tell me what you think!! Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Kevin_eastman

Post Number: 19
How much did you pay and did you buy it from a reputable place?

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 307
Theater Research are what are known as "white van" speakers. Just do a google search and find out the sad truth. I'm betting you didn't get them from a store, but from someone selling "surplus speakers" in a parking lot. Am I right?

gotscammed
Unregistered guest
I just got scammed with a set of Theater Research TR-604 home therater surround speakers at the Fry's parking lot in City of Industry in S. Cal. by a guy in his Ford Explorer. Didn't know about the scam until I read about it at this forum. Beware, they are everywhere. He said his cell phone # is (714) 317-4979 and his name was "Niles" and he works for the company to clear the holiday inventories.

Unregistered guest
im out of phx az and these two white boys in a white truck came at me while i was on break from work sayin the had "extra inventory" i was like how much they said how much you got i was like 100 i can give you the rest after work just call me cuz they said that they lived down the road they were hesitant but they gave in i had 2 pioneer 10's in my trunk before one of these 10's hit harder than both of my previos sys so i didnt buy them in the store but i dont think i got scammed i think they did!

Unregistered guest
oh ya and mine are those tr 900's dont get me wrong i dont think that some of you arent getting cuz you probably and most likely are but i for one have some hard hittin subs plus a sick box so in response to those who have these try em if you got them cuz i thought the same thing but mine will blow my ears out and i have only hooked up one because my amp is only 800 wats but its hittin like crazy

Anonymous

I bought thess 2 * 10 inches speaker, each with 600 watts installed in a box. And yes i've bought it from two guy in a white van. one came to me and said: you want sub for your car, or speaker for home theater. I didn't have much money but i just want to take a look. They had 2 box of sub and 8 speaker for home theater in their van. he ask me how much can i give him for the sub. I said that if i go to the bank, i could get 250$ CA. Then he said: come on dude it's worth 1,500.00 US. Then i said: I know that 250$ is not enough but that's all i have. Come on the last guy gave me 700$ CA for these, call one of your friend to get more cash. No i can't that's all i can give to you. So he close the side door of the van and said: sorry, but i will find someone else. And i said ok! and go back to my car. i've start the engine and the guy came back to my window, then he said: ok man where's your bank, it's good for 250$. After the bank, i've went to my friend's house to try this sub in a car. He have a swiss amp of 1000 watts. We've put the amp just half of his power and the result sounded pretty nice to me. Maybe it dosen't worth 1,500.00$ US. but for 250$ CA, it's a good deal!! It also have a neon control ( i don't know how it's called) but you can put the neon with the beat of the bass.

Unregistered guest
A few months ago my brother came home with two home theater systems both made by THEATER RESEARCH. I was surprised by the price on the side of the box, it read $1995.00(sugested retail price)I was like bull uckin shet, were the hell did these come from. Then he told me some F A G came up to him and said that he had some xtra home systems he needed to get ride of. He said his store orderd 1 to many or some bs like that. I havent hooked them betches up yet, but when i read stuff about TR , theres no doubt my bro was scamed like a fool. Oh yeah he paid 200 for each.

benitogomes
Unregistered guest
same story.... but do the subwoofers work, at least ?!?!i just got screwed today... i didnt try it yet...thanks !

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 319
I'm surprised at all the people who bought them and post about them before even trying them. Try them and tell people about what you hear!

yoshi
Unregistered guest
I, myself bought this product from two guys in the back of a 4 Runner. He said he went to an aution and bought to many and needed to get rid of them. I was just outside my bank when he approached me and asked me how much I could give him for this home theater research system. on the box it said it was worth $2,995 and I gave him about $175 and a couple CD's. I have not got the chance to try them but I'm sure it will work once I try it out. Hopefully I got my moneys worth.

