Best $1500 front mains for a Denon 3805

Username: Cam

Portland, OR

Post Number: 1
Wise sages and learned ones, I have received a new 3805 for xmas and am looking to replace my speakers. I had klipsch and they just didn't sound good with the denon. I am replacing the fronts and will build center and surrounds based on whatever fronts I acquire. The $1500 budget is for the fronts only.
Suggestions? Advice?

Everything is welcomed.

Bronze Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 57
I have the Denon 3805 as well. Mine is paired with Axiom m22ti's. I had a Denon 2803 with Klipsch reference bookshelves and did not like the combo either. You may want to try a warmer speaker, in which case I would highly recommend Paradigms. $1500 should get you into Paradigm Studio 40's in a bookshelf, or try the Paradigm Monitor 9's if you prefer floorstanding. Other considerations would include Energy (a little dryer than Paradigm), or Axiom if you find the paradigms too "dark".

Another excellent choice would be something from the Polk LSi series.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 228
The Axioms are an excellent choice for Denon, picking up a pair of M60s or M80s would be a great match. I'd also recommend www.ascendacoustics.com . They have a promo right now for their best speaker combination along with an HSU STF3 sub for $1400 shipped.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2254
Gotta go with the Axiom recommendation, specially the M80, outstanding speakers, a little tamer than the Klipsch.

Silver Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 170
For that budget, you could look at something different, Martin Logan Montage (or Mosaic if you could get a good deal). See:

http://www.avrev.com/equip/martinloganmontage/index.html

Username: Cam

Portland, OR

Post Number: 2
I really like the look of the Axiom speakers. Also sounds like they get quite a bit of support on this forum.

Any benefits of going with floor over bookshelf? I assume better bass, but I plan on running a sub so does it matter?

Silver Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 175
Cam, there is no "best" speaker. A lot depends on your room set up, size, budget and tastes. Yes, a lot of folks like Axioms and that probably is fine. My suggestion is of a planar speaker that sounds, to me at least, more open and detailed than box speakers I auditioned. It is all a matter of taste.

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
definatly the MartinLogan Montage!!! Or, if your budget will allow another 500, the mosaic. You just can not beat the planar sound. Being that the mosaic and montage were designed using a Denon reciever, that would be a good match. However, they are also a high end speaker, and will show you the goods when it comes time to upgrade your equipment.

Username: Caligula

Post Number: 7
Cam: You'll enjoy your 3805. I, too, have Axioms and love the pairing. As Jonathan indicated, a lot depends on your room size, etc. as to whether or not to go bookshelf or floor standing ... but you are correct in assuming better bass from a floor standing (in most cases). I'd rely on my sub for deep, low frequency base, but not expect it to compensate for "everday" or "casual" bass ... if that make sense. IMO, you need to get fronts that can handle your routine listening bass needs.

Here's what I have with the 3805 and absolutely love it: M60s (front), VP150 (center), QS8 (surrounds).

Bronze Member
Username: Rickypearson

Post Number: 64
Take a Gander at the Polk Audio Floor standing series, amazing Speaker on all ends of the Spectrum

jimvm
Unregistered guest
Do yourself a favor and look/listen to B&W 705's. They are gorgeous and sound spectacular. Good luck, however, building a center to match.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us