Which reciever

Username: Beaver

Post Number: 10
i want to upgrade my receiver. it would be used for home theater pretty much only. my current receiver is an onkyo tx-sr701. my to choices for upgrading are the nad t773 and the denon 3805. would upgrading to these make any difference in sound from my onkyo. also which one would be ideal for movies. these recievers would be run with axiom speakers mti60s qs8s and there vp150. i also have the hsu vtf3-mk2 sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
no one has anything to offer. anybody own one of theses amps. and which one sounds better for movies. please i need some info.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 253
The Denon would be more ideal for movies than the NAD - if not for sound quality, then for features. VERY hard to beat the NAD sound if you can get a good unit without any problems (Make sure you get Ver.2)

I'm very fond of my Harman Kardon, and would recommend the AVR 635 as a solid receiver great for movies (and music), and would sound great with the Axioms.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
so for mainly movies not music you would go for the denon. i heard nad are the best for music but i don't hear much about how they are for movies. also either of theses choices would they sound better then my onkyo?

Bronze Member
Username: Steelydan

Post Number: 17
701 does not have pro logic IIx does it?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2450
I think the NAD 773 is excellent for movies and plays really well with the Axioms.
I think it is better all around over the Denon.
But, like Kano said, if you like more features, Denon has it. I doubt you will be tinkering with all these features once you settle in.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
no i think the onkyo only has the pro logic ll. so nad would be the one to go with. the only feature that the denon has that really interests me would be the room equalizer. so for movies nad is just as good as denon if not better. music is not an issue because i hardly listen to any on it. i like the nad too. it has way more power then the denon. the only draw back is its kind of ugly looking compared to the denon. which doesn't have anything to do with sound. but are the nad specs bumped up or accurate. the only thing that stops me from getting the nad, is axiom reccomends denon with there speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
also is nad able to be used as 6.1 channel reciever. or do you need seven speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 113
If you go to the axiom website, you will see that a lot of owners. like myself, prefer the sound of Denon with Axiom. Nothing against H/K- but the Axiom already has a good midrange and does not need the need the midrange sculpting and "bloat" of the H/K. However. if you like your vocals a little forward sounding, this might be a good choice. Also, NAD, according the "professional reviews I read" goes a little soft on the lower bass. That would distract from the benefit of the fast aluminium drivers on the Axioms. The Denon 3805 is adds no coloration, has plenty of dynamic power to drive even the 4-ohm Axiom m-80's. Don't get me wrong, I like the NAD, but it would be my #2 choice for Axiom and then H/K (another popular reciever on the Axiom boards) would be #3.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 114
Chris:

I didn't read your comments closely enough. If you are primarily interested in theater, then Denon is the way to go. The Denon can match the NAD musically (IMHO) - the 3805's music ability has been compared to separates in a number of reviews (CNET.com, audioholics.com) and the Denon is better than the NAD for theater.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
thanks thats what i wanted to now. i want it for home theater only. so going with the denon would it sound a lot better then my onkyo. also can i run the 3805 as a 6.1 channel receiver also.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 115
Chris:

Oddly enough, the receiver I had before the Denon 3805 was the Onkyo 701. I have never looked back.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
thanks for your help. so the denon 3805 can be run as a 6.1 channel receiver also.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 116
Not only could you run 6.1, but you could bi-amp you m60's with the 3805. Seen audioholics.com on how to do this with the 3805,

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 117
Not only could you run 6.1, but you could bi-amp you m60's with the 3805. See audioholics.com on how to do this with the 3805,

Unregistered guest
I need help in getting my TV, my VCR/DVD Player-Recorder, CD Player, 2 sets of outside speakers, (one set by pool, other in garage), my center speaker, 2 front speakers and 2 rear speakers,to operate independently using my harman/kardon AVR20 Audio and Video Receiver. I have my owners manual, but it doesn't help. When I want only the set of speakers by the pool to work, I get my garage speakers and den speakers too! AND, to do this I have to switch the Speakers buttons on the front of the device. It's driving me nuts. Can I buy adapters, etc. to make life more simple?

Unregistered guest
OH and I forgot, I also have a Direct TV Satellite Receiver, to be connected along with all the other devices mentioned in previous message. PLEASE HELP!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us