Unregistered guest
In a sunday just last week over spring break we were in ma friends car and 2 white boys came up to us in their truck it was a green truck they told us that they had snuck some speakers out of the back of their warehouse so i said i got 40 bucks they said no for sure the only thing i got them for was a box with 2 alpine type s subwoofers a gamo auto 45 mod so i got home hooked them up and they sound good but u defenetly need something to push them hopefully i dirent get screwed

inveigh
Unregistered guest
theater research is not a scam, well sony, jbl etc. is the same thing. All they do is make the products in china, where they literally pay nothing and sell it retail here for 10 times its cost. See, TR does the same thing but instead of selling it retail they 'd rather get cash, and on top of trying to establish a well known company with the competitors its rediculus! TR has QUALITY equipment, that I personally use! so all of that thing you have got ripped of, please reavaluate and concider buying from bestbuy and pay 10 times the ammount and get crap!! no f--king joke!

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 349
Dear unregistered guess,

They are selling stuff from a van that isn't there the next day, without any warranty or return policy, trying to pass off goods as worth 10 times what they are sold for, and trying to sell them for 10 times what would be fair. There is no way you can argue this that this is not a scam.

Anonymous

I just fell for the same scam in layton UT I purchased a set for over $550 and sure enough they are cheap worthless speakers

Unregistered guest
Got screwed in the layton Ut area guys in a golden tahoe, got me at a gas pump the deal of a life time and i fell for it i looked at drivers liscences and felt ok about the whole thing, sure enough they dont work worth a crap

Username: Jeff007

Terrebonne, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1
me to i bought a tr-95-00 from a guy in a little black with logo tv.....in the wal-mart parking..
he told me *he i got subwoofer for your car.how much you can give me*isaid i got 100$CN...go to your bank man!i just got 100 more at bank .. ok sorry.i return to my car when i start the engine.knock in my window ..ok for 200...but me i went to wal-mart for christmas gift..i cannot take my money for that..loll he put the box in my car and i said 180 final.**ok i had the box in the car and he go to the wrong bank.i had the opportunity to got free stuff but i return to him, gave me his cell#and receipt..one day after i saw when i open the box miss part.for the neon ,try the number .ask him and do you knw what? he came and gave me the part...nice guy call simon.... since these day i made the deal of my life, very good product and hard bass..maybe i was just lucky at this time

Frank Martin
Unregistered guest
I own a nice TR-9500 and they rattles my whole neighboorhood,I mean they rattled because I just blown them off! My bad was to turn my crossover below 20Hz so I burn them. The problem is that I been trying to find the original subs to replace
them, but seems to be impossible.

A.R.
Unregistered guest
on the street in AZ i got TR9500 for 250$...they wanted 400$. i like them. believe me they worth it.

laterdays
Unregistered guest
all this hype over these TR-9500 being a scam and what not is great news however nobody has offered a website address or any direct link to read on these subs...also do these last, are they built cheap, and do they really tie back to China. Who really knows the correct information. I myself picked up the TR-9500 but havn't paid for it. There asking $200.00 Any extended info is great. Im thinking of running over to the shop to let someone there have their say.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 596
If $200 is all you can afford, need full surround, and aren't too discrimanating, then buy 'em if you know they actually work.

Myself, I only object to their scam methods (pretending a product is worth a lot more, etc) and not to the product iself. If they sold it at Walmart for $300 with a warranty it might be a good deal!

Anonymous

I got taken in Scottsdale, AZ ... same bullshit story everyone has on this site... Anyway, I did get the scam artists' license plate #, if that helps anyone. These 2 young guys were driving a white Ford F150 , with a Colorado Plate #: 051 ETK. Hope somebody goes after these punks.

Anonymous

I just got TR home theater wth DVD set ( TR 2005) for $300.00: 6 speakers with a huge sub-woofer.Am thinking of giving it to my husband for Father's Day. Yeah, 2 guys sold it to me in a parking lot. Everything is new and complete. I'm getting butterflies in my stomach thinking I got ripped off. What do you think folks? Thanks!

Unregistered guest
I have two of the tr-9500 subs that im willing to see individually. They work and the reason im selling them is becuase the box broke. So i figured i would just get rid of them. If you want one or two of the orginal subs. Just email me @ chstre@hotmail.com

Username: Scamd_da_scam

LOL!, I scammed the scam and I ain't complaining. 2 bungholes rolled up in a white navigator (I was at the Ol Port in MTL, CA). I was across the street and was watching my buddy, so I walked over to see what he was selling. First I thought bootleg movies, so I'm thinking, well, they have torrents for that stuff (hehe). When I got over there he had speakers by TR (Model DS 6.1) He then proceeded to run his lame pitch. The magazine was a nice touch however. But in my head I was thinking 2 large, no chance. I figured they were worth maybe 700$-750$ CAD at most. He immediately asked for 800$, and so I proceeded to laugh in his face. Asked him if he was on facking crack, if he honestly thought i was gonna give him 8 bills for speakers from a trunk. I took him down to 300$CAD, and he went with it.

