HELP - Cartridge and advice for Denon DP-52F turntable

Username: Scottier1

Post Number: 1
I am trying to find a suitable cartridge/needle combo for my still-reliable Denon DP 52F turntable. I have a Grado M1+ and a Stanton 801EEE but neither seems right. [Anyone wanna buy them? Both are hardly used!] Although not a huge vinyl user these days, I have a lot of old disco 12" vinyl that I enjoy playing and I want to convert much of it to CD, using Nero software.

The Denon is connected to a Pioneer Elite vsx-47tx receiver [I know, not ideal] and like-new factory renewed Dahlquist DQ-10s with a Polk RSW650 sub.

My primary goals are to make great CD copies from my 12" disco vinyl and ocassionally make my living room sound like a top-notch disco after a few cocktails. With price as a factor, any thoughts? I was thinking the Shure v15vxmr but it is a little pricey, and although the reviews are raves, it seems like spatialness/separation may be one of it's few weak spots. With what I will be listening to that might be a critical weakness. Anyone familiar with the Shure m97xE? I'm open to all ideas!

I also need advice in aligning the cartridge and balancing the tonearm [I understand the anti-skate and the Q-damping.]

Lastly, I need to replace the 4 wires that connect the cartridge to the headshell. what do I buy and where?

Many thanks in advance for helping out this budding audiophile. Please educate me.

Unregistered guest
use the audio technica AT155LC cartridge or as close as you can get, thoroughly clean the vinyl with a clean soft cloth and windex(yes, standard windex)cycle the record once stylus down volume off, look at the stylus tip -see any dirt on the point yes- cut down a sable touch-up brush leave about 1/4 inch above the metal crimp..this will stiffen the bristles ...be careful not to push too hard ...after a while you'll figure it out ..if its real sticky hard to remove or you can't get all of it off then use a little alcohol...after that you won't believe the difference.....df ..about the wires...they come pre-made in a set (small) you replace them color coded one at a time...>before you mount the stylus...df
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us