DynAudio Audience 42

Anonymous

Good with NAD? Good with Marantz? Good with HK? Talking receivers of course.

HSU Sub? Good match with any bookshelf speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 175
Anon:

With NAD, Dynaudio 42s are incredible. I went to my local Dynaudio dealer to buy a set a couple of days ago only to learn they dropped the line and have no more. They will not work well with either Marantz and H/K, however, as they are true 4 ohms speakers with minimum impedence getting as low as 3.3 ohms at some frequencies. Neither Marantz or H/K are rated to handle such a low impedence speaker.

The 42s are truly one of the great speakers out there. Just a little bit forward, with superb detail and clarity, they are a good match with most receivers and amps. Beyond the low impedence, they do need real power. They are very power hungry, so skip the mass market receivers with the undersized power supplies (Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, et al.). You need something with some real guts. Other than NAD, I would only recommend Rotel and quality separates.

Dr. Hsu, as I have said many times, is THE MAN in subwoofers. His subs are good with anything. They are tuned to go very low, as a true subwoofer should, and they will not be loud or intrusive because they are tuned to go low instead. There are other quality subs makers out there (SVS and Velodyne, for instance), but I think Hsu offers the best bang (or is that "boom") for the buck.

Anonymous

Thank you Hawk, very much. Which NAD and Marantz would be appropriate for the 42s? I wouldn't want to short-change them, that's for sure, and I am unsure how much money to spend on a receiver for these speakers.

I am not positive on the 42s, because they are pricey, but I am hoping that they are worth the additional cash.

Anonymous

Ah I see you say now NOT the Marantz. No Yamaha either that is up to the task? I am not sure I want to fork out a grand for the Rotel. But maybe that is appropriate for these speakers?

Silver Member

Post Number: 189
Anon:

I have ordered an NAD 753. Now my room is quite large--20 wide by 14 deep and 18" ceilings. The room is also open to the second floor and to the kitchen on the left. Still, a 753 with Audience 42s did a very nice job of filling the room.

The T753 has a MSRP of $999, but I got it 20% off, so $799. It has all the power you should need and more to power a HT of Dynaudio 42s and it is stable down to 2 ohms--low impedence speakers are just not a problem. Now, more power is always better, even if not necessary. If you wanted to spend more, you can. But, the 753 will do the job nicely.

How big is your room?

Anonymous

I have an unusual layout with an open floor plan in a townhouse. Relatively small place tho. The whole thing (3 floors) is only 1500 sq ft. High ceilings and the family room being about 20' by 9'. I really don't know if the 42s are overkill for me and my place.

Anonymous

Actually my room sounds like yours. Will the $400 NAD 452 do the trick? My brother-in-law is willing to give me his Marantz (I think it may be a 5300 or 6300) since he is upgrading, but maybe I should steer clear of that? Will it just not sound optimal or will it be bad?

Silver Member

Post Number: 193
Anon:

Actually, from your description, I would think the 42s would be the perfect speaker for your townhouse. I don't think it is either overkill nor do I think they are too small.

Now, I like Marantz HT receivers--I think Marantz does a great job with their receivers (although their separates leave a lot to be desired). However, we have had people on this forum with problems driving 6 ohm speakers with Marantz receivers, so I am rather leery of suggesting a Marantz drive the 42s. I would ask your brother to borrow his Marantz to test the 42s and see how it works for a couple of weeks. If it starts shutting down (say, during the playing of Private Ryan), then you know it isn't going to work for you.

Here is the link to the Dynaudio spec sheet online so that yo can see what I mean about their impedence curve:

http://www.dynaudiousa.com/products/audience/42/aud42spec.htm

I do believe the NAD 743 should work for you. I used to have a house with exactly the same size and similar dimensions, so I can appreciate what you have. The 743 I have priced at $560, so it is really quite reasonable and it will drive 4 ohm speakers. However, the older 742 is not rated to handle 4 ohm speakers, so I cannot endorse it for your situation.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us