As bad as it sounds, I still walked away with 6.1 surround sound for my upper duplex house. I'll probably never be able to crank them anyway. How I see it, is that I probably saved a couple hundred dollars instead of going to circuit city and buying abse model jvc's. Did the math at xe.com and basically got surround sound for my 20 inch jvc living room tv (LOL) for just under 245.00 US. Can't go wrong with that. All I gotta do now is test them with some classical music and then I'll know for sure.

I'm not really worried about the money I paid. I called a buddy immediately, and he told me the same guys tried to work him at a red light. My buddy said they're regulars on the street, So I have no problem getting out one day and beating his car with my Taylor Made Driver. But then again, I wouldn't mind trying to get scammed again, cuz then I know i can take them for 200$!! Makes a gret present for that "special girl" you want to impress!!

One more thing, my buddy got into the guys car while the other guy went to my car trunk to dump it in. I could tell immeditely he was sh*tting his pants, so don't worry about these guys, they're just weed heads trying to make a buck (tele-marketing on wheels!)

Bronze Member
Username: Billie_sallie

Post Number: 12
Theater Research and Digital Research and Theater Innovations are bed partners.

TR DS-6.1 = TR-6.1 = DR-1000 Platinum = TI-4000

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=3&post=373061#POST373061

Who scammed who? You sure?

The subwoofer is not powered. Remove the base plate that holds the wire terminals to the back of the sub and have a look at the back side of those eight terminals, and then, look at the wiring of the two 6.5" speakers. It's just another speaker box - not a subwoofer at all.

http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/Crimes/InPerson/speaker_scams.htm

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 969
Who scammed who? You sure?

I agree. How can anybody selling something on the street get scammed by selling stuff? If he's not making a profit he can always not sell them to you at the offered price.

Bronze Member
Username: Billie_sallie

Post Number: 13
Yeah, these are all over ebay. That's where I bought my TI-4000 system (same as the DS-6.1). Brand new. I could tell that the box was still taped with the original tape, same thing with the inside bags 'n' such.

I got them for $49.99 + shipping.

Total amount = $84.70

I guess selling on ebay is a whole lot easier than messing around on the streets, trying to sell face-to-face with your victims out of a white van.

Almost all of them are going with a very low starting bid and no reserve, like the one I won.

Most of them aren't calling the sub a sub. They're calling it a "base module". I still don't know how to wire it in to my amp. With my center speaker? Dunno...

Anonymous

I was at a gas station and these 2 guys came up and ask if i want some good quality speakers. I had been attended to this forum for quite awhile before this, and was well aware of what they were about to sell me. Not trying to brag here, but I am a former jujitsu teacher, i stopped teaching once i got married, and got a more suiting job. but anyways, let's just say that they hit the ground pretty hard, harder than their subs hit! :-)

Silver Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 122
What?! They attacked you?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1252
Apparently he attacked them!

Silver Member

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 123
What?! An unprovoked attack on two defenseless white van scam salesmen? Where are the police when you need them?

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 306
The martial art I study teaches to avoid physical altercations at all costs. I guess you forgot what you used to teach... If you even taught at all.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1256
Jimvm....I'm still lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Member

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 124
Oh, the horror!!! I can just see all of the white van scam speaker salesmen banding together; unionizing even; anything to combat the anonymous jujitsu ninja who hangs around gas stations so that he can attack them.

Silver Member

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 125
Awww. . . I'm sorry Anonymous. I couldn't help myself.

Anonymous

No they didn't attack me, nor were they planning to. The point was that I heard what others on this forum were saying and how they all got scammed somehow, and it pi$$ed me off that they were trying to scam me, so I unleashed on them, gave some of the damage they have caused back to them.

