Pioneer vsx-1012 vs vsx-1014 w/ Infinity Spkrs

ramplg
Unregistered guest
First I want to thank everyone that uses these boards and takes time to post info. I have just put in a 1014 with Infinity TSS 1100 surround spkrs and two add. entra 1's for my front left and right channels and all I can say is Wow!, wow!, wow!. I am totally pleased with the speaker setup but had to settle on a reciever in my price range that would work. I would like to help others as far as with info on these two Pioneer units. The 1012 is definitely the old Elite vsx-45. There is no doubt in my mind on this. The 1014 is a new model. The 1012 is far superior in build quality and processing ability then the 1014 however the 1014 offers the new technology of Dolby IIx and video up conversion, the downside is that it does not have a RS232c connection for updating it like the 1012 does and it only has one video out where the 1012 has two. I went with the 1014 knowing that this is my first AV reciever and who knows what I will do down the road.
Once again thanks to everyone in helping me make a decision.

Bronze Member
Username: Buckcrazy

Post Number: 67
Glad that you liked your purchase pioneer 1014 is the best sub 1000 dollars unit IMHO.

Gold Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 1061
As much as I am a fan or Pioneer and Elite products there is no way the 1014 is the best sub $1000 receiver. You can buy a Elite 52,54 or 56 for under $1000 and the 1014 as good as it is cannot compete with a Elite model. That is not even mentioning such great units as the Marantz 7400/7500, the NAD 753, and a few others. You can make a case that the 1014 is the best sub $500 receiver however. I am getting a bit tired of saying this but the regular Pioneer line and the Elite line use totally different dsps,dacs, power supplies and connectors. If it doesn't say Elite it isn't.

Bronze Member
Username: Sdc

Post Number: 36
I spoke to Pioneer in person on the phone and they told me the Elite used different parts.

ramplg
Unregistered guest
I understand the argument about Elite not being Pioneer and that is correct, but the build on the 1012 and the 45 are identical. Here is the facts on the VSX-1012. I did have this unit in my home. It has double wall construction, it has dual motorola processors, it has hi-bit audio scaler, it has RS232c connection, it has udgraded transformer stabilizer, it weighs in at about 8 pounds heavy than the 1014. It has the Urishi front finish with more attractive door that sits in instead of out like on the pioneer models, it has 12 surround modes instead of 8. Real elite is right this is stamped pioneer and is pioneer not elite, however I purchased the 1012 from best buy and could not find any info on it any where other than their info. After recieving it I did a further search trying to figure the model out and as far as for specs (not name) it is identical to the elite vsx-45. I do not know that they are the same but spec wise they are. I really struggled with not keeping it over the 1014 knowing that it was at least built like an elite but as I have stated before the new Dolby IIx and video up conversion meant more to me.
The reason I wanted to post this info is to help someone else in the purchasing process. The 1012 is built like an Elite and is identical to the 45 at least in specs and build quality. It has far superior processing ability and also comes with the nicer remote. The 1014 is not as nice build was but offered the new technology and 110w per channel instead of 100w. I have seen people who have compared it to an Elite and after having just both these models in my home the 1014 is no where near that quality as where the 1012 with a different badge on the front would be impossible to tell apart from one.

ramplg
Unregistered guest
I also forget to say that when I was searching for the 1012 model the only other place I could find it other than best buy was on pioneers site doing a parts search by model. This is what brought me to comparing the 45 to the 1012 since the service manuals for the two are the same as well

Gold Member

Post Number: 1062
I just did a search on Pioneers site and found nothing on the 1012 or the 1014. I have looked for the 1014 before and found nothing as well. I don't understand why they are not listed on the current or older model list. How did you find the 1012 on their site? I typed every conceivable number and nothing.

ramplg
Unregistered guest
To find the 1014 you have to go to the pioneer canada site and look under AV reciever pioneer models. To get to the canada site pick a model pick the parts quick link and then when that page opens on the left there is an option for other pioneer sites and pick the canadian site, the 1014 is listed on their site. If you can find the 1012 any hwere let me know.

ramplg
Unregistered guest
Here is a quick link to the 1012 parts info on pioneers site, http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/model.asp?modelNum=VSX%2D1012%2DK

ramplg
Unregistered guest
Here is link 1014 on the Canadian site, http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/model.asp?modelNum=VSX%2D1012%2DK

ramplg
Unregistered guest
Oops, 1014 link, 32171715_32252771_149245049%2C00.html,http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/pna/produ ct/detail/0,,32171715_32252771_149245049,00.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 1063
Thanks. I'll give it a look when I get a lull here at work. I thought the 1012 like the 2012 might be overseas model. Later.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
hi buddy it is sub 1000 cad not us i did get this elite 54 with taxes and duties worked out to 1200 cad and even 52 works out a little shade over 1000 cad so i stand corrected make it 500 usd and 750 cad is that ok.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
hi buddy it is sub 1000 cad not us i did get this elite 54 with taxes and duties worked out to 1200 cad and even 52 works out a little shade over 1000 cad so i stand corrected make it 500 usd and 750 cad is that ok.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1065
There's always that confusion about US and Canadian prices. Didn't know that's what you were refering to. Regardless the 1014 is a very good receiver at either price as are the Elite's at their mail order prices. List or retail is another story.

ramplg
Unregistered guest
I forgot to mention that the 1012 is also Air Studio's tuned and has a USB hookup which the 1014 has neither.

Username: Dmc1

Post Number: 3
Interesting, a USB hook up!!!
DOes that mean that you can hook up one of those wireless type thingys from your PC to the AV tuner and pump the DV videos and pics from your PC though the receiver????

Bronze Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 78
dc:

I was unable to send you a private e-mail back.

Check out this months issue of The Perfect Vision, and check out CNET.com, audioholics.com., and audiorevolution.com.

Unregistered guest
Try the pioneer uk site and you'll find info on the 1014.There's no doubt the 1012 is a better unit pound for pound and you'll probably never use the DPL11x. Best Buy is the only authorized retail seller of the 1014 that I know of. (not including all of the internet dealers out there of course)You can not register this product at pioneer. Just save your receipt and return to BB if you have problems with your unit within a year's warranty.
For whatever reason pioneer has retailed their 1012 and 1014 units to a select few retailers, i.e. costco and best buy. It's almost as if their heritage is more English than American. As a matter of fact, these units closely resemble the popular AX series of pioneer receivers in England and Canada.
Good luck in finding any 1012's left at BB.

szayaz
Unregistered guest
Actually, there are a number of authorized online retailers currently selling the 1014. One I know of for sure other than Best Buy is J&R (jr.com), and the price is excellent there ($399 including shipping). The only problem with jr.com right now is that they are on backorder for at least 2 weeks.

FYI: you can find the authorized online retailers on Pioneer's website.

jdsmoooth
Unregistered guest
What an interesting debate over the 1014 and the 52tx. I purchased a 1014 yesterday, but not before I spoke to Pioneer. I was told that the cahsis on the 52tx was built to resist vibration a llittle better and that the leads on the elite are gold. Besisdes multi room and RS232c.... I was told that these units are Identical and sound exactly the same.
Go Figure
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us