Harman Kardon DPR1001 anybody know how good?

Username: Steveo3818

Post Number: 4
I made an impulsive bid on a HK DPR-1001. Does anyone know anything about this unit besides it being a digital path receiver?

I'm planning on buying an Aperion 5.1 set-up in about 1 week for a very small room (10ft x 16ft) and would receiver be sufficient to drive the speakers in the room?

thanks

Anonymous

before you bid too much they are available online at a couple of etailors for about $500 (e-cost and onecall I think).

Unregistered guest
I bought the DPR 1001 on impulse and i must say it was impressive. The surround processing is excellent. The only problem i had was the amp is only 50 watts per channel. My speakers are highend and demand power. It clipped out during some intense scenes on dvd. They're introducing the DPR 1002 which will have 100x7 later this year. The remote is nice. However i did have a problem with swithing functions dvd, dss, vcr, etc. The remote kept defaulting to AVR. All in all a good receiver for a room like yours. You will be impressed. You can get them for 585 at etronics. I returned it because of lack of power. I bought the Marantz 6400. Better quality components and more power and of course a little more money.

Username: Steveo3818

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the info and advice. I am keeping my bid at $450 on ebay. I will probably look into a Marantz which I have heard good things about.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 181
the H/K DPR-1001 differs from the rest of the H/K line in that it has IC outputs, rather than transistors. This means it runs cooler and and is much more economical for H/K to build. On the other hand, it has higher distortion and no dynamic headroom. This is why Kal suggests it lacks power. It isn't that it is 50 wpc. If you were to compare a 50 wpc NAD receiver (the T742 which you can get for $449) to the DPR-1001, you would never believe both were 50 wpc. The NAD is capable of much more clean sound because its transitor outputs can actually put out much more current to the speakers.

In my opinion, almost any good transistor output receiver beats an IC output receiver because they are much more dynamic and cleaner. Marantz is a very good alternative.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us