Silver Member

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 127
In legal circles, that's called battery.

Anonymous

What, I didn't know these speakers needed batteries. Hmmmmmm....

I suppose we could go around and around on legal circles, but truth be told, they got what they deserved. They are out there trying to dupe unsuspecting people into a scheme that has been well thought-out and rehearsed and refined. They are out there trying to rip people off, that being, trying to get money from people who would not have given them a second look in a legit retail atmosphere.

They deserved it. I only wish that it would have been enough to get them to think about what they are doing, honestly, and stop doing it and get a real job of some kind of worth. Problem with that scenario is, they're not honest, even unto themselves. Now, you know, that's sorry.

Sad In Idaho
Unregistered guest
Moscow Idaho, got scammed...yay. I figured what the hell 150$ if it works, great..if not...most expensive target practice Items I ever bought we will see I geuss..Figure'd Id take a shot and see

TR-6.1 Pro-series...Silver Van

150$

Username: Nik_slick

Sacramento, Ca Usa

ok guys here is the scoop i now what theater research is and they are not to much of a scam
if you pay at the most 400 you get the right price theater resarch are copy cats of canon audio and are not that bad they sound great and are just not a bad speaker better then sony and kenwood hands down i work a goodguys and see real speakers like eneargy and klipsch and they do sound better then TR but not by that much though they are well worth 400 for a full 5.1 win eneargy and klipsch cost way way more good luck guys and dont go killing any guys in wight vans lol alright

Kan The Louis Vuitton Don
Unregistered guest
MY friend and i just got the tr-9500 for 120 seems okay

Anonymous

ok here is my story , i just purchased a set of the 1610/1611 5 speakers $460 off ebay, i will make my determination as to how they sound when they arrive, if i got taken at least i have a way to return them, the guy i bought them from had well over 600 feedbacks and none of them were not satisfied with the product. When i looked at TR's website i assumed that the pricing was inflated, and i thought it was strange that speakers that were so expensive had such minimal info about them. However as usual i did no research before i bought and found this thread after i purchased. i will post what i think when they arrive. If they suck at least i can return them and get e bay involved in the dispute.

Unregistered guest
Food for thought for the guy and girl who sold me a set of Theater Research 7010 speakers in Roswell GA on 10/18. To refresh your memory I'm the long-haired fool who gave into the power of greed. Anyhow, as soon as you pulled away I realized that it was a scam and decided to not even open the box of supposed speakers. As a result, after work yesterday I drove to Goodwill and donated the set for the sake of clearing my conscience. In terms of the substantial amount of money that I gave you, I pray that you also put it to good use. Next, being a teacher, I have an assignment for you. I hope that you'll take the time to watch Les Miserables and study how the lead character, Jean Valjean, is transformed when the priest out of forgiveness allows Jean Valjean to keep the stolen silverware. It's a life-changing story and one worth noting. There's more to this world than money and making quick cash, and my prayer is that you two latch on to a higher purpose. You're both very talented at what you do, so why not put your skills toward a more noble cause. One that contributes to society. I don't know if what you do is legal or not, but I do know that it's unethical. It is fraudulent. You need to understand that we're all in this world trying to seek a better life. We're all seeking a life filled with true freedom, authentic friedships, true love and joy, and I'm convinced that those who steal and lie to get by will never reach the same levels of freedom and inner peace as those who are honest and base their lives on integrity. Through the job that you've chosen, yes, you may eventually make your fortune, but will you really feel good about yourself for how you made the money? Someday when you're retired and on vacation with your feet propped up and reflecting back on how you acquired your fortune, I'm convinced that you'll never have half the satisfaction of what an honest worker feels. If you feel any remorse for your actions, then you need to ask yourself why - even if it's only an inkling of regret. I believe that in varying degrees based the decisions we make in life that there exists a conscience that actively exists in everyone. It convicts us to take the higher road and to love one another. I also believe that each person's conscience is actually God's voice telling our souls how to live according to his will - not for the sake of following His rules, but so that we can attain the best life that He has called us to live. One that is fruitful and at peace - I'm talking about a peace that passes all understanding and can only be found in Him. Again, my prayer is that you embrace a higher life for your sake, not mine. I know I'll never get my money back. This message is not about that. It's about me hoping/praying/wanting to see you on the other side my friends. There are eternal consequences to our morale decisions. Last, I hope that you check this website and take to heart what I've written. And just b/c you may not believe in what I'm saying know that that doesn't make it untrue. Truth is not based on each person's set of rules but is absolute to all mankind. That is, there are certain truths that hold true to everyone. And our conscience reminds us of the fact that lying and stealing is wrong. With that said, take care of yourself and may God bless you with a more fulfilling life! Also, thanks for helping me to understand the influence of greed in my life - pretty expesive lesson learned. Oh yeah, I also know that you stole my receipt from the ATM, and I hope that you have the integrity not to use any of the information against me. I've already contacted the bank and changed my password. I try to make an honest wage through teaching, and as you probably noticed on the reciept, I can't afford to have any more money withdrawn from my account. God bless my friends!

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 684
I really hate to tell you this... I don't think they care.

MESA ARIZONA
Unregistered guest
MESA AZ....these two little punk in a white rental truck pulled up saying they recieve some extra system that they didnt order and were shipping them to his boss. asking for $500 but keeping in mind he was willing to get rid of them for whatever due to the fact if he doesnt his boss will take them. so i restate his little bitcHH AS$ statement and "your lost and you not gettin SHHit" since im a sellman how in the hell are you gonna try to sell a seller..well anyways i got it for $140 and the next day i sold it for $200.. on ebay people are willing to spend at lease 200 not including shipping. i sold mine on the street though so i dont have to deal with shipping... if you wnat it cheap you better sell them why.. ahhaa little BITCHHes

doylek21
Unregistered guest
I was at a gas station and just after I filled up and washed my truck these 2 guys pulled up and were like I got extra speakers there legit and they are worth 2000!! it is a 6.1 system I dont know if they work or not yet but I want to find out tonight anyone buy this system??? and does it work well??

Have Been Had
Unregistered guest
Well we were just the victims of studpidity. Don't know if these work or not but got taken from what I can see on this forum. Mocha colored Chevy full sized van. Parking lot in Racine, Wisc., van had Illinois plates. 1 white guy. Lic Plate# 60 356 G Illinois Plate

Anonymous

I live in columbus Ohio and it sounds like these guys are out to get people for what they can. My fiance was sitting in Home depo shopping center here in columbus OH, he is a trucker and was sitting in his truck when a guy and female pulled up in a chevy suburban and gave him this same story as above this guy was asking 800 for this TR-8200 system and my fiance only had 150 on him and that guy said that was good enough and took the money for the system. when he got home we noticed that it required an amp.. to be used an we do not have one so we are going to sell the system for what we paid for them. We got the same story do not sell them anywhere else or on e-bay and these speakers were extras from a truck load and my boss wants me to sell them and he was a fast talker and was wearing nice clothes.....After reading this I am glad that they only got 150.00 The plates on the vehile were from Michigan I think also have learned our lesson about buying things from the back of vehicles.

mcg13
Unregistered guest
i just bought 2 tr2380s and they sound good but not 2000$ good only 75$ but if i see these punks again and i will igot my two bros were gonna make thes boys wishthey were never born!

Username: Tg2010

I THINK PEOPLE WHO SAY EVEN ONE NICE WORD ABOUT THESE SPEAKERS ARE THOSE WHO ARE CONNECTED WITH SELLING THEM BECAUSE I JUST GOT TO HEAR A TR2005 AND IT SOUNDS LIKE A LOAD OF CRAP.

Username: Bertuzzi44

Post Number: 4
lol I Was in a another forum and explained myself. I officially sell them let me tell you I would never sell an item like this if it wasn't good quality. this company has been around for twenty years and theres no way a company can be around this long if it is a "scam". Just because they dont sell in stores dosn't mean they are a "scam". If you look on their site there is a logo from the FBAA that is and I quote "The Fair Business Association of America". here's their site www.fbaa.us scroll down the left hand column(their affiliates column) and look at the review posted by this company (they also have all of the products listed there if your intressted).

Today I had a guy who makes his own speakers come and hear them because I can sell them for cheap he seemed very pleazed with my system (I have tr 6030) and he was willing to purchase the tr6200(I still have to get it and he still needs to finalize it).My dad is also in the importing business so for a fact i know that any product you purchase in a store is eight times more expensive than it takes to make it. Also because of my dads product I know that quality is the one thing people like most (we have it![tr and my dads company]) my dad would also NEVER even socialize with a company who was a scam.

There are three survival tips to these white van guys and are as follows:
1. Alwayse make sure the :
chords are in
and the manual is in(The manual has the warranty, the hook up info and other specs)Oh and dont worrey if it dosnt have a manual go to the site and download a manual(it's that easy)
2. ask for a receit:
with their name, signature, price, date of purchase, and location of purchase.( so that if they arent what u expected, u can return them!)
if you follow these basic survival tips you wont get "scammed"
3. Always make sure oyu have all the requirements for the speakers(For the guy who needed an amp well you should have checked that out)
PS there is no tr2005! YOU MORON!! go have a look on their site www.trtheaterresearch.com If you haev any problems go on their site go to suctomer service and call or e-mail them.
CUSTOMER SERVICE

Copyrighti½ 2002-2005 TR Theater Research.
All rights reserved.
sales@trtheaterresearch.com
Tel: (949) 355-6008 Fax: (714) 892-1802
Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm (PST)

There's the info.
And for some of you who hooked it up and think they're awsome well enjoy!
Also ALWAYS HAGGLE THE PRICE DOWN!!
PSS i might be one of the few people out there going for the true quality but be carefull and you shouldnt get "scammed" and my e-mail is Ruan_hockey_man44@hotmail.com if you have any questions

Post Number: 5
Also I forgot to say that most of these guy's selling these speakers are down and ou,t and have a chance to afford a living, so dont judge these guy's just yet. I have read throughout this forum that not many have hooked up the speakers..... HOOK THEM UP!!!! and if you dont know how to. gGo on the site and look at the manual... its that easy!

Silver Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 934
Ruan,

Are you really trying to tell me this is respectable company? You've got to be kidding me. Here's the blurb from TR's home page -

"People, who know sound, know TR-THEATER RESEARCH it is a name that commands respect because TR-THEATER RESEARCH speakers are ranked among the finest in the world. TR-THEATER RESEARCH has pioneered many internationally acclaimed innovations. No other manufacturer has done more to advance the art of digital loudspeaker engineering. Cutting edge professionals are launching digital loudspeakers and the element is TR-THEATER RESEARCH Professional technology and only the highest quality speaker components are used. Making great speakers is an art, same as a live concert performance. TR-THEATER RESEARCH's standard policy is to never get satisfied. The customer is No.1! We attract more and more satisfied customers by providing them with prompt service, quality products, reasonable prices, and excellent customer service.
We are always striving to improve our products and service."

"...THEATER RESEARCH speakers are ranked among the finest in the world."
By who? I've yet to see one positive review from a respected independent source.

"TR-THEATER RESEARCH has pioneered many internationally acclaimed innovations."
Which innovations, and again, acclaimed by who?

"No other manufacturer has done more to advance the art of digital loudspeaker engineering."
No manufacturer has done anything to advance digital loudspeaker technology. Know why? Their's no such thing as a "digital loudspeaker."

"The customer is No.1! We attract more and more satisfied customers by providing them with prompt service, quality products, reasonable prices, and excellent customer service."
Excellent customer service out of the back of a van? Being lied to about where the speakers came from and how much they cost? If it's so great, how come none of the people who bought them can find a place to return them under their legally protected right to do so?

"TR-THEATER RESEARCH's standard policy is to never get satisfied."
The only half true thing in the whole thread. It needs to be altered to - TR-THEATER RESEARCH's standard policy is to never get a customer satisfied.

As for all of the little logos and awards on the bottom of the screen, they're all BS.

Elite Digital Sound Ready - What's that?

Elite Audio Ready - What's that?
- I think Pioneer Elite may have a bone to pick with the company if they saw those

Ultra Digital Labs - What's that?

2005 ? (Can't make it out) Audio Distributer's Top Choice - Who are they?

Audio Distributers Choice Top 100 2005 - Who are they?

FBAA - Do you really think I'm falling for that one? Make it look official like a government branch.

Why waste my time with you? I don't have anything better to do at the moment.

Post Number: 6
"FBAA - Do you really think I'm falling for that one? Make it look official like a government branch. "
Did you actually go to FBAA's site? if they only had a couple of companies listed then I would have agreed right away with you but they have at least 50 affiliates (a little low I agree but ,that site helps new company's to get some advertizement. to make all of those affiliates fakes well thats just a waste of money) Also the BBB I do not see any warnings about TR THEATER RESEARCH, but plz send me the link if you find it.

"Audio Distributers Choice Top 100 2005 - Who are they? "

I Really dont know. If you really are so anxious why dont u e-mail .
sales@trtheaterresearch.com or better yet call Tel: (949) 355-6008 Fax: (714) 892-1802
Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm (PST)

Also whats your story... I dont see it posted anywhere?..... all I see posted are some smart *ss remarks to some people(the martial arts guy was wrong but just because he didnt do what a techer isnt supposed to dosnt mean he teached ... Should a teacher who is off the job, swears all of a sudden lose the right to call himself a teacher.... didnt think so. Oh and who could forget the one guy who was hoping to get smething good to occur out of his "scam" you could have just left it but u had to attack him as well.)Point is i think if your gonna make smart *ss comments you sould tell your own story.

"Excellent customer service out of the back of a van? Being lied to about where the speakers came from and how much they cost? If it's so great, how come none of the people who bought them can find a place to return them under their legally protected right to do so? "
So do you know where no name brand comes from? do you know where all of sony's stuff is made? (I dont know but mabye you, the man with the connections MUST know!)And if you couldn't return the speakers, then why would they give you a WARRANTY?!!?

Digital loudspeakers are the ones that can take the dolby digital code and distribute it to the right speakers(if I understood correctly from various web sites).

Once again if you want to know whorated them go to customer service.

Also try and hook up the speaker (if anyone has any). If they suck or arent worth what you paid for call customer service(keep in mind you should probably have a receit... if not try to see if customer service will accept it)!

And of course once again what is YOUR STORY!?

PSI dont know everything and I'm only answering to what I know, and plenty of speaker companies use the "Digital Sound Ready" "feature", if all you can do is attack a companies advertizing tools then ok good job, I learned about advertizing in grade six to grade eight (four - two years ago)

Silver Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 936
Ruan -
You need to slow down a little bit and read what I wrote here. Let me translate some things for you -
"Being lied to about where the speakers came from and how much they cost?"
Meaning - Not where they were made and how much they cost to build. Meaning the "We have a few left over from an installation job; here's a magazine ad saying they cost $1500 each." If that's what you consider good customer service, you're selling the right products.

"Digital loudspeakers are the ones that can take the dolby digital code and distribute it to the right speakers(if I understood correctly from various web sites)."
You didn't understand anything correctly. A speaker doesn't take digital signals from anywhere and doesn't do anything with them. Digital to Analog Converters (DAC) do this. DAC's in CD or DVD players and receivers decode digital data and send an analog signal to speakers.

"And if you couldn't return the speakers, then why would they give you a WARRANTY?!!?" Exactly. Where should the guy who bought a pair of speakers last night in a mall parking lot return his speakers to? Should he wait in the parking lot until you decide to show up again? If you do and he sees you, you're not going to give him his money back; you'll give him a phony website address to go to. He'll e-mail someone over there who won't e-mail him back.

If he actually gets a hold of someone, where's the serial number on the units? They don't have one. Know why? Any warantee is void if the serial number is removed or otherwise tampered with. I bet they didn't teach any of that in your 6th grade advertising class, did they?

"plenty of speaker companies use the "Digital Sound Ready" "feature"
Other than the "White Van" companies, name one. Exactly what type of feature is it? Are your wonderful speakers decoding digital information again?

"I learned about advertizing in grade six to grade eight (four - two years ago)"
I'm sorry. My 2 Bachelor's degrees and Master's degree don't compare to your superior intellect and 8th - 10th grade (at best) education.

Before you come here and try to tell people who actually know a thing or two the deal, you should do a little homework. Just when I thought the Best Buy clowns were the worst and least educated on audio equipment (not every single one, but the overwhelming majority), a new contender arrived. You obviously know absolutely nothing about audio or anything else you mention for that matter.

Do yourself a favor - get an education. If you're still in high school, make sure you graduate and go to college. If you dropped out, get your GED and try some Community College. Selling speakers out of the back of a white van isn't really what you had in mind when you were a kid, is it? If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish a little more that what you've got now.

Silver Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 937
PS -
Paying a few dollars for a certificate to have affilliation with a company (which is most likely just as fake as TR's website) doesn't give the company any credibility.

They probably didn't teach you that one in 6th grade "advertizing" class either.

TheaterResearched
Unregistered guest
Information about FBAA.US taken from BBB.Org just go there and search.

http://www.data.bbb.org/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=phoenix/phoenix/showrpt.html? language=english&zid=86001134

And of course information on Theater Research

http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Business/CompanyReportPage_Expository.aspx?Com panyID=13144954

Username: Bidd1stplace

St. louis, MO U.S.A.

I have owned the Theater Research TR-12 Powered home subwoofer since Jan. I play it hard everyday in my home theater. The thing can wake the dead. Now I can't speak for other Theater research products but at least the TR-12 is on par with my previous sub wich was a velodine.

Username: Gmwilsonjr

I was given a set of Theather Innovations TI4000 Professional Home Theater System. There was no owners manual in the box. The box had been opened, but according to the person I got it from, it was never used. The label on he back boasts about "system power 800 watts." Is there a reciever or something missing? Where does the 800 watts come from?

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1959
Is there a powered sub?

Otherwise it's likely the sum of the power handling capability of all spaekers combined. It doesn't mean anything important.

Username: Swimdude

I recently bought the TR-7000 speakers used from a good and rather well-off friend of mine. The speakers would not fit in her car at the same time as the sub, so all that is hooked up right now is the sub, and let me tell you, it sounds AWESOME. My dad owns a Boston Acoustics PV-600, and though this isn't quite up to it's volume level, it is a very nice speaker. It's a 10" cone I'm guessing. When I held a piece of regular 8.5 x 11 printer paper up to it, it looked to be about half an inch bigger than the hole in the frame. (the fabric does not come off or I would measure it properly.) I myself came across this forum because I had never heard of TR before and wanted to know something about them. My swim coach bought a very nice Bose and Infinity combo, and says that when he was in the market, TR was very intriguing. He also said Theater Research was started by the co-founder of Bose. I am unsure why he would have broken away from Bose, but for whatever reason it is said that he then started a new company, Theater Research. Anyone have FACTS to back this up? Or for that matter ANY facts about TR. I for one though I am tired of jack@$$es saying "ohhh, i got scammed!!" well BOO HOO! don't buy off the freaking street from some weirdo in a suspicious van!

Post Number: 2
PS, It has a knob in the back (in addition to volume) that controls the crossover. I am guessing that the max and min on the knob reflect its frequency response. The knob goes from 40 Hz to 180 Hz.... I'd say thats pretty low!

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 408
I know nothing of the sub

But i bought some parts from a garage sale and they theater research
1inch dome
3 inch mid
10 woofer

They sound good

nice smooth responce

Username: Ralphchuck

My husband got scammed by these people a couple years ago. Bought the TR-604 6-piece set. We've never tried to use them. He wanted to use these instead of the Kenwood system I have (which is 10+yrs old but still sounds great). After reading the above posts, I think we should give 'em away or pitch 'em. What does everybody else think?

Post Number: 3
My last post... was a little premature. My friend was wrong about the whole history of TR, but whatever.

FACTS!
I listened to my TR-7000 subwoofer, and a pair of black, 400W, 7 driver (5 x 3" mid, 1 x 1" tweet, 1 x 8" sub) tower speakers from TR for many months. Together, they were AWESOME. They did not have the clarity of my new Boston Acoustics (VR20's if you're curious), but the label saying 400 watts was NOT lying. I could turn my 250 watt amp all the way up, and they sounded as loud and crisp as ever - not distorted one bit.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't care if they were originally sold out of the back of a van. They work! DO NOT shun theater research until you have actually tried them out.

David
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us